Jerry Rice to play for Bronco's

DaveH

For God's sake, someone needs to get Jerry Rice and Ricky Henderson in a room together and there can be an intervention to get these guys to retire and not further tarnish their legacies. It's just sad that Rice will be, at best, the 4th or 5th receiver for the Broncos, IF he even makes the team.

For God's sake, someone needs to get Jerry Rice and Ricky Henderson in a room together and there can be an intervention to get these guys to retire and not further tarnish their legacies. It's just sad that Rice will be, at best, the 4th or 5th receiver for the Broncos, IF he even makes the team.

Is he really tarning his "legacy" or adding to it?? He's 40 whatever and still competing.....

Well, let's bear in mind that this is to be expected, actually. Rice's inability to leave the sport is a direct result of what made him great in the first place - a competive desire that won't let him admit defeat.

And as for the legacy - that's his to decide, just as it was his to develop. What the hell - I say keep playing as long as you can. Love of the game and all that...

Ok, fair enough, BUT I ask a question of you. What's worse: retiring on your own terms and the public remembering you for your glory years, or playing till you have to be told you don't have it anymore by every single team, you are an afterthought to everyone, and people could care less about you anymore? Ricky Henderson holds 3 of the most prestigious records in baseball and still won't give it up. He hasn't played in the majors in 2 years because he still has the dilusion that he can get it done. Jerry is heading down this road as well. From All Star/All-Pro for several years, to still being a big contributer, to hanging on a little too long, to not being wanted by any team and still not giving it up. I love both of their passions for the game, but their aging bodies can't make the plays that their head thinks they still can.

Ive been reading this board for quite some time which I feel is a very good one, and appreciate all of your opinions, so please don’t take my comments personally.

I see both sides of this debate, but who are we (as fans, media) to dictate when players should retire? If they still have a passion for the game and can accept being reduced to a very limited role, why not? They obviously love the game, and if they dont have a problem with virtually being nothing more than a pseudo player/coach with a jersey, WHY SHOULD WE? In my opinion they've more than earned the right to make this decision themselves. Heck, I still play in some co-ed sports leagues, but should I quit b/c I cant compete at my highest level anymore? Well that’s debatable, but I still have fun so I aint leavin!

And dont think this is just a courtesy these teams are doing for these legends, even though they probably deserve it anyway; these teams are benefiting greatly from their presence, simply from the invaluable mental teachings they're sharing with the younger guys. And when they dont have the ability to even make a practice squad anymore, dont worry, capitalism will take precedence and they will be sent packing, as they already have.

At the end of the day – and careers - it's not *our* legacy. And if we as sports fans are greedy enough with our entitled attitude to get angry with these guys b/c they are going to “screw up” OUR image of THEM in our minds - maybe we need to ask Pat Sajak if we can buy a clue. It’s THEIR lives, not ours. And if OUR lives are so meaningless that we are bothered b/c we feel the image of another grown man who we happen to unhealthily idolize is being “tainted”!... then maybe we need to concentrate a bit more on our lives, instead of someone elses. Eh?

Peace, love, and Go Big RED!!

Ok, fair enough, BUT I ask a question of you. What's worse: retiring on your own terms and the public remembering you for your glory years, or playing till you have to be told you don't have it anymore by every single team, you are an afterthought to everyone, and people could care less about you anymore?

***SNIP***

Worse in what way? Rice's place in the game is secure - a hands-down first ballot Hall of Famer. His endorsements won't suffer, either. So, really, there's no downside.

Take Joe Namath, for example. He played for a couple of years after his body had shut down. While watching him during that time was painful, it in no way diminished his standing in history.

Michael Jordan. Never should have gone to the Wizards. Clearly past his prime. Still considered the greatest to play the game. Those last couple of years haven't diminished his standing in the least.

Another example - Mike Tyson. Yes, he should not be fighting, and yes, his prime is in the far past, but when folks think of him, they think of the dominate boxer that looked unbeatable. That's why they continue to buy his pay-per-view bouts.

Again, what's the harm? The fans care far more than the player. If the player derives enjoyment from continuing, and can handle a reduced role, why should the fans care other than to hope that the player is happy doing what he loves to do?

It's true the risk of injury goes up - but injury is something that the player accepts as a possible cost to play. Let 'em do what they love to do...

Take Joe Namath, for example. He played for a couple of years after his body had shut down. While watching him during that time was painful, it in no way diminished his standing in history.

Joe Willy was never all that great anyways, known mainly for his personality. He is statistically the WORST quarterback in the hall.

Michael Jordan.  Never should have gone to the Wizards.  Clearly past his prime.  Still considered the greatest to play the game.  Those last couple of years haven't diminished his standing in the least.

Bad Comparison. MJ was a starter and still an all star. His time in the game was past, but he was still in the top 5-10% of the league. Jerry Rice has faded fast in the last 2 years.

Another example - Mike Tyson.  Yes, he should not be fighting, and yes, his prime is in the far past, but when folks think of him, they think of the dominate boxer that looked unbeatable.  That's why they continue to buy his pay-per-view bouts.

Disagree on this as well. Mike Tyson is still followed because he is an unpredictable freak show and people tune in to see if he is going to snap. Boxing is pretty bland and his bizarre personality gains interest for the sport.

And BigRedMinister, my life isn't going to be changed by whether or not Jerry Rice catches another pass or flips burgers for the rest of his life. Some people probably love to see Rice suit up still, but he is a shell of what he used to be and I don't make a point of checking out his highlights anymore, the very few and far between. At some point it gets to be painful for a GM/head coach to try and break it to the all time leading receiver in the history of the game that he can't cut it. I agree that the knowledge he passes on is a value in itself, but I have heard that Rice is a loner and kind of a jerk to boot, so don't know about that in this situation. He can go ahead and keep playing if he makes squads and is happy being a nothing player and people can go ahead and watch or not watch him. I guess if I were in his shoes, I would have chose to go out on top.

Take Joe Namath, for example.  He played for a couple of years after his body had shut down.  While watching him during that time was painful, it in no way diminished his standing in history.

Joe Willy was never all that great anyways, known mainly for his personality. He is statistically the WORST quarterback in the hall.

Michael Jordan.  Never should have gone to the Wizards.  Clearly past his prime.  Still considered the greatest to play the game.  Those last couple of years haven't diminished his standing in the least.

Bad Comparison. MJ was a starter and still an all star. His time in the game was past, but he was still in the top 5-10% of the league. Jerry Rice has faded fast in the last 2 years.

Another example - Mike Tyson.  Yes, he should not be fighting, and yes, his prime is in the far past, but when folks think of him, they think of the dominate boxer that looked unbeatable.  That's why they continue to buy his pay-per-view bouts.

Disagree on this as well. Mike Tyson is still followed because he is an unpredictable freak show and people tune in to see if he is going to snap. Boxing is pretty bland and his bizarre personality gains interest for the sport.

***SNIP***

I think you're missing my point. You poisted that Rice remaining in the game at his diminished capacity is "worse". My point is that it isn't "worse"; it can only be worse if it somehow diminishes his standing. My examples were to demonstrate that those who remained after their prime didn't diminish their standing in their sport. So to say it's worse to stay than to go has to mean that you believe it's worse in the eyes of the fan. But it isn't the fan's career - why begrudge the player the opportunity to do what he loves? Who is actually hurt by it? Not the player - those who have played a little past their time weren't eventually "diminished" in terms of their standing.

***SNIP***

I think you're missing my point. You poisted that Rice remaining in the game at his diminished capacity is "worse". My point is that it isn't "worse"; it can only be worse if it somehow diminishes his standing. My examples were to demonstrate that those who remained after their prime didn't diminish their standing in their sport. So to say it's worse to stay than to go has to mean that you believe it's worse in the eyes of the fan. But it isn't the fan's career - why begrudge the player the opportunity to do what he loves? Who is actually hurt by it? Not the player - those who have played a little past their time weren't eventually "diminished" in terms of their standing.

You missed my point too, apparently. I just said:

I guess if I were in his shoes, I would have chose to go out on top.

You may have had a valid point, but your examples were not very good at all. I don't care one way or another about Rice. He is a shell of what he used to be. You are correct for the most part, most people don't remember Willie Mays playing for the Mets, or OJ Simpson playing for the 49ers, or Babe Ruth playing for Milwaukee, and so on the list could go. Do I think Rice is ruining his legacy? No. Do I think that by holding on till he can't possibly no more is taking a little shine off the brilliant career he has had? Maybe a little bit. He will still hold the records, still be a first ballot hall of famer, he still gets a paycheck and still gets to play the game he loves. Do I think that should be taken away from him? No, but I think it would be better to bow out gracefully than to be forced out, i.e. getting cut from a team and twisting in the wind like Ricky Henderson.

Maybe he personally enjoys that. It's a challenge to him. Or maybe he likes teaching the younger guys what he knows. When something has been your whole life it's tough to give it up....and why should he?

• 3 months later...

Jerry Rice is going to retire. He thought he had the #3 receiver spot sown up, then Darius Watts ripped it away from him with a solid final game in the preseason. Rice was dropped to the 5th option at receiver and Shannahan said Rice may have not suited up for some games because of his refusal to contribute to special teams. Apparently, Rice is going to sign a 1 day contract and retire as a 49er. The end of a storied career for a great receiver.