Nu vs Mizzou recruiting

I know a lot of big 12 schools go after the same recruits just bc we are recruiting the same regions most of the time. However, has anyone else noticed that even if we offer a recruit from the south Mizzou will offer them within a few days? It's just very annoying to me and makes me think about 2007 when they just raded our recruits bc we were having a down year. Do your own damn scouting and recruiting.

I know a lot of big 12 schools go after the same recruits just bc we are recruiting the same regions most of the time. However, has anyone else noticed that even if we offer a recruit from the south Mizzou will offer them within a few days? It's just very annoying to me and makes me think about 2007 when they just raded our recruits bc we were having a down year. Do your own damn scouting and recruiting.

Who says they don't? :dunno

But, at the same time though, it is easier to offer kids who already have a major program after them. To wit, Nebraska offers a kid next thing you know a bunch of other schools offer. USC offers and then a bunch of other Pac-10 schools offer. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Ya but it usually sticks to regions. Lets say USC offers a kid from arizona, or oregon, it would be pretty normal for ucla to offer them. On the other hand if USC offers a pretty unknown kid from Mass. it would be a lot less likely that ucla offers the same kid a few days later. With Mizzou it doesnt matter who NU offers or where they go to school...texas, kansas, florida, louisana, alabama..it doesnt matter they will offer if we offer. I know they have different targets than NU does but for the most part it seems if NU offers Mizzou is going to follow.

Ya but it usually sticks to regions. Lets say USC offers a kid from arizona, or oregon, it would be pretty normal for ucla to offer them. On the other hand if USC offers a pretty unknown kid from Mass. it would be a lot less likely that ucla offers the same kid a few days later. With Mizzou it doesnt matter who NU offers or where they go to school...texas, kansas, florida, louisana, alabama..it doesnt matter they will offer if we offer. I know they have different targets than NU does but for the most part it seems if NU offers Mizzou is going to follow.

I'm being a devil's advocate here: How do you know, with 100% certainty, that the other school(s) didn't offer the kid before Nebraska?

I guess I don't know with 100% accuracy I'm just going by what's reported.

The point of this is that I don't really care if other schools offer a scholarship to a kid after we've offered...it doesn't bother me.

In fact, it reassures me that we're getting really good players since a host of other schools want the player we do.

It goes all ways. And as Jen said, how do you know that MU didnt offer first.

#1 - most kids, if offered by a BCS school will infact recieve a number of offers

#2 - i am sure your info is coming from huskersillustrated. No way that would be a biased website... :rolleyes:

#3 - schools have different timelines. Some start early offers for JRs in sept (NU as of late) Some offer in Oct. (MU pretty consistanly for the last few yrs)

#4 - and this a BIG ONE, MU hired Josh Henson, the old LSU recruiting cord. SOOOOOO that would mean that Hensons ties lie in Lousiana, Georgia, Alabama, Florida so on. That could be a BIG reason why you see their name popping up on SE kids.

I will in fact tell you that MU gives a lot of kids their first major offer and within a few weeks, sometimes days KU's name will always show up and as of late Nebraska's as well. Infact over the past 2 years most of the BIG 12 starts sniffing around. Those are more believable that a coach or team is watching to see what goes out. When a player has non-BCS offers. MU offers, people act surprised about a major college offering, other coaches go watch the film, then all of a sudden offers come rolling in.

MU has developed a pretty strong rep for finding diamonds. Little known kids who maybe are a little small. Go to small schools. Get outshined by others on their teams but do all the right things. Those type of kids built the program as it is today. So now when MU offers a kid from Texas no one knows about. I know the BIG 12 north will be sniffing around soon...

BTW that "raid" your talking about. MU offered those kids long before they switched. MU offered kids, MISSOURI kids at that, althrough the 90's but they went to NU, even though we offered first. Just because your first, doesnt mean your the best fit.

it seems to me that KU is going after all the same guys as us. I just can't understand how we could ever lose recruits to Kansas in football. I mean, would a basketball recruit ever pick NU over NU? Maybe once in a blue moon would that ever happen.

I understand where your going with that, but KU has atlease had some success in football.

Nebraska basketball on the other hand.....:lol:

:clap

I haven't taken the time to determine chronological order, but. For some time I've also noticed north schools offering the same recruits. I thought perhaps it was an effort to deny a north opponent a very good potential player so they would have to take a lesser quality. With the hundreds of potential recruits it obviously seems to be more that mere coincidence.

And of course, we've gone against Oklahoma from Bill's tenure through Bo's seeking some of the same recruits. Without much luck recently. See Travis Lewis and OK's recent quarterback recruit. The day we clear that hurdle will be a day of infamy(sorta).

Going after the other guys recruit just makes since so long as he fits your wants and needs. After all, if NU snags a great QB that Mu is after, that fills a need and denies an opponent the opportunity to do the same. 2 birds, 1 stone.

Also, realistically, you can't expect every team to scout/notice every prospect. If another team offers a kid, it brings him to the attention of those who might not have noticed him, especailly those with similar schemes or needs.