2005 offensive line

i've been reflecting on the posts everybody has made in regards to zac taylor's spring game performance. i think the key to the success of the husker offense next year is the big guys up front. some have argued that taylor does go through his progressions and his reads and some have argued otherwise. i wouldnt know because i wasnt there but regardless any QB still will need time and good protection to be able to get the ball to the open receiver, or pure playmaking ability like the daunte culpepper's and brett farve's out there. not only do the offensive linemen need to be able to drop back and form a pocket, but they need to be able to overpower the defensive line for the running plays.

we all know the debacle of last year and so with that being said, what about the o-line for 2005? any info? predictions? im generally optimistic and i hope that the linemen continue to learn and execute against tough teams like the oklahoma's and the texas' programs out there.

Actually, the O-line from last year was one of the few pleasent surprises that Nebraska had. Seppo made a successful transition from defense to offense and came in and played well enough to be moved to left tackle this year, which is the most important position on the line. The line from last year produced a 1000 yard rusher in Ross, and did an adequate job of protecting Joe. With some new blood in the line this year from Juco players, and continued improvement from last year, this O-line could be pretty good.

This was actually one of the bright spots last year. It's obvious we have the guys that can run block, but pass protection will definitely be key. A real blow to the team is Murtha's injury. I am not sure where we'll be in the fall with the Juco guys coming in with Roark and Picou. A lot could change in the fall.

From reading and researching Wagner, he appears to be a great O-line coach, and wasn't that BC's forte as well?

Yes, Callahan got started as an O-line coach, all though he was a quarterback when he played, and he has always identified with the guys in the trench. His apptitude towards the O-line showed last year when he was able to take guys with mediocre talent and switchovers from defense and turn them into a decent O-line.

Actually, the O-line from last year was one of the few pleasent surprises that Nebraska had. Seppo made a successful transition from defense to offense and came in and played well enough to be moved to left tackle this year, which is the most important position on the line. The line from last year produced a 1000 yard rusher in Ross, and did an adequate job of protecting Joe. With some new blood in the line this year from Juco players, and continued improvement from last year, this O-line could be pretty good.

WE AGREE!!!!! YAAAAAAAAY!

I was a sophomore at Wayne State when Wagner took over...the man can really coach!

I really hope Murtha isn't plagued with injuries during his time here at NU. I agree that we could use him. Hell, we can always use guys like him.

I agree with the other guys in this thread about the O-line playing better than expected last year. We did lose a couple anchors in that line to graduation. I look for the line to have a good year. Not awesome, but good.

This was actually one of the bright spots last year. It's obvious we have the guys that can run block, but pass protection will definitely be key. A real blow to the team is Murtha's injury. I am not sure where we'll be in the fall with the Juco guys coming in with Roark and Picou. A lot could change in the fall.

From reading and researching Wagner, he appears to be a great O-line coach, and wasn't that BC's forte as well?

Murtha didn't perform like I thought he would, this spring anyway. He's still young though.

As far as Lydon Murtha goes, I know him personally and I have to say that I am unimpressed with his work ethic and his motivation. Everyone on campus knows about his stupid scooter accident. (by the way, his scooter is about two feet tall, he looks like a clown) Whenever I talk to him, it sounds like he is more concerned about how awesome he is than getting on the field and playing. Hopefully he will change, but those of you who are riding on him holding down the LT position for the next three years, dont be surprised if he falls short of expectations.

As far as Lydon Murtha goes, I know him personally and I have to say that I am unimpressed with his work ethic and his motivation. Everyone on campus knows about his stupid scooter accident. (by the way, his scooter is about two feet tall, he looks like a clown) Whenever I talk to him, it sounds like he is more concerned about how awesome he is than getting on the field and playing. Hopefully he will change, but those of you who are riding on him holding down the LT position for the next three years, dont be surprised if he falls short of expectations.

If I rememeber correctly, wasn't that the knock on him out of high school. Most thought college would turn him around

Last year our Oline was suppose to be the weak link. We have two very good line coaches and they made it work last year will all the Richie being gone crap. I think Wags and BC know how to get the most out of the personel. It will not be one of our best, but it will be adequate.