Taliban leader says attack on Washington will amaze.

Well gee, since "Vince" has pulled from his experience bag to trump his views on this topic, then I guess I'll pull from my probably inferior bag myself. On 9-11, I had the pleasure of being stationed at Fort McNair in DC. That night, and for 3 weeks after, I had the not so fun of sorting through the rubble of the Pentagon. We looked for parts of bodies, as well as other things.

If a wiretap on those a-holes, who were later found to previously be living at the Skyline Towers nearby, would've prevented that....then you have my heartfelt support. Period.

As an active-duty Marine stationed at MCB Quantico, just south of DC, I would imagine I had nearly the same experience as you on and after Sept 11th. I spent countless hours searching the Pentagon and even more hours on duty waiting to be called if needed. Yet, I couldn't disagree more with your point of view on personal liberties and especially defending the ones afforded to us by our Creator in the Constitution.

As members of the Armed Services we are sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. All of it, not whatever parts we feel are worth defending at any given time. The 4th Amendment specifically prohibits warrant less searches/wiretaps, no matter what they are for. If someone is a perceived threat, get a warrant and tap away.

Amendment 4 - Search and Seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The government has a duty to protect our way of life and the Constitution but not at the expense of our liberties. If the government is allowed to parade around as the protector of freedom, yet allowed to do it any way it pleases, then what are they even protecting? Also, when does it stop and who decides who the perceived threats are? Witch hunts would be rampant and the person(s) with the most political power would decide the threat of the day.

After the heydays in Nazi Germany, a German named Martin Niemöller appeared before Congress and stated, " When Hitler attacked the Jews I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists, I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned. Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church — and there was nobody left to be concerned."

If the government is allowed to use warrant less wiretaps, history guarantees us the loss of freedoms would not stop there. The founders were well aware of the dangers to liberty when too much power is extended to the federal government, which is why they created the Constitution. Our job is too defend it by all means necessary and that means rejecting the fallacy that giving up freedom, like the 4th Amendment, will make us more secure, because it won't.

Well gee, since "Vince" has pulled from his experience bag to trump his views on this topic, then I guess I'll pull from my probably inferior bag myself. On 9-11, I had the pleasure of being stationed at Fort McNair in DC. That night, and for 3 weeks after, I had the not so fun of sorting through the rubble of the Pentagon. We looked for parts of bodies, as well as other things.

If a wiretap on those a-holes, who were later found to previously be living at the Skyline Towers nearby, would've prevented that....then you have my heartfelt support. Period.

As an active-duty Marine stationed at MCB Quantico, just south of DC, I would imagine I had nearly the same experience as you on and after Sept 11th. I spent countless hours searching the Pentagon and even more hours on duty waiting to be called if needed. Yet, I couldn't disagree more with your point of view on personal liberties and especially defending the ones afforded to us by our Creator in the Constitution.

As members of the Armed Services we are sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. All of it, not whatever parts we feel are worth defending at any given time. The 4th Amendment specifically prohibits warrant less searches/wiretaps, no matter what they are for. If someone is a perceived threat, get a warrant and tap away.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The government has a duty to protect our way of life and the Constitution but not at the expense of our liberties. If the government is allowed to parade around as the protector of freedom, yet allowed to do it any way it pleases, then what are they even protecting? Also, when does it stop and who decides who the perceived threats are? Witch hunts would be rampant and the person(s) with the most political power would decide the threat of the day.

After the heydays in Nazi Germany, a German named Martin Niemöller appeared before Congress and stated, " When Hitler attacked the Jews I was not a Jew, therefore I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the Catholics, I was not a Catholic, and therefore, I was not concerned. And when Hitler attacked the unions and the industrialists, I was not a member of the unions and I was not concerned. Then Hitler attacked me and the Protestant church — and there was nobody left to be concerned."

If the government is allowed to use warrant less wiretaps, history guarantees us the loss of freedoms would not stop there. The founders were well aware of the dangers to liberty when too much power is extended to the federal government, which is why they created the Constitution. Our job is too defend it by all means necessary and that means rejecting the fallacy that giving up freedom, like the 4th Amendment, will make us more secure, because it won't.

Yet as an person that stopped those I/ we couldn't see, I welcomed all that I had at my disposal, and more, in order to help make you all safer. The point and fact is, you all just don't know. And that's..... a great thing. Especially for all of you. (No, this is not a personal attack nor is it close to one.)

As active duty and below you're not even at SC1 and barely at RS. (Again, this is not a personal attack nor is it close to one.)

:worship

Agree with all you said..(Sorry, I may have lost sight of the bigger picture before). <_<

But I'd also grant Jack Bower immunity for his actions..and..of course..not "officially" condone his actions ahead of time.

Yet as an person that stopped those I/ we couldn't see, I welcomed all that I had at my disposal, and more, in order to help make you all safer. The point and fact is, you all just don't know. And that's..... a great thing. Especially for all of you. (No, this is not a personal attack nor is it close to one.)

As active duty and below you're not even at SC1 and barely at RS. (Again, this is not a personal attack nor is it close to one.)

I would hope you would welcome all information you could get your hands on to ensure the freedoms and liberties of this country remain entact, but like I said before, if you have to disregard those same liberties to obtain your objective then what are you even protecting???????

To come out and say "You all just don't know" means absolutely nothing. What do I not know? What knowledge do you have that is so superior to the knowledge I have? I'm not asking for specifics, though they would be nice, just general information. As far as the SC1 or RS, I have no clue what those have to do with any security clearance information you are priviledged to, enlighten me please?

Lastly, if you are or were in the "know" what is your opinion on blowback? Do our security actions around the world have unintended consequences and what might some of those be?

:worship

Agree with all you said..(Sorry, I may have lost sight of the bigger picture before). <_<

But I'd also grant Jack Bower immunity for his actions..and..of course..not "officially" condone his actions ahead of time.

Thanks!! I think a lot of people, including myself, lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes. Happens a lot, especially when it comes to the government and many of their policies.

socalhusker: its awesome to hear this kind of thinking from someone in the military. your the kind of solider im proud to support!!! :thumbs

Thank you!! By the way, love the quotes. Ron Paul is one of my personal heroes!! Wish more people would actually listen to him and then maybe we could begin to understand and solve some of the problems plaguing our country.

I would hope you would welcome all information you could get your hands on to ensure the freedoms and liberties of this country remain entact, but like I said before, if you have to disregard those same liberties to obtain your objective then what are you even protecting???????

To come out and say "You all just don't know" means absolutely nothing. What do I not know? What knowledge do you have that is so superior to the knowledge I have? I'm not asking for specifics, though they would be nice, just general information. As far as the SC1 or RS, I have no clue what those have to do with any security clearance information you are priviledged to, enlighten me please?

Lastly, if you are or were in the "know" what is your opinion on blowback? Do our security actions around the world have unintended consequences and what might some of those be?

I can't give specifics but to assume "you all just don't know" means nothing, then I was correct in my original statement. (This is not a personal attack nor is it close to being one)

Love blowback. If it creates a 3rd world cival war and doesn't hurt our interests, then let it happen. But then I'm also a proponant of waterboarding and Gitmo.

If you aren't at least a level 2 then you aren't privy to anything of significance. Sorry if that disappoints anybody; but it's just a fact.

I can't give specifics but to assume "you all just don't know" means nothing, then I was correct in my original statement. (This is not a personal attack nor is it close to being one)

Love blowback. If it creates a 3rd world cival war and doesn't hurt our interests, then let it happen. But then I'm also a proponant of waterboarding and Gitmo.

If you aren't at least a level 2 then you aren't privy to anything of significance. Sorry if that disappoints anybody; but it's just a fact.

You love blowback huh???? You have absolutely no clue what blowback even is. Blowback is the unintended consequences that arise from our meddling in others affairs and it always hurts our interests. It wouldn't be called blowback if it didn't. To say you love something like that and then to reference that you sanction the use of waterboarding and Gitmo as anything remotely in the same ballpark as blowback just shows how ignorant you really are (not meant as a personal insult, just the truth).

As far as security clearances goes, I was a YW Cat 3 during my time with USMC ceremonial platoon and also had TS Clearance when I was attached to combat camera. So if I needed to "know" something, I guarantee you, I knew it. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you, it just seems to me you don't have any regard for the laws you're supposed duty was to protect.

you do realize that 9/11 was result of "blowback" right? are you sayin you "love" that?

so you don't have a problem with the civil wars down in africa? the ones being fought by children... those wars have left millions homeless, and dependent on foreign aid(our aid, our money, our "interests"... that stuff does effect us.)... not to mention the countless that have been killed for what equates to, nothing more than greed.

thats a shame.... thats the best i could do without personal attack

God now im po'd

You love blowback huh???? You have absolutely no clue what blowback even is. Blowback is the unintended consequences that arise from our meddling in others affairs and it always hurts our interests. It wouldn't be called blowback if it didn't. To say you love something like that and then to reference that you sanction the use of waterboarding and Gitmo as anything remotely in the same ballpark as blowback just shows how ignorant you really are (not meant as a personal insult, just the truth).

As far as security clearances goes, I was a YW Cat 3 during my time with USMC ceremonial platoon and also had TS Clearance when I was attached to combat camera. So if I needed to "know" something, I guarantee you, I knew it. I'm not trying to have a pissing contest with you, it just seems to me you don't have any regard for the laws you're supposed duty was to protect.

Yes I do. In fact had you either chosen to or comprehended my post of Love blowback. If it creates a 3rd world cival war and doesn't hurt our interests, then let it happen. But then I'm also a proponent of waterboarding and Gitmo. you wouldn't have posted what you did.

The ignorance come from not being there. Since you haven't been.....well, you know where you stand. (not meant as a personal insult, just a fact).

With your clearance you knew what they told, but don't confuse that with "Need to know". Sorry.

Blowback works because it acknowledges and confirms. With the right training, you'd know what. Again....Sorry.

you do realize that 9/11 was result of "blowback" right? are you sayin you "love" that?

so you don't have a problem with the civil wars down in africa? the ones being fought by children... those wars have left millions homeless, and dependent on foreign aid(our aid, our money, our "interests"... that stuff does effect us.)... not to mention the countless that have been killed for what equates to, nothing more than greed.

God now im po'd

- No it wasn't. Sorry

- No I don't as long as it doesn't impact our interests and people. Besides it's a great way of exposing and focusing on objectives/targets

- No it's not and it wasn't.

Being po'd.....I'm sure you are. That's why only some are recruited and the best make it. Those that aren't and can't; just don't know. And that's a great thing. It can be an ugly business that only some can do. The others just get po'd. And there's nothing wrong with that. Which is ok.

I respect all of your opinions. However I hope you would and do respect what I did for 25 years all in the service of our country. The methods are not to be judged. Only the results. Since I did my job extremely well and am still here after 25 years, that says a lot. Again, it all goes back to what you don't know and should be thankful for it. (Again, not a personal attack nor is it close to being one)

God now im po'd

- No it wasn't. Sorry

- No I don't as long as it doesn't impact our interests and people. Besides it's a great way of exposing and focusing on objectives/targets

Being po'd.....I'm sure you are. That's why only some are recruited and the best make it. Those that aren't and can't; just don't know. And that's a great thing. It can be an ugly business that only some can do. The others just get po'd. And there's nothing wrong with that. Which is ok.

what caused 9.11?

objectives and targets? that would mean that, that particular war was effecting our interests and people.

to be honest i got calls many times, like most kids. my hs friends that ended up in the service tried to get me to join... i was recruited, and to this day i still contemplate doin it. but if i were to join i'd have to give up civil liberties that at this point im not willing to give up. id also more than likely have to fight a war that im against.

not knowing is absolutely horrible, one of my biggest problem with our society. its what causes people to blindly follow politicians who speak nice, or have the medias support. wether its ugly or beautiful the truth is whats needed to advance society. and the lack of truth and knowledge is whats holding us back.

your absolutely right, theres nothing wrong with being po'd, sometimes being po'd is whats needed to get the job done.

God now im po'd

- No it wasn't. Sorry

what caused 9.11?

objectives and targets? that would mean that, that particular war was effecting our interests and people.

to be honest i got calls many times, like most kids. my hs friends that ended up in the service tried to get me to join... i was recruited, and to this day i still contemplate doin it. but if i were to join i'd have to give up civil liberties that at this point im not willing to give up. id also more than likely have to fight a war that im against.

not knowing is absolutely horrible, one of my biggest problem with our society. its what causes people to blindly follow politicians who speak nice, or have the medias support. wether its ugly or beautiful the truth is whats needed to advance society. and the lack of truth and knowledge is whats holding us back.

your absolutely right, theres nothing wrong with being po'd, sometimes being po'd is whats needed to get the job done.

Actually, not knowing for the bulk of the public, is a great thing. And yes, some politicians have an interesting agenda.

Objectives and targets are why it's best for the majority of the not knowing. And that's a good thing.

This is not an apology, but I'm not an a$$hole as I will never apologize for what I've done for my country, me, my family, all of you, and beyond. Again, not knowing is a wonderful thing. Be thankful as you all sleep better in not having a clue as to what is out there on a daily basis.

Maybe this will explain my stance the best. Being in the know isn't what it's cracked up to be. Again, be thankful

God now im po'd

- No it wasn't. Sorry

what caused 9.11?

Actually, not knowing for the bulk of the public, is a great thing. And yes, some politicians have an interesting agenda.

Objectives and targets are why it's best for the majority of the not knowing. And that's a good thing.

This is not an apology, but I'm not an a$$hole as I will never apologize for what I've done for my country, me, my family, all of you, and beyond. Again, not knowing is a wonderful thing. Be thankful as you all sleep better in not having a clue as to what is out there on a daily basis.

Maybe this will explain my stance the best. Being in the know isn't what it's cracked up to be. Again, be thankful

yeah, i mean if the germans knew what hitlers objectives and targets were who wouldv'e supported him? your right, its probably best the public doesn't know :hmmph

don't get me wrong, i understand that an uninformed public helps the military/politicians obtain their objective and targets smoother. and from that point of view, its a good thing... i just question(like the founding fathers suggested) wether their objectives and targets are the right ones. and i prefer to decide that on my own.... before it causes blowback.

no apologies necessary