Observations for 09

IMO with Antonio Bell emerging, kyler Reed Khiry Cooper and Martinez NU is loaded. We need maybe two of the Freshman to be good enough to contribute, Burkhead is ready and could be put in the slot position and the 09 team will be nearly impossible to stop. the biggest surprise we could get is B Qvale is ready for prime time, its been a while since an Olineman emerged in his first fall, but you should try and remember the impact Will Shields had, we just need one great surprise on offense and defense that can add depth early and play into a starting role by year end, Qvale might be the guy. Same would be true on D line

the TX Dline man who was player of the year may be the other guy who can contribute in the fall as a rotational player that is good enough, but not necessary, to take starts by year end. I see Crick and Baker as huge question marks, if one or the other makes Suhs double teams non productive, we'll go far. Line backer speed is headed up, saftey tackling and recognition must go up several notches, way too many plays got away from safeties last year.

In watsons offense, we can run whatever the opponents weakness are. If Watson sees Lester as a Chris Brown look out, big 12 defenses are not re tooled to stop the power option game, as everyone has spent the last few years adding speed to stop the wide recvr sets, and offenses have focused on the recvrs and timing game. You bring power into this league at this time and i think you hurt everyone else. our depth at TE will enable the power game, and where its not needed will be upgraded with repect to offensive production as well, Reed is a dimnesional rule breaker at the position......He can get on a block faster, and has great hands while in recv mode. Combined the potential is sky high for this team, and skys the limit, if just a few more surpises arrive in the fall.

Some good points. One thing I'd like to point out, however.

I have always been a fan of bringing up some sort of power run game into our offense, because I think it would be devastating against these defenses put in place to stop the spread. However, I don't think our offense is ready for it just yet. We had a lot of problems last year on the o-line as far as the power running game went. We got better as the season went on but it still wasn't anything to brag about most of the time. Our best runs generally came out of the shotgun formation and not Power I or Ace sets.

We do have a lot of depth at Tight End, but their blocking last year was poor and lackluster, which is why a lot of our running came out of the spread sets. Our tight ends just couldn't block like we needed them too, thus they spent a lot of the season running routes and catching some balls.

I think we have all the tools to have somewhat of a successful power game, but we really need our o-line to step up and our tight ends to get much better at blocking. Hopefully guys like Reed and Cotton can step in and help with this.

Good post though!

IMO with Antonio Bell emerging, kyler Reed Khiry Cooper and Martinez NU is loaded. We need maybe two of the Freshman to be good enough to contribute, Burkhead is ready and could be put in the slot position and the 09 team will be nearly impossible to stop. the biggest surprise we could get is B Qvale is ready for prime time, its been a while since an Olineman emerged in his first fall, but you should try and remember the impact Will Shields had, we just need one great surprise on offense and defense that can add depth early and play into a starting role by year end, Qvale might be the guy. Same would be true on D line

the TX Dline man who was player of the year may be the other guy who can contribute in the fall as a rotational player that is good enough, but not necessary, to take starts by year end. I see Crick and Baker as huge question marks, if one or the other makes Suhs double teams non productive, we'll go far. Line backer speed is headed up, saftey tackling and recognition must go up several notches, way too many plays got away from safeties last year.

In watsons offense, we can run whatever the opponents weakness are. If Watson sees Lester as a Chris Brown look out, big 12 defenses are not re tooled to stop the power option game, as everyone has spent the last few years adding speed to stop the wide recvr sets, and offenses have focused on the recvrs and timing game. You bring power into this league at this time and i think you hurt everyone else. our depth at TE will enable the power game, and where its not needed will be upgraded with repect to offensive production as well, Reed is a dimnesional rule breaker at the position......He can get on a block faster, and has great hands while in recv mode. Combined the potential is sky high for this team, and skys the limit, if just a few more surpises arrive in the fall.

In my humble opinion Rex Burkhead will redshirt because there are just too many guys ahead of him who have been in the system for a year or more: Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, etc. And if you believe what RB coach Tim Beck said, Lester Ward is really coming on strong. Basically, as a rule true freshmen only play out of sheer dire need. Now could Rex see the field as a true freshman? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it.

Brent Qvale, whose name breaks the Qu rule of the English language, but I digress terribly, and Thaddeus Randle will redshirt more than likely as well-and for the same reason(s) as Rex.

Plus Thaddeus Randle is listed as 6'1" 255 rivals.com -- There is no way he'll see the field as a true freshman DT at 255 pounds.

(To clarify about Randle...there is a way he could see the field as a 255 true freshman but there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances.)

In my humble opinion Rex Burkhead will redshirt because there are just too many guys ahead of him who have been in the system for a year or more: Helu, Castille, Okafor, Ward, etc. And if you believe what RB coach Tim Beck said, Lester Ward is really coming on strong. Basically, as a rule true freshmen only play out of sheer dire need. Now could Rex see the field as a true freshman? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it.

Brent Qvale, whose name breaks the Qu rule of the English language, but I digress terribly, and Thaddeus Randle will redshirt more than likely as well-and for the same reason(s) as Rex.

Plus Thaddeus Randle is listed as 6'1" 255 rivals.com -- There is no way he'll see the field as a true freshman DT at 255 pounds.

(To clarify about Randle...there is a way he could see the field as a 255 true freshman but there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances.)

Yours is Conventional thinking probability for truth value is high.

Burkhead is needed as a blocker first and so he can be fitted into the slot and be asked to learn less, and less is better for a true freshman. The slot receiver for Watsons bigger plan is the guy who unlike Mendoza can get into space and take someone out. Rex has the characteristics of the guy to do this, a team player first, who can make a huge contribution because of his willingness to undergo his initiation as a role player first.

Qvale is also an outlier, in that the guy has the feet and his basketball production indicates he can run, if J Burkes is a ? mark, Qvale can be slotted into the mix and brought along in packages, again breaking away from expectations providing depth and preparation.

Generally Freshmen should be redshirted unless they posess distinct qualities to expand potential for the holistic package.

Randle has speed and lower body power, and that combination cant be taught, if he's anywhere close to above average, and ready now, he can get/be as much benefit from playing as redshirting. The DL will be key, Crick and baker might have what it takes, to shatter all illusions of doube and triple teaming SUH. If they dont, and Randle shows in practice he is special... than put him into rotations and bring him along now. I see these 3 as having the intangibles necessary to make a contribution to the depth chart right away. If that potential is real and not imagined than we can expect a better outcome for the coming years team.

The slot rec and tight end give us more than recvr potential, these two positions can add blockers in space, and me thinks we have massive potential if we have those special guys in space who wont be denied. Kyler Reed is one, Burkehead the other. The ability to do power option and spread is available to Watson, B12 teams are ill prepared for a speed power team....a few key pieces and oila...magic.

I'll have what you are having. :koolaid2:

In all seriousness though, I hope you are correct.

I'll have what you are having. :koolaid2:

In all seriousness though, I hope you are correct.

OU has depth at RB, a good FB in Clapp, 3 260 plus lb TEs, and they can run from the I! Maybe that's why they have won 3 Big 12 titles in a row?

koolaid is flowing in this thread....

Would be awesome if you were right about these guys making a big splash like that. BUT, here is how I see it.

Thad Randle has poor footwork. he was able to do what he did against high schoolers, (yes, decent comp it texas, but still) but don't count on it carrying over to BIG 12 olinemen.... who block DT's on a regular basis that have been in a college system for sometimes 4 or 5 years.

Burkhead has decent size and speed, but he is going to be a running back. The coaches have said this and Rex has said this. He is going to be here for fall camp, so IF.... BIG IF, he is placed in the slot for a few formations I am not sure it would be worth burning his eligibility. There is no way he is going to be better at blocking schemes than guys that have been here. If I am wrong, I will admit it, but I don't see it happening.

Qvale is a beast, that is for sure. But again... you are talking about a lineman that played against pretty weak high school competition. Coming in for fall camp and actually dominating? He is going to overtake one of our other tackles? I doubt it. Too much technique involved that these guys didn't have to worry about in high school.

The staff is pretty adamant about NOT wasting a year of eligibility if a guy is going to be a down the depth chart or see mop up duty. If burkhead is a stud returner, then we may see him out there as a True freshman.

Out of all the newcomers I see WR and CB (nickel or dime) places for contribution...

So Brandon Kinnie and Antonio Bell at WR on certain plays

Gomes at CB in nickel situations, as he learns the D, he could push for PT at one of the other corner positions.

koolaid is flowing in this thread....

Would be awesome if you were right about these guys making a big splash like that. BUT, here is how I see it.

Thad Randle has poor footwork. he was able to do what he did against high schoolers, (yes, decent comp it texas, but still) but don't count on it carrying over to BIG 12 olinemen.... who block DT's on a regular basis that have been in a college system for sometimes 4 or 5 years.

Burkhead has decent size and speed, but he is going to be a running back. The coaches have said this and Rex has said this. He is going to be here for fall camp, so IF.... BIG IF, he is placed in the slot for a few formations I am not sure it would be worth burning his eligibility. There is no way he is going to be better at blocking schemes than guys that have been here. If I am wrong, I will admit it, but I don't see it happening.

Qvale is a beast, that is for sure. But again... you are talking about a lineman that played against pretty weak high school competition. Coming in for fall camp and actually dominating? He is going to overtake one of our other tackles? I doubt it. Too much technique involved that these guys didn't have to worry about in high school.

The staff is pretty adamant about NOT wasting a year of eligibility if a guy is going to be a down the depth chart or see mop up duty. If burkhead is a stud returner, then we may see him out there as a True freshman.

Out of all the newcomers I see WR and CB (nickel or dime) places for contribution...

So Brandon Kinnie and Antonio Bell at WR on certain plays

Gomes at CB in nickel situations, as he learns the D, he could push for PT at one of the other corner positions.

Spot on.

quite frankly, there is a reason why Bo prefers to redshirt his youngsters. i don't see that changing anytime soon...

:yeah

Unless they are some god given talent (like Ahman Green was his true Freshman year), everybody should be redshirted imho.

For anyone interested Steve Sipple was on 1620 yesterday giving his observations of the team based on attending last Friday's practice. You can check out the podcast. It is April 6th, Seg 7, Kevin with Steve Sipple:

http://1620thezone.com/pages/727732.php

He spoke most highly of Helu, Castille and Suh.

Was there any mention of Okafor? All I heard when we recruited him was what a manchild he was and his greatness. Now, I hear absolutely nothing about him. Is he not panning out, or are there just that many that are better? Is there a chance he makes it into the rotation?

For anyone interested Steve Sipple was on 1620 yesterday giving his observations of the team based on attending last Friday's practice. You can check out the podcast. It is April 6th, Seg 7, Kevin with Steve Sipple:

Was there any mention of Okafor? All I heard when we recruited him was what a manchild he was and his greatness. Now, I hear absolutely nothing about him. Is he not panning out, or are there just that many that are better? Is there a chance he makes it into the rotation?

I read a few things about him, but no links. Okafor is a barn burner, but one thing he was criticized for in high school was his inability to make cuts and read holes, something Helu does very well. My guess is that he has the physical tools, mostly, but the mental tools are what is keeping him back. Obviously something is up because Lester Ward is apparently the third back, and Ward wasn't as highly rated as Okafor was.

I read a few things about him, but no links. Okafor is a barn burner, but one thing he was criticized for in high school was his inability to make cuts and read holes, something Helu does very well. My guess is that he has the physical tools, mostly, but the mental tools are what is keeping him back. Obviously something is up because Lester Ward is apparently the third back, and Ward wasn't as highly rated as Okafor was.

Yeah, I have heard he is the fastest back we have right now. BUT, if you ever watched his HS footage, all his long runs are pretty much straight down the field. His vision and cutting seems to be his weakness. Hopefully he will develop that a little bit at some point. Some guys never do. Ward was rated a ** in part because he had a hard time staying healthy his last couple of years of high school... if he had the chance to put it together and show what he could do, he pry would have been rated higher. Some players are just natural at finding lanes and making things happen (Helu - Who in many posters opinions when we signed him should have been moved to LB before he stepped on campus :facepalm: )