Want to buy one. Which brand do you recommend? Looking at either LG or Samsung.

I just got an LG 50" a few weeks ago...and love it. For less than $1000 too. It's only a 720p, but the thing looks great. I haven't found a flaw yet. Samsungs are pretty popular and look pretty good...but I had my eye on the LG for quite awhile.

Personally I would never buy a plasma seriously but if you do go with a plasma I'd go with this one Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ800U which is a 50" or this one Panasonic's TH-58PZ800U which is a 58". Both of these TV's got the editors choice award from Cnet.com. I've heard that Plasma's are only good while watching movies and thats it. If you plan on watching sports or playing games that LCD is the route to go.

If you have the money I'd go with the new LED Samsung UN55B6000 but thats about $3,500

I'd go with the Samsung 52" LN52A650 but it seems that I can't find that TV at all anywhere. I don't know if Best Buy sells them anymore because I can't find it on their website but that TV got Cnets editors choice award last fall and my buddy has it and I wished I would've went with that TV instead of my Sony.

Personally I would never buy a plasma seriously but if you do go with a plasma I'd go with this one Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ800U which is a 50" or this one Panasonic's TH-58PZ800U which is a 58". Both of these TV's got the editors choice award from Cnet.com. I've heard that Plasma's are only good while watching movies and thats it. If you plan on watching sports or playing games that LCD is the route to go.

If you have the money I'd go with the new LED Samsung UN55B6000 but thats about $3,500

I'd go with the Samsung 52" LN52A650 but it seems that I can't find that TV at all anywhere. I don't know if Best Buy sells them anymore because I can't find it on their website but that TV got Cnets editors choice award last fall and my buddy has it and I wished I would've went with that TV instead of my Sony.

Plasma is the superior choice for any viewing actually. LCDs, especially the cheap ones, tend to suffer from motion blur due to low response rates. Plasma is immune to it. I have a 720p plasma, and it looks better than my friend's 1080p LCD on everything. The only real thing that LCD has over plasma is that they are lighter weight, and often an inch thinner. But as far as picture goes, plasma has it all over LCD.

It depends on how big and where you are going to put it.

If you have to worry about reflective light, I would go with the LCD. in basements and elsewhere where there won't be other lights shining on it, go with the plasma. Obviously, the bigger the screen, the more important the need for 1080p. With smaller screens, you won't notice as much of a difference between 720 and 1080.

It depends on how big and where you are going to put it.

If you have to worry about reflective light, I would go with the LCD. in basements and elsewhere where there won't be other lights shining on it, go with the plasma. Obviously, the bigger the screen, the more important the need for 1080p. With smaller screens, you won't notice as much of a difference between 720 and 1080.

mostly right, there is viewing distance also. On a 50 inch screen, if you sit farther than 7 feet away the human eye can not tell the difference between 720 and 1080

Don't get a plasma if you plan on playing video games on it. They are the worst when it comes to leaving burns and ghost marks on your screen.

Incorrect. "burn in" was an issue on early plasma TVs, but its not an issue with good brand plasmas. I have a plasma, and game daily on it. No damage. The most there is will be a slight ghost on a solid color for til some other images run through the spot.

I have seen every piece of misinformation about plasma TVs in this thread now. The LCD companies certainly did the propaganda well.

Don't get a plasma if you plan on playing video games on it. They are the worst when it comes to leaving burns and ghost marks on your screen.

Incorrect. "burn in" was an issue on early plasma TVs, but its not an issue with good brand plasmas. I have a plasma, and game daily on it. No damage. The most there is will be a slight ghost on a solid color for til some other images run through the spot.

I have seen every piece of misinformation about plasma TVs in this thread now. The LCD companies certainly did the propaganda well.

I've seen it even in pricier sets, but then again I don't have the same motion blur problems that I've seen on other, more expensive LCDs than mine.

Strigoni is right about the small difference between 720 and 1080. If your not connected to an HD source like a blueray, PS3 or an HDDVR then your not really getting a 1080 anyway. But a 720 should still look pretty amazing in all but the cheapest models.