Recruiting buzz: Class may be small in size, big in talent

Recruiting buzz: Class may be small in size, big in talent

Tuesday, Oct 13, 2009

LJS

Recruiting star ratings are not for everybody. Bo Pelini has certainly made it known they don't matter to him.

But, for a moment, let's look to the stars and Nebraska's place in the national recruiting rankings. The Huskers are currently ranked 39th in the country by Scout.com and 41st by Rivals.com.

Sounds bad?

It's better than it seems. Since Nebraska's exiting senior class from this team is small, so probably is the size of this recruiting class — maybe 15 to 20 recruits.

A big reason the Huskers are rated so low nationally is because they have only nine commits. That's fewer commits than 66 teams in college football have but about how many you'd expect NU to hold at this point given the expected class size.

Last year when Nebraska ended up with a class of 21, the Huskers had 10 commits at this time — and one of those 10 didn't qualify. So the Huskers are at least on an even pace with where they were a year ago.

Nebraska doesn't have the quantity in this class, but it might have the quality. Scout's average star rating for Nebraska's nine commits is 3.44, which rates 14th-best in the country. Rival's average star rating is 3.22 stars, tied for 19th nationally.

Just something to keep in mind whenever you hear talk about Nebraska's recruiting rank in the next few months.

Ready to sell: Tyler Moore has already proven talented at driving defensive linemen into the ground. Now how is his sales pitch?

The four-star offensive lineman, who on Friday became the second Husker commitment to the 2011 class, said he wants to help recruit some of his peers.

Among the names he mentioned trying to reach were highly touted offensive lineman Christian Westerman and I-back Aaron Green, brother of Husker defensive back Andrew Green.

"Might as well talk to them and try to push them the right way," Moore said.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pound native of Clearwater, Fla., knows the Husker program well. His father, Brian Moore, was a tight end for the Huskers in the mid-'80s. His cousin is Jay Moore. His uncle is Vince Ferragamo.

"(My dad) left it open, but in the back of his head he was hoping I went to Nebraska," Moore said.

What sealed the deal on Moore's decision?

"My main reason was this last Thursday game against Missouri, watching them make a great comeback and showing that they're ready to get back to the top where they were."

Winning cures all...

straight from the horses mouth.

If we continue to play well this year, and finish strong we could have some fantastic recruiting momentum going into the spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see next years class fill up early. Once spots start disappearing kids are going to jump on board.

One great thing about locking them in early is the fact that you can focus your recruiting efforts on your COMMITS.... anyways, better stop before I get ahead of myself.

Heres to a great recruiting finish this year to go along with a BCS bowl berth.