Serving Errors Cost NU against TA&M

Hoping to take a big step and steal a win on the road, the Nebraska volleyball team instead stepped right into a loaded trap on Wednesday.

The sixth-ranked Huskers self-destructed, committing 11 service errors and allowing huge serving runs in a 28-26, 17-25, 25-19, 25-19 loss to unranked Texas A&M in College Station, Texas.

It was the Aggies’ first win over a John Cook-led Nebraska team, ending a 19-match losing streak to the suddenly vulnerable Huskers.

“We have to learn that you can’t give away free points,” said Cook, whose team had nine more kills than the Aggies, had more blocks and hit for a higher percentage.

But what the Huskers couldn’t overcome were all the serving miscues, the six aces from A&M and starts to sets three and four that were as dreadful as the finish to the opener.

Nebraska squandered four set-point opportunities in the first set when NU gave away five points with serving errors.

“That set, the whole match, it all came down to serving and passing,” junior Tara Mueller said. “A&M is a tough place to play, and that had an effect on us.”

A Reed Arena crowd of 1,867 celebrated the Aggies’ win, but Cook said Nebraska likely would have swept the Aggies had the Huskers been able to hold on to set one. NU dominated set two, building a 10-1 cushion, but the Big Red highlights ended there.

Texas A&M got away for a 7-4 lead in the third set and led 7-1 and eventually 15-6 in the finale. If Nebraska’s serving was bad, its passing was worse, Cook said. The Aggies successfully targeted NU freshmen Gina Mancuso and Hannah Werth down the stretch.

“We’re only as good as they are passing,” Cook said.

Senior outside hitters Sarah Ammerman and Mary Batis combined for 32 kills to lead the Aggies (9-1, 2-0).

Mueller had 21 kills and Lindsey Licht added 14 on .423 hitting for Nebraska (9-3, 2-1). The Huskers must beat No. 2 Texas on Saturday to avoid the worst 13-match start for a Nebraska team in 31 years.

“We’re going to learn from this match and get better,” Mueller said.

link

This years team is not NU-like as they are not a good team. They need to toughen up real fast or settle for a poor season. It's all up to them as to whether or not that they win out.

You say they are not a good team and then you reference the fact that they could win out in the same small post. Bipolar much? If they weren't good then it wouldn't be up to them if they were to win out or not. But of course, you won't agree because everything you say has to be taken as the word of God.. so i'm sure it makes perfect sense.

This team is more talented then some of the teams we've seen here in the recent past.. it's missing that leadership aspect. But as for being good, they are very good and can play with anyone in the nation.

This years team is not NU-like as they are not a good team. They need to toughen up real fast or settle for a poor season. It's all up to them as to whether or not that they win out.

You say they are not a good team and then you reference the fact that they could win out in the same small post. Bipolar much? If they weren't good then it wouldn't be up to them if they were to win out or not. But of course, you won't agree because everything you say has to be taken as the word of God.. so i'm sure it makes perfect sense.

This team is more talented then some of the teams we've seen here in the recent past.. it's missing that leadership aspect. But as for being good, they are very good and can play with anyone in the nation.

No just brilliant. They need to suck it up and play like NU. Word of God? Never. Just the way it is? Always!

To say they can play with any team in the nation is laughable. Just ask Michigan, UCLA, and Texas A&M. I'm sure there will be more in the very near future who will continue to prove me right.

No just brilliant. They need to suck it up and play like NU. Word of God? Never. Just the way it is? Always!

To say they can play with any team in the nation is laughable. Just ask Michigan, UCLA, and Texas A&M. I'm sure there will be more in the very near future who will continue to prove me right.

So you think that this team when clicking can't beat anyone? Um. Okay. Michigan was a pretty damn obvious lack of communication and not meshing. They're a young team that hasn't been together that long. Do you think this same team next year will be something special? If not, you're smoking something. If you do, then you agree that this team can play with anyone.

So you think that this team when clicking can't beat anyone? Um. Okay. Michigan was a pretty damn obvious lack of communication and not meshing. They're a young team that hasn't been together that long. Do you think this same team next year will be something special? If not, you're smoking something. If you do, then you agree that this team can play with anyone.

Next year is next year. But this year they cannot play with everyone.

Next year is next year. But this year they cannot play with anyone.

Not yet, at least. I find it hard to believe that a team with as much talent as they have, won't eventually turn it up. If Mueller doesn't become the leader - like I expected - watch Kayla Banwarth become the team leader.

They did beat Minnesota this year and two of the three losses were to ranked teams. The Texas A&M loss is kind of weird but these things happen, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aggies ranked at some point this season. I think the Huskers will be playing better by the end of the season.

Texas is pretty damn good so the match Saturday is going to be tough.

I think I posted before the season in another thread that while I thought this would be a good season, next year looks better because the freshmen (who I think are going to be very good) will have a season of experience and the team only loses Kori Cooper. I think this is more of a rebuilding season and the team needs to find its identity.

I'm done dealing with your posts. Denying that there is talent on the team is ridiculous. You can't say they can't play with anyone this year when they played with UCLA and beat Minnesota. They haven't even gotten into the thick of conference play yet. It's ludicrous how you can write them off as nothing with this young and talented of a team

Next year is next year. But this year they cannot play with everyone.

I'm done dealing with your posts. Denying that there is talent on the team is ridiculous. You can't say they can't play with anyone this year when they played with UCLA and beat Minnesota. They haven't even gotten into the thick of conference play yet. It's ludicrous how you can write them off as nothing with this young and talented of a team

Three loses at this juncture is not a sign of talent. We will see just how talented they are this year. If they win as an NU Volleyball team should, then I will tip my hat to you and admit I was wrong. However if they don't - then you tip your hat to me and admit you are wrong.

Not yet, at least. I find it hard to believe that a team with as much talent as they have, won't eventually turn it up. If Mueller doesn't become the leader - like I expected - watch Kayla Banwarth become the team leader.

Leaders should have been established months ago.

They did beat Minnesota this year and two of the three losses were to ranked teams. The Texas A&M loss is kind of weird but these things happen, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aggies ranked at some point this season. I think the Huskers will be playing better by the end of the season.

Texas is pretty damn good so the match Saturday is going to be tough.

I think I posted before the season in another thread that while I thought this would be a good season, next year looks better because the freshmen (who I think are going to be very good) will have a season of experience and the team only loses Kori Cooper. I think this is more of a rebuilding season and the team needs to find its identity.

Your post is spot on. Give these girls time. Nebraska's worst teams are still top ten worthy, most years.

GBR!!!