Zac's throwing ability

A few people have said that, from what little we've seen so far, if there's one thing about ZT's game they'd like to see improved, it's his arm strength. Since he seems to be compared most often to Josh Heupel(sp?), how do the two compare in that department?

He looked very good in the spring game, and there is good things coming out of NU, but we really wont know what he needs to improve or what his capabilities are untill we see him in game situations against decent competition. He doesnt need the massive arm strength to run the WCO effeciently, since its based more on accuracy. We shall see when the season kicks off.

He has adequate arm strength to be a good college quarterback. I can rattle of a list of tons of quarterbacks with not so great arm strength who has been succesful in college, and even in the NFL. Peyton Manning comes to mind. Doesnt exactly have a cannon for an arm, and either does Tom Brady for that matter, nor did Heupel, as you said, or Wuerfal, or White, or alot of other guys who were heisman hopefuls at some point.

Arm strength is secondary. All that we need at this point is a QB that can actually check off his receivers, and put the ball where it is needs to be. If we can accomplish that our offense will improve by leaps and bounds. Add in a little Lucky and Ross and we should be able to score on any defense in the Big 12.

I'm just gonna parrot the guys before me.

1) A freakish arm is not neccessary for the WCO. If he can read a defense and can put the ball where he wants it he'll be set.

2) The coaches know what his weaknesses are and what they need to work on, but we'll know nothing until we see him. I'm really glad we have that first game against Maine so he won't have a huge amount of pressure on him the first game and can come out and show us what he can really do.

On the radio the other day Mike Leach said when looking for a QB he looks for two things, accuracy and decision making. He said footwork and arm strentgh can be taught. I don't know what my point is I just found this interesting. As long as Taylor can throw the ball at least 50 yards we'll be fine.

Interesting, I thought that through proper coaching and dedication, decision making can be improved, and to a lesser extent, accuracy (ala Tommie Frazier).

I thought that arm strength is the one area that the coaches have the least control over, except for a few exercises, its tough to gain much in arm "strength", unless you make some changes in throwing motion.

Hmmm, interesting topic ;)

I think it sort of depends on how raw the guy is. If he has not really worked with weights and drills in order to improve arm strength in high school, I think it is possible to gain considerable arm strength in college. Decision making can only be worked on to a certain extent. If the guy doesnt have the mental fortitude to sit in the pocket, take the hit, and deliver the right throw, than he never will have it. Some of the other things can be taught and improved upon.

As far as arm strength and Zac, I've read a few places in the past that both Wuerffel and Heupel both had stronger arms in college than Zac. Kennedy is doing quite a bit to help Taylor get a little more on the ball. Accuracy is the most important ingredient in this offense, but he needs to have some zip on the ball when he throws out patterns. If he lets passes flutter over to the sideline they'll turn into easy picks and probably scores for the defense.