the screen passes suck

the bubble screen sucks

our play calling is predictable

our players are not tough

we need smashmouth

we need option

why don't we run more

why don't we use the tight ends more

I'm sure there are more, but these are the problems most Watson haters are having (it seems).

My take:

Watson is not the problem, he has become the scapegoat. Let me first say that I am not a big fan of this system and I wish we never would have stopped the option--but this is what we have.

I was watching football all day today--and you know what I saw? screens, bubbles, runs out of the shotgun and draws. The same stuff Watson calls. It was working OK for most of those schools.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we are getting "predictalble passes and runs" is because our offensive players are not capable of doing more.

Watson spends 80 hours a week doing nothing but offense for a division I program. Don't you think the idea of "throwing downfield" has crossed his mind. There is probably a reason he doesn't do it. That reason is probably because our receivers couldn't catch a cold and our QB's are young and inexperienced. They can't manage to hook up on most 5 yard passes--it is pretty hard to have "unpredictable plays" when your people can't execute a play right in front of them. Well then "just run up the middle". I think that idea has probably also popped into watson's brain at some point. If it was that simple don't you think he would do it? The reason we don't is probably because our O-line can't knock anyone off the line and most of our RB's are hurt or are Freshmen.

Let's put it this way Watson hater-- You are now hired to be OC, what plays are YOU going to call? Remember, most passes will not be caught and most runs will be stuffed behind the line. Good luck. Seriously, think about this. It is 3rd and 6, what are you going to call?

This offense was never going to be good. The reason we put up numbers early on in the season is because we were hiding our deficiencies. Now ever team (and any fan who has watched more than a couple games) knows them. We simply don't have the players--yet. I see glimmers of hope out there--but most of them are young kids just getting experience. Give them a chance to grow.

Watson may not be the right guy for this job, and this offense is probably not the right offense for Nebraska, but a lot of the anger and bitching at Watson is misguided. You are a fan, you have a right to your opinion, but you don't have a right to be a jack-ass.

I am pissed that our team has sunk so low as to lose two straight and then look like crap against Baylor. I can't believe I just typed that. we have fallen so far... But changing coaches all the time is not how teams get back on top. :boxosoap

This would be a good post, except for one tiny, little detail.

I'm sure you did see screen passes, bubble screens, and the little dink/dunk passes. The problem with that, is that NEBRASKA - as of right now - does not have anyone capable of making those plays work. Yeah, they work great other places because they have the explosive players to take a small pass of two to five yards and make it go for 20+ yards. Nebraska do not have said players. And that is why it looks awful silly when Holt takes a short screen pass and goes for two yards, and that is why everyone was getting annoyed by the playcalling.

An offensive coordinator's job is to use the talent they have and put them in situations to make big plays. Besides the Kansas game, Watson has done a horrible job of this. He has been trying to put a square peg into a round hole, and as the year progressed, instead of getting a round peg for the round hole, he just got a bigger hammer.

But finally, after 10 games, Watson has finally figured out what was so painfully obvious to many fans watching.