Running up the Score

Oooh.. you kind of bring up a good point in a way. Let's say we had 2 routs to start the season. Do you continue to play Zac Lee till the very end because he needs more game reps before the road game? Or, do you start getting the backup QB(s) some reps at that point? Personally, I think I'd want to keep Lee in for all 60 minutes, at least in those first two games, no matter what the score was nor how it looked because he needs as much game experience as he can get before going on the road.

Could be they won't have a choice because I think the teams coming in are better than they are getting credit for, but still should be fairly easy (on paper ... same place that Ball State looked like a gimme game).

Wow, and I thought 34:01 min TOP last year was amazing! j/k

:laughpound we'd never lose! I had better tell Bo and Watson this brilliant plan of mine. :laughpound

Guys,

Running up the score means you have the ability. If we do fine, but not against the Sun Belt conference teams. We beat Missouri 35-0 fine.

But this team has not beaten a top 15 program on the road for over 11 years. And only OU at home in 2001. It seems we should be more concerned about beating someone that plays the game, by a single point, than concerning ourseleves with will we run up the score.

Thinking we have the ability to do it is my concern. Lets show it on the field, rather than talk about it. People are expecting a lot from this team and Coach Pelini. A tremendous amouth with the experience we have on board. Most likely too much.

Lets play the games and see what we have before we start dreaming pie in the sky is all I am saying.

The past staff hurt this program, but the year before most on here were singing the praises of BC and staff for the division crown. Anything can happen in college football. Hope for the best, but never demand or expect it. That is what got us into trouble in the first place. It takes a lot of work to be the best, and to get back to that is a major job that I feel will take a at least two more years. But I think it is going to happen, and that is something I had questions about with the past two coaches. Bo has the drive, the determination and it appears the staff to do it. He has guidance from some one that has done. We just have patience is all I am saying.

60-3 is the best in recent college football. 3 crystal trophies in 4 years, should have been 4 in 5 and possibly 5 in 5 except for a fumbling day. USC did not get close. Florida may get close to the NC count but in wins is a ways off. That is what most Huskers think about. I honestly do not see anyone repeating what TO did in that span. The rest of his career is comparative to the others. We played in a very weak conference with one major game a year, Oklahoma, normally lost our bowl games against tough competition. It took Tom learning about speed from Florida State to get the corner turned.

I have been around this program for nearly 50 years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of it.

Well I want you to know that I really meant no offense to you in my earlier posts. All I wanted to point out to you and everyone here is that it took Tom a while to get to that point where we went 60-3. I will also have you know that I am new on here and I was not one of those singing BC's praises when we won the north. When I heard about what they were doing to former players I said this is not the Nebraska program and I stopped watching them. That doesn't mean I am a fair weather fan...that just means it made me sick what these guys were doing to the program I loved and I honestly couldn't stand to watch it happen.

Anyways I did a little checking and USC, since 2002, has gone 82-9. I checked up on our record and from 1991-1997, our best 7 year stretch compared to USC's 7 year stretch, we went 78-8-1. I am NOT a USC fan, but if thats not a powerhouse then I don't know what is. They also won the NC in 2003 and 2004, but if everyone remembers 2003 was all controversy...big shocker there the BCS and controversy in the same sentence. So I am still against you on saying no one will ever do what we did. If USC won one more title in that seven year span then I think it would be safe to say that they did exactly what we did in the 90's if not better than we did, because they played 4 more games than us in the respective time frame.

Like I said we won't run the score up on anyone and I want everyone to not be disappointed by a 3 maybe 4 loss season either. I just have enough faith in Bo that he will win the majority of his games and then 5, 10, maybe 20 years down the road he will finally be able to go 60-3. But one thing is certain...he will get our boys ready to compete every game and teams will remember how much it sucks to play Nebraska again.

Guys,

Running up the score means you have the ability. If we do fine, but not against the Sun Belt conference teams. We beat Missouri 35-0 fine.

But this team has not beaten a top 15 program on the road for over 11 years. And only OU at home in 2001. It seems we should be more concerned about beating someone that plays the game, by a single point, than concerning ourseleves with will we run up the score.

Thinking we have the ability to do it is my concern. Lets show it on the field, rather than talk about it. People are expecting a lot from this team and Coach Pelini. A tremendous amouth with the experience we have on board. Most likely too much.

Lets play the games and see what we have before we start dreaming pie in the sky is all I am saying.

The past staff hurt this program, but the year before most on here were singing the praises of BC and staff for the division crown. Anything can happen in college football. Hope for the best, but never demand or expect it. That is what got us into trouble in the first place. It takes a lot of work to be the best, and to get back to that is a major job that I feel will take a at least two more years. But I think it is going to happen, and that is something I had questions about with the past two coaches. Bo has the drive, the determination and it appears the staff to do it. He has guidance from some one that has done. We just have patience is all I am saying.

60-3 is the best in recent college football. 3 crystal trophies in 4 years, should have been 4 in 5 and possibly 5 in 5 except for a fumbling day. USC did not get close. Florida may get close to the NC count but in wins is a ways off. That is what most Huskers think about. I honestly do not see anyone repeating what TO did in that span. The rest of his career is comparative to the others. We played in a very weak conference with one major game a year, Oklahoma, normally lost our bowl games against tough competition. It took Tom learning about speed from Florida State to get the corner turned.

I have been around this program for nearly 50 years, I have seen the good the bad and the ugly of it.

It's just fun speculation. "We" have absolutely zero impact on the outcome on the upcoming season. "We" can do nothing but support our team.

It was a big IF. IF the opportunity arises what would happen. That's the only reason I started this topic. There is a possibility that all of our games will be close. Beating any team by 1 point is a win obviously. I would love to beat VT by one point. But my question was pointed towards teams like Missouri and K-State, teams I expect us to beat this year by a greater-than-1-point-margin.

Sure I'm drinking :koolaid2: but in the end its all just sheer curiosity...shoot me

I think were a year away from beating down everyone but I think Bo has the mindset that as long as we have more points than the opponent it's a win. It would be nice to be able to score a lot of points because one thing that does is give the 2nd, 3rd & 4th string players VALUABLE game expierence. That's why they used to say about Nebraska - NEVER REBUILDING - ALWAYS RE-LOADING

:yeah I like a good thrashing as much as anyone. If we hang fifty or sixty on Misery of the Fluffs, so be it. But, I just don't see Bo doing it even if we do find ourselves in that position this year...or any other for that matter. I think you're right though, one of the biggest advantages to having a comforatable lead in the third or fourth quarter is quality playing time for the back-ups. The other, and probably equally important, thing is being able to rest your starters once in a while. It's huge.

For me though margin of victory is less important than how you achieved the margin. I mean, a 28 or 35 - 0 win in a defensive beat down is a helluva lot more impressive than 70-40 win in a track meet, at least to me anyway.