Bob Devaney

http://www.huskerpedia.com/devaney.html

Seeing all these comparisons between Bo and Bob..

Does anyone know what Bob coached before he was a head coach or if he played Offense or Defense?

All I see is he played "End" (mebbie both ways?)

And maybe back in the leather helmet days, they didn't have "Coordinators", but does anyone know if he ever specialized..ie Linebacker coach? and what did Bob concentrate on while he was in Lincoln?..Seemed like T.O. spent over half his time with the QBs..And I'm guessing Bo spends most of his time looking over his older brother's shoulder while he works with the Defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Devaney

"Robert S. "Bob" Devaney (April 13, 1915–May 9, 1997) was a college football head coach, most notably for the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

He graduated from Alma College, where he played end on the football team, in 1939. Devaney coached high school football at Big Beaver, Keego Harbor, Saginaw, and Alpena, Michigan before joining Michigan State University as an assistant coach under Biggie Munn, then Duffy Daugherty.

Devaney's first college head coaching job was at Wyoming, where he went 35–10–5 (.750) in five seasons (1957–61). He joined Nebraska in 1962 and established the Cornhuskers as a force in Big Eight Conference football. Prior to Devaney's arrival, Nebraska had been on figuratively hard times in football. After a stellar winning tradition up to the early 1940s, Nebraska had just had only two winning records in the past 20 seasons going into Devaney's first season[1].

He engineered an immediate turnaround, with a 9–2 record in 1962 that included a Gotham Bowl victory--the first of what would eventually be 41 straight winning seasons and bowl appearances. He followed this up with an even better 10–1 season the next year, that included wins over rivals Missouri and Oklahoma, and an Orange Bowl victory over Auburn. His seemingly magic touch continued through 1966, with further records of 9–2, 10–1, and 9–2. At this point his Nebraska won-lost record was a combined 47–8 (.854). This had so revived Nebraska football fortunes that Memorial Stadium was enlarged significantly, by enclosing both ends. For the first time, Nebraska was on television once or twice a year, and fans all over the state sat down to watch the Bob Devaney TV show each week, in which he used his folksy manner review the tape of the game for all of the fans who hadn't seen it in person."

Does anyone know what Bob coached before he was a head coach or if he played Offense or Defense?

And maybe back in the leather helmet days, they didn't have "Coordinators", but does anyone know if he ever specialized..ie Linebacker coach? and what did Bob concentrate on while he was in Lincoln?..Seemed like T.O. spent over half his time with the QBs..And I'm guessing Bo spends most of his time looking over his older brother's shoulder while he works with the Defense.

The great and legendary Bob Devaney, who basically started the husker football program on the road to success, had a few high school coaching jobs in Michigan before becoming an assistant at Michigan State. After a few years he was named head coach at Wyoming where he had a record of 35-10-5. Very respectable indeed! After arriving at Nebraska he surrounded himself with an excellent coaching staff who were very instumental in the Huskers success. They had a lot to do with it although Bob had a hand in just about everything, of that I am positive... :restore

Bob Devaney coached tight ends and outside linebackers at Michigan State. He was an assistant on Duffy Daugherty's staff for ten years and coached alongside future head coaches Dan Devine and Bill Yeomans (whose Houston Cougars defeated Tom Osborne and the Huskers in the 1980 Cotton Bowl).

Devaney was Chuck Fairbanks' position coach in the early 1950's as well...the same Chuck Fairbanks he would coach against in the Game of the Century in 1971. Luckily, the teacher outsmarted the pupil that afternoon.

Bob Devaney coached tight ends and outside linebackers at Michigan State. He was an assistant on Duffy Daugherty's staff for ten years and coached alongside future head coaches Dan Devine and Bill Yeomans (whose Houston Cougars defeated Tom Osborne and the Huskers in the 1980 Cotton Bowl).

Devaney was Chuck Fairbanks' position coach in the early 1950's as well...the same Chuck Fairbanks he would coach against in the Game of the Century in 1971. Luckily, the teacher outsmarted the pupil that afternoon.

Thanks, Tommy..I'd already read most of the other info submitted before your post when I googled Bob..

Where did you get your info?

And don't you mean, "Luckily, the pupil outsmarted the teacher that afternoon"?

I had no idea he coached with Chuck Fairbanks.

Double post..

Are you sure Bob coached for Chuck and not the other way around?

Chuck Fairbanks played for Michigan State. Chuck's position coach at Michigan State was Bob Devaney (like Suh's position coach is Carl Pelini).

homer_simpson_doh-12666.jpg

Sorry...

That makes more better sense..

il_430xN.66312050.jpg