Yeah, if you want more mobility, go with something smaller. But, if you don't mind a separate power cord for your external hard drive, I'd recommend the WD: MyBook. I have two of them (one running a complete back up and the other for photo storage).

One feature to look at also is the connection-- USB or Firewire. If you are planning on moving large files or many files... the Firewire will give you the extra speed (but you will probably pay around $50 more than for the same thing with only a USB port).

Yeah, if you want more mobility, go with something smaller. But, if you don't mind a separate power cord for your external hard drive, I'd recommend the WD: MyBook. I have two of them (one running a complete back up and the other for photo storage).

One feature to look at also is the connection-- USB or Firewire. If you are planning on moving large files or many files... the Firewire will give you the extra speed (but you will probably pay around $50 more than for the same thing with only a USB port).

Thanks for the help....I am using this as a back up to my laptop. It's been doing funny things lately and we have all the kids pictures on there.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 1TB Western Digital MyBook thingy, USB hookup, it is more than adequate for my purposes (mostly video.) $109 seemed pretty reasonable for a hard drive almost 10x bigger than what I already had.

I have the same drive, and absolutely love it. I back up all of my My Documents files on it, and I'm currently backing up all of the movies I have. The true space you can use on it is about 931 GB if I remember right, but it's plenty for most people. I got it for $99 dollars myself.

You need to make sure that you have a Firewire connection as well. My old laptop did, but unfortunately my current laptop does not (thank you, Dell!).

Yeah I recall seeing another price drop not long after I bought it, I was mildly depressed for a few minutes. Still, that's a ton of hard drive space.

Once you buy anything these days, you better quit looking at prices (unless it is within a certain period and you can get the difference back)... It is just too depressing... :facepalm: