Huskers ranked third

When are they going to learn to stop ranking us behind Texas? When is the last time Texas finished ranked ahead of the Huskers?

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Volleyball Magazine has ranked the Nebraska Cornhuskers No. 3 in its preseason poll.

The publication listed the Huskers in the preseason top five a year ago heading into the season, and Nebraska finished third in the country.

Nebraska is one of three Big 12 teams ranked in the preseason top 20, joining second-ranked Texas and No. 11 Iowa State.

Good to see CJ's Cyclones ranked in the top 15. :thumbs

I'd say those are appropriate rankings for preseason. Texas lost Paolini to graduation but returns two first team All-Americans (Hooker and Engle) and with a year under her belt Michelle Kocher should be ready for a great season at setter. I think Destinee Hooker is going to have a monster season. I've enjoyed watching her play but I'm glad for the Huskers' sake she is graduating this year. :-)

Plus Texas has a 5-2 player on their team (libero Sydney Yogi), how cool is that? I've met her and 5-2 might even be giving her an extra half inch. LOL.

The Huskers overachieved last season and who can forget the unbelievable match against Penn State? An instant classic, it was heartbreaking to see them let the match slip away but it was still one for the ages. The team will miss Jordan Larson but Tara Mueller should fill the void and probably become a superstar this season, not that she was a slouch last year. We'll be great at setter (as usual) with Sydney Anderson. We've got some promising young outside hitters so it will be fun to watch them develop.

Nebraska is going to be great this season but what is really exciting is to look ahead to 2010 because the team is pretty young. I think only Kori Cooper is a senior this year, I'll have to check the roster. We may have some future superstars at OH, I bet at least one of those killer freshmen contributes significantly this season.

The Nebraska-Texas matches this season should be epic, but like last season the road to a national championship probably goes through Penn State.

Good stuff, Husker Runner. I agree on every count, except my homerism won't accept being ranked behind Texas. Hooker and Engle are going to be TOUGH this year. Hooker is a joy to watch, even if she's on the wrong side of the net.

Losing Larson will be tough, but I agree that Mueller should be ready to step up.

Coop is our only Senior. I hope she's back and ready to go from surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

The Huskers are in reload mode. UT will be tough, but don't be surprised if the ladies get it done.

People forget that we have a secret weapon on our sideline....Coach Cook... It wasn't only execution that pushed PSU to the limit last year, but also a great job of coaching and making the team believe that they could get things done.

We've got the best one out there....