What does the rest of husker nation feel about this

Watson's offense has worked here in the past, but it's not working this season. It's Pelini's second year as head coach with us and he was upfront at the very beginning that this would take a while and there would be hurdles.

Sorry, but removing an OC after one poor season when his previous offenses have been downright dangerous is just insane. Add to it the fact that we lost a fair amount of talent that many of us took for granted (and are now sorely missing) and you will be extremely sorry if we do let Watson go.

What could be more insane than keeping an OC with this year's pathetic performance? It's not like he didn't have lots and lots of pathetic offenses at Colorado too. It's just this year he's "excelled" at failure.

Sorry EbylHusker, NU cfb isn't the post office. As terrible to your ears as it sounds...."results" matter bigtime here.

I think at this point if we were to change O.C.'s we should pursue dana holgorson, or Jason Phillips from Houston. They seem to put teams on the field every year that move the ball on anybody. Just a thought in which i would value the opinion's of others. (sorry watson, but when you're making big six figures you should be finding a way to move the ball with girl scouts) :horns2

I would love to have Tim Jagodzinski at NU as OC.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

If we stick to power football and stacking the line with tightends and using the fullback to spring Robinson and Helu for the rest of the season I think our Oline will start to excel. Give them an identity and let them perfect their power runblocking all week in practice week after week. I still think we just have a jumble of offensive coaches that have different philosophies and until they all decide on one, we'll continue to underachieve.

Watson's offense has worked here in the past, but it's not working this season. It's Pelini's second year as head coach with us and he was upfront at the very beginning that this would take a while and there would be hurdles.

Sorry, but removing an OC after one poor season when his previous offenses have been downright dangerous is just insane. Add to it the fact that we lost a fair amount of talent that many of us took for granted (and are now sorely missing) and you will be extremely sorry if we do let Watson go.

Um no it hasn't and to keep repeating that like a mantra in every thread does not make it so. Even when everyones all american qb Ganz was the QB and had the duo of Peterson and Swift this offense still struggled to score against the like of Oklahoma and Missou (at home)last year. <_< I will wait for the stadard they were ranked 11 or whatever last year in offense last year response. :sarcasm

If Nebraska just had a top 25 defense this year instead of a top 5 one then this team would have had at least two more losses.

It's funny how most of the yardage Nebraska got was through running the old fashion way.

Wow...yeah, I just won't even bother, you're not worth the effort, rofl.

What could be more insane than keeping an OC with this year's pathetic performance? It's not like he didn't have lots and lots of pathetic offenses at Colorado too. It's just this year he's "excelled" at failure.

Sorry EbylHusker, NU cfb isn't the post office. As terrible to your ears as it sounds...."results" matter bigtime here.

And basically the same goes for you. If you truly believe firing an OC due to one season's performance is a good idea, then I won't bother.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

If we stick to power football and stacking the line with tightends and using the fullback to spring Robinson and Helu for the rest of the season I think our Oline will start to excel. Give them an identity and let them perfect their power runblocking all week in practice week after week. I still think we just have a jumble of offensive coaches that have different philosophies and until they all decide on one, we'll continue to underachieve.

This is what I was thinking myself...now I don't know how good Cotton is as a coach yet, but I do know that we need to help out our line as much as possible with the fullback and tightends blocking. We need something to lay our hat on offensively and everyone needs to get on board with it (coaches and players). Once we get that figured out then we can stop thinking and just do it. I think this offense we have now needs too much time for players to get down, everyone has to be on the same page, and lacks a meanness. A power run game just feels like Nebraska's way, because of the types of recruits we can pull in around our region.

While I would love to rush for 400+ yards a game again, it doesn't look like we will be moving to the type of offense that is designed for such. As for not being able to get anyone good as a new OC, I don't necessarily buy it. What more could an OC want than a defense that doesn't allow the other team points and constantly gets the ball back to your unit. Also, we should be in a pretty good recruiting position. An offense that likes to throw with no one on the roster who can toss it or catch it. In other words, you can play here real quick. Whatever happens, things need to change sooner rather than later.

I think if anybody needs to leave it should be Cotton. Our O-line is the main reason IMO why our offense has struggled. Last year we had Slauson, et al, and the o-line did pretty good.

I agree 100% he baffles me.

How come you can have D-1 talent and do nothing with them??????

He might have d-1 talent but this isn't up to par with last years team, new starting WR's and new Qb. We might have good tight ends but they're not gonna be able to get open if theres not respect from the d towards our WR's or QB, if i were defense facing us i would stack the box every single time. Theres no passing threat at all. This one isn't on watson folks we just don't have the talent we've had on offense we had. Also the line... dedhoarse

I think if anybody needs to leave it should be Cotton. Our O-line is the main reason IMO why our offense has struggled. Last year we had Slauson, et al, and the o-line did pretty good.

I agree 100% he baffles me.

How come you can have D-1 talent and do nothing with them??????

He might have d-1 talent but this isn't up to par with last years team, new starting WR's and new Qb. We might have good tight ends but they're not gonna be able to get open if theres not respect from the d towards our WR's or QB, if i were defense facing us i would stack the box every single time. Theres no passing threat at all. This one isn't on watson folks we just don't have the talent we've had on offense we had. Also the line... dedhoarse

Just might be me but if they are stacking the line like you said wouldn't trying to pass downfield once in awhile be a way to get them to stop that.

Watson calling the plays he recruited the QB's and receivers or had a say who he wanted for this offense. How bad does the offense have to get before the OC takes part of the blame for whats going on? It's not like this is year 1 in this offense for Watson he is going on in year 4.

I've never been a Watson basher and agree that coaches don't get stupid in one season. It has a lot to do with our QB, receivers, and O-line as any coaching, but I still question his play calling now and then. An option with Lee? That's not even an option, he HAS to pitch it to gain yards because he can't run it himself ever. That play turned it over and could have cost us the game.

I think at this point if we were to change O.C.'s we should pursue dana holgorson, or Jason Phillips from Houston. They seem to put teams on the field every year that move the ball on anybody. Just a thought in which i would value the opinion's of others. (sorry watson, but when you're making big six figures you should be finding a way to move the ball with girl scouts) :horns2

I would love to have Tim Jagodzinski at NU as OC.

I assume you mean Jeff Jagodzinski?

I would prefer Steve Logan if you wanted somebody off that staff.

This is an interesting read about coordinators and their rise from obscurity to the lime-light in recent years.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/08/2...y-coordinators/

i think itd be awesome if we brought an option attack offense back to lincoln. just look what paul johnson has done at georgia tech in 2 years! he also put navy in bowl games and beat notre dame while at navy. ive never been a fan of passing and a power running game or an option attack would fit right in. i just wouldnt bring a passing attack to lincoln. its really not nebraska football when you throw it more than 20 times in a game in my opinion