A CB with 17 offers who wants to see Nebraska

JUNE 3, 2009. PREP STAR

JONATHAN MINCY, CB, 5-10, 175, 4.4, DECATUR (SOUTHWEST DEKALB), GEORGIA

“Right now I have 17 offers,” says Mincy, “I won’t say I have favorites but I’m interested in LSU, Michigan, Wake Forest, Illinois and Ohio State. Those are the schools that I want to see the most.”

Likes LSU’S Style Of Play

“LSU is known for its fine athletes and I want to be a part of that and I know they put a lot of DB’s in the league and that means a lot to me. I like LSU’s style of play they are known for their physical play and they are known for their speed. I really feel good inside that program.” Mincy said

Check Out Big 10 Schools

“The reason why I want to know more about Michigan and Ohio State, I know they are the north schools, because I don’t know much about them and want to see for myself. Ohio State hasn’t offered yet but I’m sure it will come soon once I go to camp and they see me.”

“I like Michigan’s tradition,” says Mincy, “They are ranked number one in the nation in communications and that’s the type of degree I’m going for. So they are a better fit for me when it comes to my education. Also, Michigan is known for their DB’s”

“I went to Ohio State camp last year and their facilities were the best of all the colleges I’ve been to so far. It really stood out for me. Ohio State is known for their football program. I want to be a part of somewhere with a good football program. ” Mincy said

“They (Illinois) are one of the newest offers,” Miny said, “Illinois is known for having a lot of DB’s in the NFL. I just want to know more about the program.”

“Wake Forest just had one of the top DB’s signed this year. That really made a lot to me. Growing up I knew Wake Forest was a basketball program, but they (football program) do send a lot of DB’s in the NFL”

Two Visits To Auburn

“I have a lot of interest in Auburn I’ve been there twice, says Mincy, “The Auburn visits were intense. The first time I went it was with my coach when they offered me. Auburn coaches could see me in person, the second time I went down there I went with my mom and uncle those are the two people that will take trips with me. So I brought them down there to get a feel for the environment, feel for the coaches and get the last word in.”

Home State Schools

“Georgia Tech is 15 minutes away and Georgia is 45 minutes away. So, growing up I went to a lot of Georgia and Georgia Tech games and recently I went to both of their practices. I’m always going to be a fan of them because they are my home schools. I’m trying to learn more about them.” Mincy said

“I went to Tennessee’s spring game,” says Mincy, “It was the biggest fan size ever for a spring game that I went to. Just seeing all that orange really stood out.” Mincy said

“I like the coaches at Tennessee they are really into the program. They give so much energy when they are coaching. Tennessee coaches care about their players it’s like family.” Mincy added

Sooners To Get A Visit

“Oklahoma offered me also,” Mincy said, “My mom said the other day how we will go there too for a visit. It might be within a couple of weeks. Oklahoma came in the picture about three weeks ago. I was really happy with that.”

Have Interest In Nebraska

“My coach just sent a highlight tape to Nebraska. I should be hearing from them pretty soon. My coach has really taking a lot of pride getting all my highlight tapes sent out to every college. I’m really thankful to have him as a coach.” Mincy said

“I know Nebraska is a good powerhouse team and I know they are of on the most physical teams out there. I watched Nebraska a lot of games and I really liked their style of play. If they would offer I wouldn’t mind checking them out.”

“I would have a favorite when it comes to conference but the Big 12 has improved the last two years. I’m open all around. I’m not worried how far it is I just want to feel comfortable with the environment.” Mincy said

Commit Time

“I’m going to take my official visits during the football season. I want to get everything cleared up thru the clearinghouse so everything is finalized. I don’t know when I will commit. If I feel comfortable with a school during my summer visits then I will commit.”

Mincy said he has already visited Auburn, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Tennessee and Ole Miss this spring and would like to see a bunch more schools this summer.

Video

Not that I wouldn't root for us to land him if he's that good, but I get concerned with "short" CBs. With big time receivers being 6'4 and above, I'd like my CBs to be at least 6'2.

There were some awesome CB's in this years draft, and out of the top 8, only 3 were over 6 feet, and none were taller than 6'1. I just don't think the taller CB's can back pedal, and turn quickly enough to cover these fast recievers that are running straight at full speed. Do the tall recivers have an advantage on jump balls, yes.

Not that I wouldn't root for us to land him if he's that good, but I get concerned with "short" CBs. With big time receivers being 6'4 and above, I'd like my CBs to be at least 6'2.

There were some awesome CB's in this years draft, and out of the top 8, only 3 were over 6 feet, and none were taller than 6'1. I just don't think the taller CB's can back pedal, and turn quickly enough to cover these fast recievers that are running straight at full speed. Do the tall recivers have an advantage on jump balls, yes.

Fair point regarding the draft, although I think that has more to do with the fact that most of the taller guys choose/are coached to be WRs instead of CBs. I don't buy your ascertian that tall guys can't back pedal fast enough to cover. WR is a sexier position, and coaches see the size as a way to exploit the D instead of using it to close a potential disadvantage on O.

Fair point regarding the draft, although I think that has more to do with the fact that most of the taller guys choose/are coached to be WRs instead of CBs. I don't buy your ascertian that tall guys can't back pedal fast enough to cover. WR is a sexier position, and coaches see the size as a way to exploit the D instead of using it to close a potential disadvantage on O.

Sorry, I have to disagree. It's simple physics, the bigger you are the harder it is to change direction on a dime. Receivers know where they're going, corners have to read and react. This doesn't mean there can't be good corners who are tall, but it does mean they will be dam rare and they have to play a little differently than the smaller guys.

• 3 weeks later...