Observations for 09

For anyone interested Steve Sipple was on 1620 yesterday giving his observations of the team based on attending last Friday's practice. You can check out the podcast. It is April 6th, Seg 7, Kevin with Steve Sipple:

http://1620thezone.com/pages/727732.php

He spoke most highly of Helu, Castille and Suh.

Was there any mention of Okafor? All I heard when we recruited him was what a manchild he was and his greatness. Now, I hear absolutely nothing about him. Is he not panning out, or are there just that many that are better? Is there a chance he makes it into the rotation?

I read a few things about him, but no links. Okafor is a barn burner, but one thing he was criticized for in high school was his inability to make cuts and read holes, something Helu does very well. My guess is that he has the physical tools, mostly, but the mental tools are what is keeping him back. Obviously something is up because Lester Ward is apparently the third back, and Ward wasn't as highly rated as Okafor was.

Yeah, I have heard he is the fastest back we have right now. BUT, if you ever watched his HS footage, all his long runs are pretty much straight down the field. His vision and cutting seems to be his weakness. Hopefully he will develop that a little bit at some point. Some guys never do. Ward was rated a ** in part because he had a hard time staying healthy his last couple of years of high school... if he had the chance to put it together and show what he could do, he pry would have been rated higher. Some players are just natural at finding lanes and making things happen (Helu - Who in many posters opinions when we signed him should have been moved to LB before he stepped on campus :facepalm: )

Spot on with Okafor.

I remember when I first saw Helu, I couldn't believe he was a running back. I remember him being very, very small in his first couple games in 2007.

Combined the potential is sky high for this team, and skys the limit, if just a few more surpises arrive in the fall.

I'll have what you are having. :koolaid2:

In all seriousness though, I hope you are correct.

OU has depth at RB, a good FB in Clapp, 3 260 plus lb TEs, and they can run from the I! Maybe that's why they have won 3 Big 12 titles in a row?

OU is (was?) on a different talent level than NU, unfortunately.

And just because our tight ends have shown that they have some skill as receivers doesn't mean they will be useful blockers in a power running game.

For anyone interested Steve Sipple was on 1620 yesterday giving his observations of the team based on attending last Friday's practice. You can check out the podcast. It is April 6th, Seg 7, Kevin with Steve Sipple:

Was there any mention of Okafor? All I heard when we recruited him was what a manchild he was and his greatness. Now, I hear absolutely nothing about him. Is he not panning out, or are there just that many that are better? Is there a chance he makes it into the rotation?

I read a few things about him, but no links. Okafor is a barn burner, but one thing he was criticized for in high school was his inability to make cuts and read holes, something Helu does very well. My guess is that he has the physical tools, mostly, but the mental tools are what is keeping him back. Obviously something is up because Lester Ward is apparently the third back, and Ward wasn't as highly rated as Okafor was.

Yeah, I have heard he is the fastest back we have right now. BUT, if you ever watched his HS footage, all his long runs are pretty much straight down the field. His vision and cutting seems to be his weakness. Hopefully he will develop that a little bit at some point. Some guys never do. Ward was rated a ** in part because he had a hard time staying healthy his last couple of years of high school... if he had the chance to put it together and show what he could do, he pry would have been rated higher. Some players are just natural at finding lanes and making things happen (Helu - Who in many posters opinions when we signed him should have been moved to LB before he stepped on campus :facepalm: )

Not sure how small Helu was but he was 206 pounds or so as a HS junior.I know he stated last year that he started out at 198 because of an injury but my guess is that he was initially heavier than that.I wouldnt consider a 205 pound junior(HS) at RB as small.I think Lucky weighed in at 202 as a junior and Id consider that to be about an average sized back.

Texas HS football at the 4/5A level does not get any better. Brenham is a good program, been to state and lost before, but Ward comes from a top football program.