where would you rank T.O.?

Great list. I don't remember how many college football coaches have avg 10 wins a season, is there only 2?

That alone has to carry a little more weight, than wins that took 40 years to get. JP.& BB won't come close to that avg. How many chances did TO have to win other NC. Counting season ending loses to Okl, and some bowl game loses, close to 5 or 6 more shots at winning it all? Not to many coaches have had that many close calls through their carriers. I have no problem with Wooden first, nobody won like he did. Tough call, I would have to say TO should be in top 10. That 10 win per season has to carry a lot of weight.

GBR!!!

I'd definitely put Osborne over Paterno and Hayes and likely over Bowden, infact I'd put Devaney over Paterno and Hayes and slightly behind Bowden.

Paterno is one of the most winningest coaches because of how long he has coached, but he was hardly consistent or even good all the time. He'd have a few good years but he had some pretty bad ones too and was rarely coaching the best team in the country even when they are at their best.

Putting Osborne behind Hayes is a joke. Hayes was a great coach but he sprinkled several horrible years - years where he lost five games. Besides the way his career ended has to cost him some points here.

I'd probably put him over Bowden as well. Bowden coached longer and has more overall wins but Osborne based on geography, talent and NCAA involvement should probably be considered the better coach.

I dunno where I classify Osborne exactly compared to Wilkinson numbers wise but in any case Wilkinson is way to high. They guy could coach but he couldn't win without breaking every rule in the book to do it.

I wouldn't go as far as putting Osborne over Bryant and Rockne (though you could see a case being made) but I do think they are both way to high. They were great coaches but it was much easier back then to win the games they won then it would be today, besides the game they coached was far less complex. Besides if you base it on records, many of their records are disputable and you also have to take into account that they won several championships even though they lost their bowl games.

Wherever I put Osborne though I'd put Switzer right underneath him and Devaney within spitting range of both.