Gresham Injured

HuskerTD

BoomerSooner28 - All the premium sites are now reporting he DID get injured, so whoever that tight end you were talking to probably was told to keep his mouth shut about it. Stoops was 45 late to his conference tonight and I bet you its because he had a meeting with the team telling them not to say anything about it. I talked to a player on Facebook, I won't say his name so I don't get in trouble. He said they are never suppose to tell anything or they would get kicked off the team, but he did say he knew nothing about Gresham which could have been a lie since they could of had that meeting. There is a bunch of mixed signals flying, but if I had to guess, Gresham is injured in some way even if it is just a sprain or a bruise.

There may be more truth to this rumor than initially thought. I scoured a couple of local news websites but came up empty. I did however, find this on Yahoo Sports

Yahoo Sports

Jermaine in pain. Once again, Oklahoma State quarterback Zac Robinson is totally suiting up Saturday despite rumors of his demise for the Cowboys' opener against Georgia. But elsewhere in the Sooner State, Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham may not be so lucky: Tales of the All-American tight end's alleged knee injury were flying around OU message boards without much contradiction Wednesday night, and the unofficial prognosis ($) is not good:

I have heard a lot of different things as I have been tracking this down tonight. The most trusted source has said he is out 4-6 weeks and the staff hopes he will be back by the Texas game. ... Every report I have heard says it is something to do with his meniscus. But at the very least, we can confirm that Gresham did suffer a knee injury in practice. The severity is yet to be determined. But the possibility of him playing this weekend against BYU is slim.

The big Oklahoma papers have not weighed in as of this morning. (Tulsa World is also mum.) Take message board "gossip" for what it's worth, but the above bit comes from a well-established admin on OU's Rivals site, i.e. not a random, isolated fan whose "sources" could be anyone; it's not substantially contradicted at any point in a very long thread.

If Gresham's injury unfolds as initially reported, the irony is that his former backup, senior Brody Eldridge, is apparently set to start at center -- coaches moved him inside to compensate for a rash of injuries at the start of camp, and are already comparing Eldridge to Jon Cooper, a four-year starter who was voted the Big 12's best offensive lineman last year by league coaches. Where that leaves OU in its tight end rotation is anybody's guess. (UPDATE: The Tulsa World has a guess on the depth chart, but nothing new on Gresham's status.)

In other Oklahoma tight end news: Brandon Mosley, the Oklahoma State tight end who abruptly left the team for unexplained reasons earlier this week, is free and clear of a protective order filed by another OSU student and is looking into a transfer to Tennessee.

And more:

Tulsa News

Sounds like it may be a temporary thing...4-6 weeks

Norman - We've gotten new information from our sources about the injury to OU tight end Jermaine Gresham.

Our sources tell us Gresham "tweaked" his knee at practice on Tuesday and did not take part in Wednesday's drills. He was in street clothes but not on crutches and seemed to be walking fine. He has had soreness in this knee before.

If he can not play Saturday against BYU the starter would be sophomore James Hanna a reserve last year who was used mostly on special teams. He caught only one pass at tight end (for -1 yards) against Texas A&M.

Behind him it would be sophomore Trent Ratteree.

If Gresham should be out for any length of time, OU would most likely move senior Brody Eldridge back to tight end where he played last season. Eldridge is now listed as OU's starting center.

The rumors on the Internet had Gresham missing a month or more of action. The report first came from SoonerScoop.com and of course now it's all over the Internet.

Gresham is a favorite to win the John Mackey Award, given to the nation's best tight end. He was a finalist for the award last year, which went to Missouri's Chase Coffman.

He is also on the watch list for the Maxwell Award which is given yearly to the nation's most outstanding college football player.

Last year, Gresham led the team with 14 touchdown receptions and was second in catches (66) and yards (950).

Yesterday, we were the first to tell you that the rumors about OSU quarterback Zac Robinson were false. An internet site reported Robinson was doubtful for Saturday's game against Georgia due to an undisclosed injury.

Our source told us those were just "horrible Internet rumors" and that Robinson will play when the Cowboys open the regular season Saturday.

Seems it's official now

Tight end Jermaine Gresham has cartilage damage in his right knee and will miss No. 3 Oklahoma's season opener against BYU on Saturday.

Gresham's injury is continuing to be evaluated, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. Gresham, along with team doctors and athletic training staff, are considering treatment options that could have a bearing on his return.

Trent Ratterree and James Hanna will be listed on the depth chart at tight end. The Sooners play No. 20 BYU in Arlington, Texas (ESPN, 7 p.m. ET).

Gresham tweaked his knee in practice Tuesday, according to reports. After strongly considering entering the NFL draft in April, Gresham -- the 14th-ranked NFL prospect in Scouts Inc.'s top 100 -- returned to school.

The 6-foot-6, 258-pound Gresham had 66 receptions for 950 yards and 14 touchdowns last season. He was a Sporting News First Team All-American last season and an Associated Press and Walter Camp second-team All-American.