Jim Hartung (Omaha South)

----Olympic gold medal gymnasts

Carol Moseke Frost (Cedar Rapids???)

---Olympic track athlete and Scott Frost's mother

Already mentioned but probably the best multi-sport athletes:

Bob Gibson (Omaha Tech)

---Basketball with Halrlem Globetrotters and HOF baseball with Cardinals

Gale Sayers (Omaha Central)

---HOF with Bears and held state long jump record (since 1961)until this past spring

Bill Pfeiff (Lincoln High)

---held state shot put record from the early '30s until the '60s played FB at UNL in the

mid '30s and coached state championship FB teams at LHS in the 1950s and HS coach of the year

---long time teacher, coach and adminstrator

Phil Cahoy (Omaha South)

Jim Hartung (Omaha South)

----Olympic gold medal gymnasts

Carol Moseke Frost (Cedar Rapids???)

---Olympic track athlete and Scott Frost's mother

Already mentioned but probably the best multi-sport athletes:

Bob Gibson (Omaha Tech)

---Basketball with Halrlem Globetrotters and HOF baseball with Cardinals

Gale Sayers (Omaha Central)

---HOF with Bears and held state long jump record (since 1961)until this past spring

Bill Pfeiff (Lincoln High)

---held state shot put record from the early '30s until the '60s played FB at UNL in the

mid '30s and coached state championship FB teams at LHS in the 1950s and HS coach of the year

---long time teacher, coach and adminstrator

Very nice listing of athletes. :thumbs

Not that I disagree with Woodhead, but if we're going to list him then we have to list Ed Thompson from Cambridge. He was an All American in D2, and he broke nearly all the QB records at UNO. Also, we'll have to list Strand from Imperial as he holds quite a few of the records at Chadron and was also an All American D2. We should also list Coleman from McCook. He was an All American at Kearney and holds quite a few records.

I guess I was assuming we were listing D1 athletes.

There was this guy named Ed Smith I believe who was this phenom of a bball playr from Northwest high back in 1993-94 period i believe. anyone else remember him or know what happnend to him? Also how about thos Benson track stars back in the early-mid 90s that were incredible but flamed out. rmember them? Ronnie somthin i believe..

I just remembered a couple from years ago. The first was Tom Kropf. He was recruited to play basketball and football at UNL, but I believe he finished his career at Kearney. He then was drafted and played pro bball at the Nuggets and I believe the Bulls.

The second was Bill Jackman. Initially, I believe he played college bball at Duke but ended up coming back to UNL. He started either 2 or 3 years at UNL. He attended high school at Grant.

Wasn't there a kid with the last name Billips or something like that, that ended up going to Iowa State about 5 years ago? We recruited him hard as I believe he was a 4 star recruit, but we wanted him to play defense and he wanted to play offense. He ended up playing defense for Iowa State. He went to a Omaha school. I know he started for a couple of years for Iowa State.