Blake Lawrence and Barry Turner

* LAWRENCE CLEARED: Junior linebacker Blake Lawrence, who missed the last part of spring practices with a concussion, said he’s been cleared to play.

Because the concussion was his third in 12 months, Lawrence underwent several tests and MRIs this summer.

“Nothing’s wrong with the head, nothing wrong with the brain,” Lawrence said. “And my tests are off the charts, as far as my abilities. It’s just a different situation, and every concussion is different.”

Lawrence will now wear a Xenith helmet, which is lined with a thermoplastic material that can better absorb forceful blows.

“I’m just going to play like it never happened,” said Lawrence, who will challenge Mathew May for the starting spot at WILL. “You know how it is. Gotta come back and do it.”

* TURNING THE TABLES: Lawrence did more than give autographs at Saturday’s Fan Day. He received some, too.

Lawrence had children ages 10 and under sign an letter-size card for him. He collected more than 100 signatures.

Why?

“I was telling them, ‘You’re gonna be a future Husker, so now I have your autograph,’” Lawrence said.

*OLD BARRY: Senior defensive end Barry Turner impressed Carl Pelini with his mobility on the first day of practice. Turner, of course, missed almost all of last season after breaking a bone in his leg during the second game.

“It’s the old Barry. He’s back,” Pelini said. “He’s fast as heck off the ball. He’s back. I don’t see any after-affects of that (injury) right now. Just watching one day of practice, he looks like Barry of a year ago but with a better understanding of the defense, which makes him faster.”

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man....our D line is gonna be great this year!

i hope that barry plays with the intensity he did as a freshman, before he loaded up on the weight

with dominant play by the ends and crick or baker, suh wont get double teamed as much

if suh gets doubled teamed barry and co will get to the qb enough that they have to pick their poison

Great news for both of them.

And if that is in fact true about Barry, then I agree... our D-line will be very salty.

I think it is very possible that we may have the best D-line in the nation. If we can stay healthy i think we are going to hear alot about these guys as the season progresses.