Who will lead the young guys?

There's been so much discussion of who the playmakers will be this year, especially when it comes to the recruits. It seems to me that a big reason for last season's meltdown, and our lack of improvement as the year went on, was a lack of effective leadership among the players. We only had one senior captain. I see maybe Ross and Bullocks being captains this year, but who else will fill the role of setting the tone each day in practice and then on the field?

We always seem to talk about offense. Last year our fearless leader was supposed to be Ruud. He tried to lead by example, and we all saw how that turned out. IMO, we need a vocal leader not only on offense but on defense as well. From what I've seen of the Bullocks twins, they're not very vocal. We need someone else to get in there and fire up the team.

I don't know much about Taylor, but then again I don't think he'll be the starter all year long. Beck seems to be pretty vocal. Hopefully his youth doesn't distract those playing along side when he begins to bark orders.

Guidance and leadership were the two biggest things missing last year. If we didn't learn anything else from the combines and the draft, we should have at least learned we DID have some talent. We just didn't have much leadership, and the guidance from the coaches at times was very suspect.

We're probably going to lose a game or some games this year, but hopefully everyone has learned something from last year. Our leaders need to step up especially when we're losing. Losing games as badly as we did last year and in 2002 is just unacceptable (17 points or more). If there is one thing I can't stand, it's watching a team give up. We gave up in games in 2002, and we gave up in games in 2004. This is due to inadequate leadership and coaching.

We desperately need vocal leadership out there on the field at all times.

Cosgrove needs to step up and coach aa a leader, everyone needs to play "up" to the coaches expectations, assuming Coz has high expectations.......and no more "just one game, one season" crap from Cally......he needs to understand Husker pride, not excuse poor performance. i hope that we do not hear that talk anymore from the coaches, as it brings the kids/program down IMHO.

hunter

Octavien, Taylor, Ross, Seppo, Bullocks, Herian, Bradley, Carriker ... Just a few to name.

I'd like to see Carriker REALLY step up and take over this team, IMO. :thumbs

Perfect choice on Carriker.....

Cory Ross is a natural leader. He's a solid ball player, makes very few mistakes and is very willing to help the younger guys. Ross is one of those guys who will make a great coach if he chooses that path.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be very surprised if Bullocks is a captain. Ross no question in my mind. He and Ruud were the only players we had last year that truly were Huskers. Leave everything you have on the field. Man I can not wait to see this new group on the field. I think there will be some major improvements and Coz will not look as bad as some thought he did last year.