40 times verses the 10 yard "burst"

For those who haven't seen the Alexander play or have just forgotten ..

Michael Irvin's first show of '4th and Long' had some great insight about a 40 time. Michael said he didn't care about what some guys ran in some spandex with track shoes on, he only cared about what you ran when you put those pads on. That and he only cared how much you could sustain that speed over the course of a game.

On that show Michael had a couple little speedsters and a track athlete, but none of them could break the high 4.5's in pads.

The 40 yard dash as it is done in workouts is absolutely and completely worthless.

Naw, not worthless, just overhyped. HuskerJen has it right. 40 times are not entirely meaningless. It’s just another stat to consider.

Besides, there is a correlation between a kid’s speed in spandex with track shoes on, and how fast he runs with pads. And it wouldn’t be practical to time players in pads. Some would game the system with minimal pads and lightweight shoes.

Yes, worthless. When a player puts on spandex to run a fly route versus an NFL caliber CB, you let me know. Then it may be worth something to me.

Even more worthless because this only measures straight line speed. The only time you would see a player using straight line speed is in a breakaway event such as a long run or an INT return. However, those things happen in the NFL infrequently.

You want to measure someones speed, get out the 20 yard shuttle or 3 cone drill. Those are actual drills that show change of direction quickness which is something needed by all NFL players.

And no, you would not get to cheat the system if equipment is provided by the league, the same as it is at the combine. Simple solution.

Irwin's probably just repeating some great soundbite he overheard.

So let's see if I got this right:

1) There's few (if any) interception or kickoff returns in the NFL.

2) Running and timing the 40 yard dash has NO value what-so-ever..Because everyone runs them in spandex..or at least could.

I don't think anyone here has stated the 40 is more valuable than the 10..the shuttle, or the pro agility run..but "worthless? maybe Worth Less, but not without any kind of value.

It's pretty safe to assume no one on the HS level tries to get their best time while in pads..shoot, I almost didn't even wear anything but my jockstrap..I even tried running it barefoot the last time I was timed. (I also removed my thighpads and kneepads at halftime durring a game against Broken Bow so I could help out a little better in pass coverage...

So..all things being pretty much equal..(Good hands..field vision) Who would you rather run back Kickoffs? the kid that got timed in his spandex in the 40 at 4.45 or the kid that ran it in 6.0 when he was in spandex?

Neither with your philosophy cause we'd want/need the 10.0 100m kid.

So what sprints are they doing to evaluate then?

LJS - Pelini: Helu's looked tremendous

Pelini: Helu's looked tremendousBy BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / The Associated Press

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 - 07:05:38 pm CDT

A guy gains a little weight and it’s all the talk. So it goes for Roy Helu, who showed up to spring football looking more Hulkish, toting 222 pounds, 15 more than he had at the end of last season.

For any Husker backers worried the extra bulk might slow the running back and take the hurdling out of his game, the words of Bo Pelini after Saturday’s practice should ease concern.

The Husker head coach was heavy on praise for Helu, saying he has looked tremendous through three spring practices.

“He’s really picked up where he left off,” Pelini said. “I think he’s bigger, he’s faster. I think he’s feeling good. He looks like he’s smaller and he’s actually carrying more weight. Obviously the strength staff did a tremendous job and you got to give credit to Roy. He worked his tail off and it’s paying off for him.”

Coming off a team-best 803 rushing yards as a sophomore last year, Helu recently ran the fastest sprint time he’s had at NU.

“He looks pretty special,” Pelini said.

Our trainers and coaches both are putting more emphasis on explosion (i.e., 10 yard times) than anything else.

IIRC, Helu had the fastest 10 yard time of anyone on the team.

Our trainers and coaches both are putting more emphasis on explosion (i.e., 10 yard times) than anything else.

demmit...you beat me to it.

I would hedge to bet they didn't even run 40-yard dashes, especially in the spring.

And not only will pads slow you down. Time a guy wearing pads in the 40, then time him wearing pads and carrying a football.

(37, please don't try this yourself :) )

demmit...you beat me to it.

I would hedge to bet they didn't even run 40-yard dashes, especially in the spring.

And not only will pads slow you down. Time a guy wearing pads in the 40, then time him wearing pads and carrying a football.

(37, please don't try this yourself :) )

True. But if two players in spandex and track shoes run a 4.37 and 4.50, who would be faster when the pads are on? I'm guessing it'll be the 4.37 guy.

True. But if two players in spandex and track shoes run a 4.37 and 4.50, who would be faster when the pads are on? I'm guessing it'll be the 4.37 guy.

actually I would have to disagree. I think this is something you would have to evaluate on a player by player basis, as different players carry extra weight differently. It was commonly known that the fastest guy on our high school team was not the fastest player in pads, conversly I would hate to have to rank that off one testing day.

That being said, the fullback in the video that started all of this is slow as hell.

actually I would have to disagree. I think this is something you would have to evaluate on a player by player basis, as different players carry extra weight differently. It was commonly known that the fastest guy on our high school team was not the fastest player in pads, conversly I would hate to have to rank that off one testing day.

That being said, the fullback in the video that started all of this is slow as hell.

I'm just saying that if all things are equal...

Meaning two players are in spandex and track suits and they run a 4.37 and 4.50 40 respectively...

If you put pads on those players and both sets of pads weighs 10 pounds...

Then the 4.37 guy will probably clock in at a 4.50 time while the 4.50 will probably clock in at a 4.63.

The point is, that the 40 time while over-hyped isn't worthless or meaningless.