Self Scouting?

huskers1

Another thing I was thinking about is the comment that Wats made during the off season about how they constantly self scout themselves. If they do do that then why do they still run that play from the shotgun where the back sprints toward the sideline obviously only as a decoy while all three of the other receivers run 5 yard stop routes. Everyone knows exactly whats coming on that play. Against Iowa State I literally watched the corner on the side helu motioned to just stand in the flat not even in an athletic position. At the very least, if we are going to run that play why don't we send Gilleylan, Bell, Mendoza, or even Paul deep? Just another head scratcher from Wats this year that I wanted to get opinions on.

These are good questions and the kinds of questions for which the Watson apologists have no answers (at least, not yet).

I like Wats. I'm glad we have him. I think he has a lot of potential. But I also think he has a lot of flaws, and that he is a very stubborn play-caller.

One thing in Watson's defense - look at all the audibles called by Ganzy last year and Lee this year. We'll never know the success rate of half of Watson's calls because, the way it looks, Wats' calls are audibled away from (guessing) 40%-50% of the time.

These are good questions and the kinds of questions for which the Watson apologists have no answers (at least, not yet).

I like Wats. I'm glad we have him. I think he has a lot of potential. But I also think he has a lot of flaws, and that he is a very stubborn play-caller.

One thing in Watson's defense - look at all the audibles called by Ganzy last year and Lee this year. We'll never know the success rate of half of Watson's calls because, the way it looks, Wats' calls are audibled away from (guessing) 40%-50% of the time.

:yeah

I think Lee panics sometimes, and I think teams have picked up on how to make him audible out of a play then change the defense before the snap. I think they need to figure out a way for him to get a real read, but that will be hard as long as he is biting.