Only Gill & Downing retain positions!!

Check this nonsense out:

NU's assistants: All but Gill, Downing are out

BY ELIZABETH MERRILL AND RICH KAIPUST

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINCOLN - As Nebraska's coaches learned their fate Monday, two Big 12 schools were ready to swoop in on Bo Pelini and Barney Cotton.

NU Head Football Coach Bill Callahan

Cotton, who wasn't retained as the Huskers' offensive coordinator, has an offer to be the offensive coordinator at Iowa State, said a person close to the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Pelini is going to Oklahoma on Thursday to chat with OU Coach Bob Stoops, presumably about a job as a defensive coordinator.

Also Monday, former NU Secondary Coach Marvin Sanders was pondering an offer to become North Carolina's co-defensive coordinator.

Pelini was a candidate for Nebraska's head coaching position before Bill Callahan was officially hired on Friday. Callahan met with the staff Monday and retained just two assistants - Quarterbacks Coach Turner Gill, who was offered a job as receivers coach, and Recruiting Coordinator Scott Downing.

Gill, Nebraska's quarterbacks coach since 1992, said he has opportunities in the pros and with a college team, and he would think about Callahan's offer Monday night and tell him his decision Tuesday.

Downing will remain on staff to help with recruiting, but his status beyond that is unclear. Downing is NU's recruiting coordinator, and last season coached the Huskers' tight ends and kickers.

Pelini declined to comment to reporters as he left South Stadium on Monday afternoon, saying only that his meeting with Callahan went "fine."

Both coordinators had been at Nebraska for just one season and were hired when Frank Solich revamped his staff last winter. Solich was fired on Nov. 29.

As he got in his truck Monday, Cotton said he'd explore other opportunities but declined to say what they were.

"This chapter closes," Cotton said. "We'll start a new chapter in our coaching careers tomorrow."

Iowa State Coach Dan McCarney couldn't be reached Monday. McCarney fired Offensive Coordinator Steve Brickey last month after a 2-10 season. He also fired Offensive Line Coach Marty Fine.

Cotton also served as the Huskers' offensive line coach.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u_pg...dc1e965b6868d70

Yes by nonsense I mean the substance. Marvin Sanders is a BIG loss, as is Ron Brown, and needless to say BP. Not sure why anyone would think TG could do a better job at WR coach than Ron Brown. I understand Brown upset quite a few with all his bible talk, but he was still a solid coach and a good recruiter. Do you guys disagree? If so, please provide good reasons, b/c I cant believe anyone would be satisfied with losing Sanders Brown and BP in a days work.

The article was posted in this forum for discussion and the 'husker headlines' forum for archive purposes, as the description of the forum states. clear things up?

Ron Brown and Sanders were the two I REALLY wanted to be kept... I also wanted Gill and Williams kept but not on the same level as Brown and Sanders. I feel bad for Brown... The guy might do his bible talk but it has never bothered me... Infact I think its a good thing... What better way to show a recruit and family you have morals and values then actually being religous?

Sanders is one hell of a coach... he will do fine finding a job fast... just wish he was with us...

Pelini was gone anyways and not sure how BP and Callahan would have been able to work together...

Oh well... Its sad to see someone like Brown go... He is a great person and a good coach... not many like him around...

Pelini is going to Oklahoma on Thursday to chat with OU Coach Bob Stoops, presumably about a job as a defensive coordinator.

ow.

that barney goes, i kinda figured... but losing bo to oklahoma... that's like...

ow.

and this was callahan's choice to let bo go? if so... well...

ow.

this pain might subside... but i suspect it'll re-accure sometime 'round november 19 when the huskers head down to norman. and when that happens... we'll *all* be feelin' the burn...

Guest WyomingHusker

This news sickens me! I am happy Gill can stay if he wants but I hope he leaves as well as some of the players. I tried to burn every Big Red item I owned but my threw a fit and it will become floor mats and dog bedding. :angry:

The end of a tradition. I could handle the firing of Solich, I got over it. Then not hiring Pelini, well I had just got over that. Then firing all of the assistants is the last straw! Bo, Barney, and Ron! God bless and good luck in all of your future endeavors! As if they read this forum any way!

Callahan and Pederson, go pound sand in your a$$! GO BUFFS! GO WILDCATS! GO SOONERS!

Being born and raised in Nebraska, this is the worst thing I can imagine! Thank God I live in WY!

I will bet the recruiting of in state atheletes ends also.

mad2.gif

Well for one thing I don't believe the in state recruiting is going down hill. The high schoolers today are too young to fully understand all that tradition, but only through stories. They haven't lived it all. They were only 8 or 9 years old when Osborne left and there have been a number of changes since then. It hurts all of us more because were older. We lived the Osborne era. Or at least the second half.

It does suck, we aren't that school that has its ex-players come back or all those connections sticking together.

It is kind of odd to retain Gill and offer him the recievers position and let Brown go. You know what maybe not. Recievers are one of the easier positions to coach. Ah hell I don't know sometimes.

For all that talk Pelini gave us about "its a buisness" and "sometimes things go certain ways" he sure is being a bitch. But that's the way he is.

Think about this though. Maybe Callahan brings in a bunch of pro coaches. Or ones that have the experience like himself. Say they do well. Nebraska once again could be on the cutting edge of a trend. Just like all those fancy lifting machines that no one had, now everyone has them, the same with the the defensive changes, DB to cornerback thing, keeping the option.

Who knows maybe in the future everyone is going to go looking for these types of coaches. And then we can say again Nebraska changed the face of college football. Everyone usually looks to the pros for the latest technique, offenses etc. Now because of Nebraska they will be looking for the coaches

Also as far as recruiting, instead of getting those hit and miss recruits. Well start getting those sure fire ones. The ones LSU, Oklahoma and USC are getting because there playbook are quite similiar to the pros.

That type of recruiting used to work, just can't do it today.

Also Downings gone also. He is on staff until Feb. 4, signing day. Then they will make a decision after that. I think I know what's happening to him.

Pile I completely agree w/you. Ron Brown is a great person, and the program benefited from his presence more than we will ever know. You never had to worry about a Ron Brown disgracing the program in any fashion. Thanks for everything youve done Coach Brown. You will be missed.

[bEGIN Ramble]

And for what its worth, you would be surprised who actually DOES read these messages. Im not saying they come here often, but I do know for a fact that people from w/in the program - players, coaches, admin along with the media and fans from many other schools, not to mention recruits have been to this site.

If nothing else than to just get a sense of the "mood" of HN. If you search in google or most all other major engines for "husker message board" or "nebraska cornhuskers football board" or most other variations, the top listings all lead here.

I presume thats how most of you found it, so just keep that in mind that people close to the program are not THAT different from us in the aspect of curiousity.

You just really never know who is reading these messages, so if nothing else - and most everyone has to this point - just represent HN with class and dignity. Passion is fine and very important, but just try to remember that this is a public forum. [/END of Ramble]

Man I really do feel for these coaches though. I know its "the nature of the biz" and all, but for JHC sake they just got here last year. I sure hope Coach Cal has his new guys in route, b/c we cant afford much more flux.

:ph34r:

This is a load of sh#t. and has to be the work of little stevie pedersen. He waited until he had a scapegoat to deflect some of the blame. now it just looks like it was callahans doing. no way he already decided that all these coaches are not worthy. steve sent a man in callahan to do his bitch work because his public image couldnt take anotehr beating. what a spineless bastard.

This news sickens me!  I am happy Gill can stay if he wants but I hope he leaves as well as some of the players.  I tried to burn every Big Red item I owned but my threw a fit and it will become floor mats and dog bedding.  :angry: 

The end of a tradition. I could handle the firing of Solich, I got  over it.  Then not hiring Pelini, well I had just got over that.  Then  firing all of the assistants  is the last straw!  Bo, Barney, and Ron!  God bless and good luck in all of your future endeavors!  As if they read this forum any way!

Callahan and Pederson, go pound sand in your a$$!    GO BUFFS!  GO WILDCATS! GO SOONERS!

Being born and raised in Nebraska, this is the worst thing I can imagine!  Thank God I live in WY!

I will bet the recruiting of in state  atheletes ends also.

mad2.gif

I can't say I didn't expect that reply WyHusker. Go ahead and stew in your hatred

and pound that tradition bible. We'll be off celebrating national championships sooner

than later. Please, root for someone else.

Oh and before you ask, yes, I was born in Nebraska and still live here. I just seem

to have a more realistic view on the topic. College football is changing and that has

to be accepted.

I'm all for tradition, but I see when things have to change. See it as starting a new

tradition. Hell, after 40 years maybe it's time for a change to be competitive, huh?

End of state recruiting. Yea, ok. Exactly how will players NOT be drawn to a team

that can better prepare them for a career in football?

There is no doubt that these coaches will be missed by many and maybe it isn't fair.

But no one said life was fair. This does not take away from their years of service at

all.

Anyway, I will say that I didn't expect as many to go that did but then again I didn't

really know what you expect from Callahan. I never studied him as a college or pro

coach. This is certainly a blow to the "traditionalists" (see above). To think that

Callahan won't bring people in he can work with to make the team great is just plain

stupid. Probably the biggest reason he didn't keep many is that the way he wants to

run the program is vastly different than how it has been run. Obvously he didn't think

it was worth it to "re-train", if you will, the staff.

Out of everyone, Gill was the last one I expected to get an offer to stay.

I agree that much more flux in the system and things will get nasty. After the hiring

of the assistants, hopefully things will settle down.

This is a load of sh#t. and has to be the work of little stevie pedersen. He waited until he had a scapegoat to deflect some of the blame. now it just looks like it was callahans doing. no way he already decided that all these coaches are not worthy. steve sent a man in callahan to do his bitch work because his public image couldnt take anotehr beating. what a spineless bastard.

If that isn't a bunch of hearsay, assumptions and, well basically a bunch of

BS I don't know what is.

When will people stop believing that all Pederson wants to do is drive this

program into the ground? Pretty soon hot dogs won't taste the same and you will

blame it on Pederson, you'll wake up with a sore foot and you'll blame it on

Pederson, etc, etc, etc. FIGHT THE MAN! Yea, ok. :blink::)

I was sad to see these old heros go too. But you know what, I have to face reality and accept the change that is bestowed upon me. And no Steve Pedersen isnt a gun wielding Samuel L Jackson either so there will be no "ye who walks thru the shadow of death" quotes! Get over it!

And get a grip WyomingHusker!!! Come on buddy, you cant be for real? Shake yourself, it isnt that bad. These arent your fathers Huskers. If we wanted an old timers team to suit up every game for nostalgic reasons that would make us all feel fuzzy and everything but wouldnt get us anywhere. I loved NU football the way it WAS more than anyone, but Im facing my fears and dealing with it with a positive attitude. Steve is doing what he sees fit, and will pay the piper if things dont go too well. We'll jump off that bridge when we get to it. But for now if you want your "old" Huskers back which happened to be WINNERS, you'll stop WHINING and start supporting Husker Nation and help the BIG RED MACHINE get back rumbling on the winning track!!!

NU ERA!!! :P

I must say I agree with some of his ranting. Which is more important Nebraksa Tradition or Nebraksa winning Big 12/NC's? Well I think we have seen what Pederson thinks and my only comment to that is you sold tradition to win so you better start winning next season and winning big, I expect a better record then this year then last since winning > all now.

And I think anyone who thinks BC is gonna stick around if the pros offer him a job is kidding themselves (in my opinion, I could be wrong and hope I am). The "outdated option attack" drum has been beaten to death and was beaten in the 90's when NU won the glut of NC's. I don't want Nebraska to become the new and improved Texas Tech/OU/etc. To me the true beauty of Nebraska was you knew what they were going to do, they are gonna run the ball at you. Your job is to stop them, see if you can. As well as the fact that we did win and we did it our way and not the flavor of the month offense.

Some NU fans got spoiled and expect the NC every year since the 90's, so now we win at the cost of our tradition. Guess my question is, Is it worth it? If yes then we become like every other school out there, if not then its too late and I mourn the loss of it. I am a fan of the NU players still and will support the team but my patience for losing just fell to the KSU level due to the loss of anything else we had to hang onto.

Winning vs Tradition, you decide

***SNIP***

The "outdated option attack" drum has been beaten to death and was beaten in the 90's when NU won the glut of NC's. I don't want Nebraska to become the new and improved Texas Tech/OU/etc. To me the true beauty of Nebraska was you knew what they were going to do, they are gonna run the ball at you. Your job is to stop them, see if you can. As well as the fact that we did win and we did it our way and not the flavor of the month offense.

***SNIP***

Good points. I'm not convinced you can't win with the option. When you are one of only a handful of teams that run it, it makes it decidedly difficult to prepare on a week's notice.

Second, I've always felt that if the talent level was there, any offense can be used - but the talent should dictate the type of offense. While Nebraska can, and should, recruit nationally, it's base is in states in which power football is based.

Third, if the option was the problem, then how was Nebraska able to win national championships running it less then 10 years ago? Does that mean that suddenly coaches know how to defense the option better? I don't see that.

No, to me it comes down to talent. Will the West Coast offense bring in the better talent? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd sure like to see Callahan retain the option for a few seasons, try and recruit to it, and see if he can find, for example, a passing-first quarterback who can run, receivers who can block downfield but can catch, and the absolute best offensive lineman available.

If that fails, then perhaps a switch is necessary. But until then...

I guess what I'm saying is that no one has demonstrated to my satisfaction that you can't win with the option, or that changing to the West Coast offense is necessary to recruit. Again, if that's the case, how did Nebraska do it in the '90s?

Retain the option, intensify recruiting efforts, and let's see what happens.

One of the wonderful things about Nebraska is that tradition - that ability to line up, with the defense knowing precisely what was going to happen, and still be able to march down the field.