Osborne's input

np_husker

One of the announcers during the game said that Watson stated he was leaving his ego at the door... or something to that effect. I think this has been part of the problem. I know he wants to run his WCO the way he wants to do it. But you have to work with the talent that is available. The talent we have offensively are not ready at this point to do what he wants. So getting invaluable insight from TO and utilizing his advice was really needed... as TO knew how to work with the talent that he had. I think this is a step in the right direction and hope to see improvement from his coaching and play calling. Watson making the right changes will make our offense better!!

I noticed that play and instantly thought, holy hell this isn't 1997. But it worked, so I ate my words.

Now reading that Watson has been picking the brain of Dr. Tom, considering that play, it makes me wonder what other plays did he seek advice on.

If anybody knows anything about the Nebraska offense from the '90s, you know that Joe Gibbs and the Washington Redskins implemented several I-Form run plays from the Nebraska offense.

Now if these plays are good enough for the NFL, they're good enough for Coach Watson. Is it any wonder that Helu was starting to average 5 yards a pop again? I noticed guards pulling and misdirection. Beautiful.

Not a fan of Watson, but if he's figured out that bubble screen and 4 yard outs don't work (West Coast crap) and that power I and play action passes can work, then good for him to swallow his pride and allow the team to play to it's talents. Though I still can't stand how they hit a 30 yard play early in the game and they never try to hit it later in the game.

In all fairness though this was a not a talented defense Nebraska played. This was the reason Nebraska was going to beat them before the season started.

I noticed that play and instantly thought, holy hell this isn't 1997. But it worked, so I ate my words.

Now reading that Watson has been picking the brain of Dr. Tom, considering that play, it makes me wonder what other plays did he seek advice on.

If anybody knows anything about the Nebraska offense from the '90s, you know that Joe Gibbs and the Washington Redskins implemented several I-Form run plays from the Nebraska offense.

Now if these plays are good enough for the NFL, they're good enough for Coach Watson. Is it any wonder that Helu was starting to average 5 yards a pop again? I noticed guards pulling and misdirection. Beautiful.

The O-line was actually blocking them correctly. There was nothing wrong with the previous types of plays being called except we weren't executing them properly. It doesn't have anything to do with "this play is superior to this play and Watson has finally found the magic plays that always work" or anything like that. To see that, all you need to do is watch the multitudes of other teams that successfully run those types of plays. The difference boils down to Watson finally finding something that will work for this group of players.

Here is the perfect video that shows the play so just wait till the 1:02 mark of the video. I've missed this play for years and I'm glad that they're finally running that play and opening up the playbook more than just the stupid zone read shotgun formation.

vqIRrUYETfY

Joe Gibbs took the Counter Gap from Osbourne. Renamed it a Counter Trey. Most Redskin fans think Gibbs invented it. Gibbs has said he got it from Nebraska several times.