Can we hire Kansas' offensive lines coach?

I don't think Cotton or Watson are the answers either, but suggesting that Mangino should come here to coach the o line or even be the o coordinator is not the brightest comment I have ever read. It's like saying hey maybe we can get Tuberville to come coach our offense..or maybe if rodiriguez gets fired he can be our o coordinator. Mangino is a head coach and a pretty successful one, given where he's at, why in the hell would he want to be an assistant somewhere else. He's a head coach now, he's going to go after another head coach job somewhere if he is let go.

i thought Kansas did a good job, but after seeing the pic that was in the paper the other day I have to wonder. It was just meant to be an action photo of Suh I think, but you see one guy from kansas with one arm wrapped around Suh, the other arm is wrapped around Crick, while Crick also has an arm around him coming from the other side.

You're right. Barney Cotton has done an 'excellent job in all areas'. Its absolutely stupid of me to suggest that he needs to be replaced

or, you could find one of the 30 other threads talking about how we need to replace cotton, and post this there.. or if you wanna take fat stabs at mangino, theres a 7 page long thread about that. also, Gixxer's post about "when watson is fired" is ridiculous.

you assume the facepalm is just to you.

But are any of those 30 other threads suggesting an actual replacement? I'm being serious, why not look into hiring this guy (especially considering Mangino may get fired)? I was impressed with the way Kansas' O-Line (& I doubt Kansas' O-Line recruits are any better than ours) played against our D-Line. They looked very well coached. Our offensive line (coached by Barney Cotton), on the other hand, is undisciplined & missed blocking assignments seem to have become the norm

So instead of just :facepalm: maybe you could explain why my suggestion is so 'stupid' or whatever you feel about it

You are dead on right. The way I look at it is Nebraska will never win a national championship as long as Watson and Cotton are coaching here. The huskers will be average at best. But with Coach Mangino's great knowledge of the game, especially offense, we could go to the top in 2 or 3 years with some halfway decent recruiting. Mangino forgot more about football than either Watson or Cotton will EVER know...

It would take a biblical miracle for us to win an NC with SW's wco, I fully agree.

Can you imagine trying to recruit with Kilmer er Manginer on the staff?

O-line is about hand to hand combat..probably the least coach-affected positions on the team.

Many consider Milt Tenopir one of the greatest O-line coaches ever, but he had the advantage of coaching the only team with a weight room for awhile..the others eventually caught up.

His lines looked mighty pathetic when other teams began stacking the box.

One of my fav. NFL coaches is Joe Bugel..Considered by many the best OL coach in the NFL..Responsible for the Redskins "Hogs" and returned there after head coaching stints at AZ and Oakland..

The Redskins line play this year sucks hard.

Can you imagine trying to recruit with Kilmer er Manginer on the staff?

O-line is about hand to hand combat..probably the least coach-affected positions on the team.

Many consider Milt Tenopir one of the greatest O-line coaches ever, but he had the advantage of coaching the only team with a weight room for awhile..the others eventually caught up.

His lines looked mighty pathetic when other teams began stacking the box.

One of my fav. NFL coaches is Joe Bugel..Considered by many the best OL coach in the NFL..Responsible for the Redskins "Hogs" and returned there after head coaching stints at AZ and Oakland..

The Redskins line play this year sucks hard.

I thought that Carl was quoted in the paper that it was his fault the D-line wasn't as dominant. He said the game plan was to do a controlled pass rush to limit Reesing scrambles.

Exactly, the line played controlling the gaps where Reesing could get out and hurt them. The line (& coaching) chose to not gamble w/ deep penetration for fear of holes for Reesing to slip through. You saw our guys stand up early to keep proper spacing, trying to contain Reesing.