New Recruits

Dont know much about Menelik Holt. Oh, I will tell you about Menelik holt. The man is big, I mean like Randy Moss big. Not quite as fast, runs about a 4.6 consistantly. Has great hands, and is a Javon Walker, Randy Moss kind of receiver. Lots of fly routes and posts and jump balls. Good red zone receiver. Almost reminds me of Mike Williams from USC.

Most feel Freeman is to big to play quarterback. He measuered in at 6'6.5" Not many pro QB's have ever made a start at that height. He is still growing. Rivals does not consider his future as a QB.

Nebraska recruited him as a QB and will get his shot.

Holt is suppose to be very good. From the San Diego area. I will try to get some more information on him.

Its kind of curious, the majority of the WRs that cally has been recruiting have been bigger guys who are kind of slow for Div I WRs. Holt is reported to run a 4.63 40, he is not rated by Rivals right now, but is on their watch list.

As for Freeman, if the report is right and he was told that he was the only qb this year, that is a recruiting tactic being utilized by this staff that is not all that great.

From Omaha.com: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1427679

"Last year, Callahan secured Beck, then said he wouldn't recruit any other quarterbacks. He also signed junior college transfer Zac Taylor, but only after securing Beck's permission first.

Freeman said the coaching staff told him he was their man for the 2006 recruiting class."

Freeman seems to be big and strong and may end up being good, but he is pretty raw. IMO, Alex Cate has better potential, but apparently he is no longer a target.

Seems like they are pretty decent catches.

Its kind of curious, the majority of the WRs that cally has been recruiting have been bigger guys who are kind of slow for Div I WRs. Holt is reported to run a 4.63 40, he is not rated by Rivals right now, but is on their watch list.

I don't think you need every reciever to be an absolute burner. They need to by physical enough to paw around CB's especially on some of the shorter routes IMO.

As far as his time, who knows. There have been guys all over the map as far as 40 time. Hell, Fabian ran, what, a 4.27 at combine. I don't think he ever really got close to that number at NU. I guess my point is if he can shave a tenth or so by the time he becomes a playmaker, that would be great.

Has Callahan made the same promise to Freeman? I haven't heard that. Sure, he was probably our main target at QB for this class and we probably won't go after others as hard. But that doesn't mean it's the same deal as Beck. At least until I hear otherwise.

I don't think you need every reciever to be an absolute burner. They need to by physical enough to paw around CB's especially on some of the shorter routes IMO.

As far as his time, who knows. There have been guys all over the map as far as 40 time. Hell, Fabian ran, what, a 4.27 at combine. I don't think he ever really got close to that number at NU. I guess my point is if he can shave a tenth or so by the time he becomes a playmaker, that would be great.

True, but it seems like the only guy that I would put into the "Burner" category was Hardy. It just seems a little odd to me that there would not be more of an emphasis on speed of the WRs.

Of course who knows how acurate these stats are, for all we know, he is 6' and 195, or 6'5" and 240. hell he could run a 4.45?????

As far as the promise to Freeman, thats what he said in the Weird Herald Article, check the link, otherwise, I could cut and paste it.

Info on Holt

Los Angeles combine

6' 3.5" 212

40 yard 4.73

shuttle 4.44

vert 31"

3 cone 7.50

Broad jump 8'10"

Richard Jackson of Florida is being pursued by quite a few top programs. His results

Tampa Combine

6' 2" 194

40 yard 4.81

shuttle 4.52

vert 25.5

3 cone 7.37

Broad jump 7' 9"

Richard supposedly has quite a few offers. Weis is really after him hard.

It looks like Holt is a better specimen though.

Mike Williams ran a 4.6 at the NFL combine and was projected as the best player by Mel Kiper. Menelik is almost the same size and his measurments for weight and height are accurate as they are from a Nike camp, not what his high school said. The forty time can be deceptive though. He could have had an off day, or a very good day and we would not know. I have seen him on tape though, and he was definately faster than anybody else on the field, and playing in California, that says something.

I have been very concerned about our talent level since starting to follow recruting on Rivals in 1996. No matter the ability of this staff on the field, they have brought more ranked talent to this program than any other staff and that includes the legend. If they can coach half as well as they recruit we will be okay. If they can not, the new coach will not have the excuse of a bare cupboard.

I would rather see some top Olinemen and Dlinemen coming in though. But I guess if your main talent is Oline coaching you have the ability to see it a little better than the rest of us. Both BC and Wags are considered two of the best and if they feel comfortable with what we have, who am I to question.

I love being able to follow the Huskers now for 12 months to see what kind of recruits they're gonna land. In the past it was never this exciting. This staff is doing everything right on the recruiting side, hopefully with the talent they'll be able to do it on the field as well. Already getting a top-100 QB prospect and the best player in the state is incredible.

Heard that Cal was close to offering Holt when he committed.

I have been very concerned about our talent level since starting to follow recruting on Rivals in 1996.  No matter the ability of this staff on the field, they have brought more ranked talent to this program than any other staff and that includes the legend.  If they can coach half as well as they recruit we will be okay.  If they can not, the new coach will not have the excuse of a bare cupboard.

I would rather see some top Olinemen and Dlinemen coming in though.  But I guess if your main talent is Oline coaching you have the ability to see it a little better than the rest of us.  Both BC and Wags are considered two of the best and if they feel comfortable with what we have, who am I to question.

I agree with most of what you said, except that I can only remember TO bringing in one class that was considered to be a Top 5 class (in the 90's) and I think that it was the class that Ahman Green and Frankie London were in. That class had alot of top rated players, but If I remember correctly, alot of them didnt pan out or contribute much.

Also, I agree that NU is in dire need of top talent on the lines. However, I felt a better when Charlie, Milt, and Dan were coaching the lines (even though that is water under the bridge).

unfortunately i agree with you on the aspect that yes some of these highly praised recruits might not pan out as advertised. thats the risk you take. its like if you ran a company and hired someone with a great resume' and they turn around and embezzle money from you. so what do you do? get somebody else with a good resume to take his place and take the risk again and hope he doesnt rob you.

yes it is water under the bridge so quit tryin to hold on to those days, they are long and gone, think about the future instead of grovelling over the past.

in regards to your fanaticism over Doc osborne, solich, and their respective staffs and your overall negativity towards the future outlook of our football program, cheer up and move on please. From the looks of things as they are now the new staff, which may i remind that you so blatantly disregard and deem incompetent, are looking to receive top recruiting honors many times during their tenure here at Nebraska.

yes it is water under the bridge so quit tryin to hold on to those days, they are long and gone, think about the future instead of grovelling over the past.

in regards to your fanaticism over Doc osborne, solich, and their respective staffs and your overall negativity towards the future outlook of our football program, cheer up and move on please. From the looks of things as they are now the new staff, which may i remind that you so blatantly disregard and deem incompetent, are looking to receive top recruiting honors many times during their tenure here at Nebraska.

I don't think FF is groveling over the past, just pointing out that those coaches had proven themselves on the field and there was more comfort w/talent coming in under them than with the current staff. I agree w/FF, this staff needs to prove their worth on the field like they have with recruiting. I give the staff more credit though with what they had to work with last year, considering the lack of talent and what seemed to be less than 100% effort from many on the team. The coaches seem to be great evaluators of talent based on the 5 JUCO's that came in and made an immediate impact; hopefully the freshmen and other JUCO's will pan out as well.