Ex-Husker Benning new coach at Omaha Northwest

Ex-Husker Benning new coach at Omaha Northwest

By The Lincoln Journal Star

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 - 08:07:55 pm CDT

Former Husker Damon Benning has been named the football coach at Omaha Northwest and Rich Rethwisch is returning to the sidelines as the coach at Wayne.

Benning was a four-year letterman at Nebraska, capping his career with MVP honors in the 1996 Orange Bowl. He ran for 95 yards and two touchdowns to help the Huskers beat Virginia Tech 41-21. Benning was a first-team Super-State selection by the Journal Star after his senior year at Omaha Northwest.

LINK

OK so just to start I'm a Omaha Northwest grad, so people in the Omaha area will probably be able to relate with me on this.

My entire tenure at Northwest was filled with nightmares as far as football is concerned. They won a total of four games in my four years there (one a year) and they made it very hard to watch them play.

This comes way out of left field for me. I mean Damon Benning is a pretty high-profile Nebraska back with strong ties to the football program. I mean, the guy does Husker radio shows and speaks on Big Red Wrap Up during football season. Anybody who knows high school football probably either knows that Northwest is very bad, or they don't even know Northwest exists.

Anybody have info on this? It just seems extremely weird and I'm surprised more attention hasn't been brought to this. Maybe I'm making something out of nothing, but he is held in high regard among Husker fans.

well he was coaching at Burke I know.

Anyways he has a lot of work to do, but didn't they make the playoffs last year and got beat by Millard West 77-0 or was that another team that got in because of stupid NSAA playoff systems

Before I respond to huskerfan500 I'd like to say that I'm not saying Benning shouldn't be coaching in high school or that it is beneath him or anything like that. To me, I figured he was a pretty famous Nebraska player so I figured there would be more info out there on this as opposed to just the little quip from LJS. I'm just wondering why there isn't very much info and if anybody has some if they could share it.

Anyways yes, he does have a lot of work to do. Northwest has a problem attracting talent, and their 2008 Freshman class was lower than 200 and many teachers were laid off. It almost became a secondary school like Blackburn.

And the playoffs are ridiculous. In 2008, Northwest beat South and Benson (or something like that, two other schools that don't have strong football programs). And somehow, this got NW into the tournament and they got destroyed by Millard West. It's a sad, sad system.

Does he know anyting? Tell me about his tenure with the Omaha Beef. How did that go?

I'm curious, I live in Virginia and can't follow all this like y'all can.

He is in my personal Hall of Fame because of his performance against Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl. You know, no one around here would invite me to a New Years Eve party that year.

But back to Benning, what are his credintals? Former huskers are abundant, but many of them can't coach. Can he?

Just Curious.

But back to Benning, what are his credintals? Former huskers are abundant, but many of them can't coach. Can he?

Just Curious.

As far as I know, he coached at another school Omaha Burke but I'm not quite sure.

I think he has a better chance of coaching than other former Huskers because he has kept himself involved in football a lot. He is on a radio show in Omaha called Unsportsmanlike Conduct every once in awhile to discuss football. He is also on an NET show Big Red Wrap Up (which can be viewed online). He pops up around there every once in awhile.

Other than that, I know very little about his coaching career.

Just Curious.

As far as I know, he coached at another school Omaha Burke but I'm not quite sure.

I think he has a better chance of coaching than other former Huskers because he has kept himself involved in football a lot. He is on a radio show in Omaha called Unsportsmanlike Conduct every once in awhile to discuss football. He is also on an NET show Big Red Wrap Up (which can be viewed online). He pops up around there every once in awhile.

Yes I know for a fact he was a coach at Burke- I think he was the DB and RB coach, the link below said but I wasnt focused enough and was too lazy to go back and look for it

here is he is talking about it on 1620 the other day

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?aud...audioId=3588852

Just Curious.

Yes I know for a fact he was a coach at Burke- I think he was the DB and RB coach, the link below said but I wasnt focused enough and was too lazy to go back and look for it

here is he is talking about it on 1620 the other day

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?aud...audioId=3588852

Hey thanks for the link to that broski. :thumbs