Some info about Arkansas State

docpoco

Whats up Huskers?

Just going to try and provide a little insight since I know a lot of you are wondering about who Arkansas State is.

First, if you run into a guy on OUR message board named Blackfoot3, just hit the "ignore" button. You'll thank me later. :lol:

But football business...........

We have a lot of experience all over the field, with quite a few NFL prospects and a few that could be taken pretty high up the board. First we have a SR QB (Corey Leonard - Davey Obrien finalist) and SR RB Reggie Arnold (Doak Walker watch list). Our RBs are pretty deep, and we have a ton of talent at WR - thought it has yet to be fully realized. Our linemen are pretty solid, but there isn't much depth. If our RB Reggie Arnold rushes for 1000 yards this season, he will be only the 8th RB in NCAA history to rush for 1000 yards 4 straight years.

On defense, we have a pretty solid LB corp and a hard hitting CB named Daylan Walker. We also lost one of our safeties against MVSU, but the depth there is excellent. The D line is supposed to be very good this year, and most people have heard of Alex Carrington (6'6 -285 DE)... he is our best bet for a high draft pick. Overall the athleticism will surprise a lot of people, thought I still am not sold on our pass defense.

One thing you will see if you look at our past, is that we usually play big teams well. We played Texas in Austin to within 1 score and needed the Big 12 refs to blow an onside call to seal that game. Last year we beat Texas A&M in College Station, and 2 years ago with many of the same primary players on offense we put up 27 on Tennessee at Neyland.

I realize those games don't mean much, and as far as what to expect on Saturday?

I think most of you will be a little surprised, though I don't think that means you won't win.

Our defense should put up a pretty good fight, and I think our running game is going to put some surprising pressure on your defense. Reggie has averaged about 6 YPC for his career. You definately will get our best shot, and I think your starters will play most of the game.

Then again, this is probably the most inconsistent team I have ever followed. We could literally beat a BCS team one week and lose to FIU the next.

I'm hoping for a good game, no injuries, and some respect gained for our school from the state of NE.

Welcome to the board and thanks for the info. :)

I think the most interesting aspect for me will be seeing what defensive scheme we run against your team. We're hoping that our secondary is improved from last season, we've got some new LB's, and of course the D-line anchored by Suh.

As I'm guessing you've already read here, we ran a really vanilla defense against FAU who committed to a heavy protection scheme. They were able to move the ball well at times on, especially on some miscues by our defense, but weren't able to finish. Some big runs up the middle were a little troubling and I have to say I hope we're improved there before you come to town.

Welcome to the board.

Stick around and talk some football with us.

I'm excited for this game. I moved to Nebraska from Arkansas so I have some love for Arkansas teams. I will admit I don't know much about your team, but most of the time, when non bcs teams come into a bcs team's stadium, the depth becomes an issue.

I think you guys will hang with us for a half, but then we'll pull away. The defense and the offense were working out the first game kinks and I think we'll be a lot more polished this game.

I hope to have Cody Green and company in by the end of the third quarter.

Should be a great game though!

Whats up Huskers?

Just going to try and provide a little insight since I know a lot of you are wondering about who Arkansas State is.

First, if you run into a guy on OUR message board named Blackfoot3, just hit the "ignore" button. You'll thank me later. :lol:

But football business...........

We have a lot of experience all over the field, with quite a few NFL prospects and a few that could be taken pretty high up the board. First we have a SR QB (Corey Leonard - Davey Obrien finalist) and SR RB Reggie Arnold (Doak Walker watch list). Our RBs are pretty deep, and we have a ton of talent at WR - thought it has yet to be fully realized. Our linemen are pretty solid, but there isn't much depth. If our RB Reggie Arnold rushes for 1000 yards this season, he will be only the 8th RB in NCAA history to rush for 1000 yards 4 straight years.

On defense, we have a pretty solid LB corp and a hard hitting CB named Daylan Walker. We also lost one of our safeties against MVSU, but the depth there is excellent. The D line is supposed to be very good this year, and most people have heard of Alex Carrington (6'6 -285 DE)... he is our best bet for a high draft pick. Overall the athleticism will surprise a lot of people, thought I still am not sold on our pass defense.

One thing you will see if you look at our past, is that we usually play big teams well. We played Texas in Austin to within 1 score and needed the Big 12 refs to blow an onside call to seal that game. Last year we beat Texas A&M in College Station, and 2 years ago with many of the same primary players on offense we put up 27 on Tennessee at Neyland.

I realize those games don't mean much, and as far as what to expect on Saturday?

I think most of you will be a little surprised, though I don't think that means you won't win.

Our defense should put up a pretty good fight, and I think our running game is going to put some surprising pressure on your defense. Reggie has averaged about 6 YPC for his career. You definately will get our best shot, and I think your starters will play most of the game.

Then again, this is probably the most inconsistent team I have ever followed. We could literally beat a BCS team one week and lose to FIU the next.

I'm hoping for a good game, no injuries, and some respect gained for our school from the state of NE.

Hey! Welcome to Huskerboard. Glad to see you over here. :cheers