Watson is not the problem

The playcalling has no tempo or ingenuity - blame Watson for that.

Where have all the pancakes gone? Our backs can't get yards when our OL is on the ground more often than defenders - that's on Cotton.

One good thing about the O-line yesterday was fewer holding and false start penalties.

Our receivers don't scare anybody. I was looking at Texas highlights, and thinking, "We need talent like that at WR." I don't know who to blame for that.

The playcalling has no tempo or ingenuity - blame Watson for that.

Where have all the pancakes gone? Our backs can't get yards when our OL is on the ground more often than defenders - that's on Cotton.

One good thing about the O-line yesterday was fewer holding and false start penalties.

Our receivers don't scare anybody. I was looking at Texas highlights, and thinking, "We need talent like that at WR." I don't know who to blame for that.

Like I said...we have a lack of talent. As far as the play calling, I am convinced that it is a trap shoot at this time, no matter what we do it is hit or miss, and this is because we just don't have the talent for the most part on offense. I don't care what plays are called right now, I don't think anything will give us any tempo. You have to be able to do some facet of the game successfully to create tempo, and at this point we can't run, can't pass. Receivers can't get open or drop the balls thrown to them and the pocket is collapsing too quick to wait for anyone to get open , and the backs can't get past the offensive line because there are no holes and they aren't physical enough to break through themselves or fast enough to get around the ends. It is sad when your best back is a true freshman QB. How do you create tempo? What ingenuity is there that isn't being used? You can have all the ingenuity you want, but if your offense can't do what you draw up, you will not see success - or any kind of tempo.

Let me see if I have this right--

the screen passes suck

the bubble screen sucks

our play calling is predictable

our players are not tough

we need smashmouth

we need option

why don't we run more

why don't we use the tight ends more

I'm sure there are more, but these are the problems most Watson haters are having (it seems).

My take:

Watson is not the problem, he has become the scapegoat. Let me first say that I am not a big fan of this system and I wish we never would have stopped the option--but this is what we have.

I was watching football all day today--and you know what I saw? screens, bubbles, runs out of the shotgun and draws. The same stuff Watson calls. It was working OK for most of those schools.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we are getting "predictalble passes and runs" is because our offensive players are not capable of doing more.

Watson spends 80 hours a week doing nothing but offense for a division I program. Don't you think the idea of "throwing downfield" has crossed his mind. There is probably a reason he doesn't do it. That reason is probably because our receivers couldn't catch a cold and our QB's are young and inexperienced. They can't manage to hook up on most 5 yard passes--it is pretty hard to have "unpredictable plays" when your people can't execute a play right in front of them. Well then "just run up the middle". I think that idea has probably also popped into watson's brain at some point. If it was that simple don't you think he would do it? The reason we don't is probably because our O-line can't knock anyone off the line and most of our RB's are hurt or are Freshmen.

Let's put it this way Watson hater-- You are now hired to be OC, what plays are YOU going to call? Remember, most passes will not be caught and most runs will be stuffed behind the line. Good luck. Seriously, think about this. It is 3rd and 6, what are you going to call?

This offense was never going to be good. The reason we put up numbers early on in the season is because we were hiding our deficiencies. Now ever team (and any fan who has watched more than a couple games) knows them. We simply don't have the players--yet. I see glimmers of hope out there--but most of them are young kids just getting experience. Give them a chance to grow.

Watson may not be the right guy for this job, and this offense is probably not the right offense for Nebraska, but a lot of the anger and bitching at Watson is misguided. You are a fan, you have a right to your opinion, but you don't have a right to be a jack-ass.

I am pissed that our team has sunk so low as to lose two straight and then look like crap against Baylor. I can't believe I just typed that. we have fallen so far... But changing coaches all the time is not how teams get back on top. :boxosoap

Sorry but when people go downfield with the ball it is a setup...they don't completely expect it to work and you might even get lucky to get a pass interference call. If one of your starters isn't getting the job done then you find someone who will. And who's job is it to get those guys ready to play...Oh IDK the coaches maybe? Most of us won't blame Bo really, because we know Watson basically has full control of the offense. So Bo can get his defense to go from basically crap to what it is now and Watson can't get his offense to do anything and he has been with the offense longer than Bo was with the team?

How about I put it this way...I see that the zone read, bubble screen, blah blah blah isn't working and yet I still keep running it? My best players are probably my tightends and I don't use them very often. The power formations we have been using have had success, but I go away from that and go back to my same plays that aren't. All my QB's must be taught to look at one guy the whole time cause that is what all of them do. I thought the QB position was Watson's specialty? I get to the 4 yard line and 1st down I call a pass when we obviously can't catch the ball. Or better yet we pass the ball on 3 straight downs and go 3 and out. Which usually happens in panic mode even if we are down 3 points. And I never consistently try to run the ball. The runs that get called are usually sprinkled in. I have 320 plays that I throw at these guys...yeah we don't run all of those, but I expect them to learn them.

Sorry but your job is to coach these guys and make them better, more prepared players. Bo did his job on the defense and he is head coach so the offense should fall on him too except we know that the offense is Watson's show. So Watson is not the full problem, but he isn't helping anything either. Coaches and schemes make a huge difference in this game...more than we probably think. Watson can't outcoach any defense and it shows. Plus I personally think we would be better off going back to a run first team, because the recruiting would be much easier. We can get the big boys for the line around here along with the running backs. We will never get a big time receiver and even if we do we won't get the ball in their hands. Those teams that were successful running these same plays are using those plays to get the ball in their playmakers hands. Cincinatti really comes to mind there.

You hit the nail on the head!! I agree 100%

1. Please explain Bill Snyder's offensive success at KSU in 1/2 season with KSU's personnel. This was a team that just scored 30 on OU.

2. Now, after you explain that to us, what was that you were saying about Watson--a man with a few years under his belt as OC at Nebraska? That's right, I didn't think you had anything to say.....

Okay, I've read all the posts since my post further up the thread. Doesn't anyone want to answer my question? Before you start on the "we don't have the personnel" excuse, explain Bill Snyder's success with KSU this year. Is there something we can learn from him? For you pups out there that were filling your diapers when he was coaching, Snyder's that old dinosaur dude that represents an era of football that "no longer works nowadays." What is Snyder doing with Peru State-caliber athletes that is generating success in the Big 12? Riddle me that, Batman.

1. Please explain Bill Snyder's offensive success at KSU in 1/2 season with KSU's personnel. This was a team that just scored 30 on OU.

2. Now, after you explain that to us, what was that you were saying about Watson--a man with a few years under his belt as OC at Nebraska? That's right, I didn't think you had anything to say.....

Okay, I've read all the posts since my post further up the thread. Doesn't anyone want to answer my question? Before you start on the "we don't have the personnel" excuse, explain Bill Snyder's success with KSU this year. Is there something we can learn from him? For you pups out there that were filling your diapers when he was coaching, Snyder's that old dinosaur dude that represents an era of football that "no longer works nowadays." What is Snyder doing with Peru State-caliber athletes that is generating success in the Big 12? Riddle me that, Batman.

:clap

Who is responsible for getting our players to execute? The offensive coaches. Who is an offensive coach? Watson

Do you expect him to wave a magic wand and give them powers that they don't possess? If they don't have the ability it isn't going to happen. Everyone has their individual limits. Otherwise we could just plug any kid in and expect them to be super stars, wouldn't we. This offense is ability-impaired, talent-challenged, whatever you want to call it. They are not as good as the other teams that we are coming up against. Period. Until they show otherwise, that is how I see it.

After four full years of dreaming up mindless excuses for Callahan's outrageous failures they're experienced, skilled & motivated to do the same for SW.

When the rubber hits the road, the problem is Bo Pelini. You can complain about Watson all you want but who has to give his over-all approval to the offensive game plan? Who has the final say on player development...who plays...who sits, etc...the head coach.

Pelini came in to the head coaching job as a defensive mastermind to repair a defense that needed to be rebuilt. He's done that. He'd have made a great DC at Nebraska. But I don't think his defense dominated attitude fits well with the offense. I'm pretty sure he knows his deficincies on the offensive side of the ball so he's allowed Watson to run things there for him. Unfortunately, he's found out that the real OC...Joe Ganz..graduated so now its on him to figure out what is going to work and he hasn't gotten up to the task yet.

Frankly...just watching the play and reactions, I think his style of leadership, instead of firing up the offense, has them scared to death. They look tentative or like they are pushing too hard to make sure Pelini doesn't grab hold of their grills on the way off the field and scream at them about a mistake they made. Then you have Watson who seems too weak willed to stand up for his guys. I wouldn't doubt during team meetings that Bo makes a point of letting the offense know that the defense is the only thing that keeps NU in games and they need to pull their heads out of their butts. Are you, as an offensive player, going to be able to do your best when you know your HC is just waiting to jump your sh#t coming off the field if you foul up? Why did Helu play against Iowa State when it was obvious he should have rested...coaches tell him he was a pu&&y? Did Helu tell Watson he could go because if he told him he couldn't he was going to find on the receiving end of a tongue lashing about being a whimp and not having any guts. Hard to say...but watching Pelini prowl the sidelines, barking at officials, his coaches and his own players...not hard to imagine the scenario.

The fiery, emotional thing might work on defense but a head coach needs to inspire some confidence on the offense too and yelling and threatening is not the best way to go about it. I played for a guy who thought some name-calling and finger pointing was a great motivational tool but it wasn't. Most of us said..."yeah...whatever" I'm sure it's good for recruiting to see the head coach grabbing players and yelling at them when they come off the field. Might be great for news clips and highlight reels but...not so much for high schoolers with choices of where they want to go.

Bah...what I'm trying to say is the fish rots from the head down.... <_<

I just find it a tad ironic that over the course of the past few years while Watson has been here, most fans have been extolling his ability as an OC. Hell, just a few weeks ago, people were talking about how they hoped he never leaves the program. etc. Now all of a sudden people want him fired. I don't think Watson is the problem personally. The problem starts with the players. What I seen were players playing without attitude and passion. Players who were just going thru the motions. That's not the coaches fault. You can talk it up all you want but unless the players go thru with it, there's not much you can do except change personnel (which we seen happen yesterday).

And lets remember...Baylor is not the same Baylor anymore. Briles is a good coach. I even read on this very board, fans saying they were worried about Baylor beating us because they knew Briles has the Baylor program heading in the right direction. This game should not have surprised anyone.

Those people were apparently wrong.

I love how some people claim that Watson paired back the offense because of Cody. Every play Bubble screen after buble screen seemed the same as is Zac was the QB. Other then the ocassional option play out of the shotgun I saw no difference in play calling. Zac must still had his training wheels on to.

Hard to fault Cody when the plays called coming out of the half was 3 run plays then the next possesion bubble screen and a 2 yard out which both pass plays were completed for next to no gain. Sure Green threw a bad pick but that was the same play Ganz constantly got picked off game after game and he was the Golden boy. Oklahoma first pass comes to mind right off.

How hard is it to figure out if your a defensive coach not to have everyone within five yards of scrimage when there is almost no threat of a deep pass. Even if they complete one the chance of Nebraska throwing deep again is almost negligible.

Someone bought up how fun it was watching Oregon offense last night the sad thing is that they run the same kind of plays but for the notable exception of actualy throwing the ball downfield.

I just find it a tad ironic that over the course of the past few years while Watson has been here, most fans have been extolling his ability as an OC. Hell, just a few weeks ago, people were talking about how they hoped he never leaves the program. etc. Now all of a sudden people want him fired. I don't think Watson is the problem personally. The problem starts with the players. What I seen were players playing without attitude and passion. Players who were just going thru the motions. That's not the coaches fault. You can talk it up all you want but unless the players go thru with it, there's not much you can do except change personnel (which we seen happen yesterday).

And lets remember...Baylor is not the same Baylor anymore. Briles is a good coach. I even read on this very board, fans saying they were worried about Baylor beating us because they knew Briles has the Baylor program heading in the right direction. This game should not have surprised anyone.

People on here also thought Cosgrove at one time was a good defensive coach so whats your point? <_<

We got the zone read running style from Snyder. He was running that a long time ago. Thanks for nothing Bill. Evidently you haven't seen ALL the Snyder teams and are just going on a few games. You'd be a lot more convincing if they had beat Oklahoma...what was that score?

When the rubber hits the road, the problem is Bo Pelini. You can complain about Watson all you want but who has to give his over-all approval to the offensive game plan? Who has the final say on player development...who plays...who sits, etc...the head coach.

Pelini came in to the head coaching job as a defensive mastermind to repair a defense that needed to be rebuilt. He's done that. He'd have made a great DC at Nebraska. But I don't think his defense dominated attitude fits well with the offense. I'm pretty sure he knows his deficincies on the offensive side of the ball so he's allowed Watson to run things there for him. Unfortunately, he's found out that the real OC...Joe Ganz..graduated so now its on him to figure out what is going to work and he hasn't gotten up to the task yet.

Frankly...just watching the play and reactions, I think his style of leadership, instead of firing up the offense, has them scared to death. They look tentative or like they are pushing too hard to make sure Pelini doesn't grab hold of their grills on the way off the field and scream at them about a mistake they made. Then you have Watson who seems too weak willed to stand up for his guys. I wouldn't doubt during team meetings that Bo makes a point of letting the offense know that the defense is the only thing that keeps NU in games and they need to pull their heads out of their butts. Are you, as an offensive player, going to be able to do your best when you know your HC is just waiting to jump your sh#t coming off the field if you foul up? Why did Helu play against Iowa State when it was obvious he should have rested...coaches tell him he was a pu&&y? Did Helu tell Watson he could go because if he told him he couldn't he was going to find on the receiving end of a tongue lashing about being a whimp and not having any guts. Hard to say...but watching Pelini prowl the sidelines, barking at officials, his coaches and his own players...not hard to imagine the scenario.

The fiery, emotional thing might work on defense but a head coach needs to inspire some confidence on the offense too and yelling and threatening is not the best way to go about it. I played for a guy who thought some name-calling and finger pointing was a great motivational tool but it wasn't. Most of us said..."yeah...whatever" I'm sure it's good for recruiting to see the head coach grabbing players and yelling at them when they come off the field. Might be great for news clips and highlight reels but...not so much for high schoolers with choices of where they want to go.

Nice fantasy. Please keep repeating it as many times as it takes for you to actually believe it.

• 2 weeks later...

i hope you are right. get rid of the pussies that cant handle manning up like old school, knock you if the f'ing mouth every single play, make you want to run to the locker room at half, camp there and change your tampons, not give a sh#t what anyone else thinks nebraska offensive players. i hope Bo makes them all so damn uncomfortable that they all leave. there are too many remnants of callahacks pansy ass program. good riddance.