NU-TU: Keys to the Game?

craigsker

Here's what an anonymous Big12 assistant (obviously a Sooner) wrote about Texas:

A QUICK LOOK AT TEXAS

OFFENSE Colt McCoy was off the charts last year, and he kind of has come back to earth. He is turning the ball over more. The issue with their offense is it’s really Colt McCoy and [wide receiver Jordan] Shipley. We were really physical with Shipley and he wasn’t a major factor in our game. When you can force those other receivers to have to be the playmakers and you limit what they do in the run game, you can manage them offensively. Now, that’s easier said than done. That’s what we were able to do. We were physical. We knocked Shipley around and we got after McCoy, too. And we really limited their running game.

And they don’t have a great running game, anyway. The issue they will have in a title game is can they sustain a running game? And can the other receivers hurt you besides Shipley? I think that’s where their weaknesses are.

The running backs are good athletes. A little of it is their scheme. They aren’t a downhill running team. They are a spread, lateral team that tries to hit creases on you. The last couple of years, they haven’t been a great running team. McCoy has gotten them off the hook in tough situations by scrambling. He hasn’t run as much this year. I think he was dinged up early. So that hasn’t been as big a factor. … He doesn’t look like a substantial guy, but he seems to stand up to the hits pretty well.

DEFENSE They pressure you without blitzing. They’ll bring one guy and play a lot of press technique. They tried to play a lot of man against us. We had some schemes on them. We were just one skill kid away from beating them offensively. We just needed to make a play. We were just a play away. You can be physical with them, so it will be interesting to see how they do against a physical outfit.

They will pressure you, and they have the athletes to run with you and play good man defense. They will try to get [sergio] Kindle on the edge and into your quarterback’s face.

We got in some cluster sets and ran a lot of crossing routes and pick plays, and we made some plays. We just couldn’t pop a guy with some of our young receivers. When they get into a championship situation and match up to some similar athletes, someone [on the other team] will have to make a play.

I think they are outstanding in the back end. Their safeties have more speed and range than most anybody. Their corners are as good as there are in our league. Kindle is a guy who was better last year when they had Brian Orakpo. I thought they were tougher schematically to play against last year because they had two pass rushers. They have adequate pass rushers [this season]. Kindle is a little more on his own this year, which limits his effectiveness even though he still is a tremendous talent.

But what makes them go is their secondary and the fact they can press you. Their safeties have such range that when you get people open, they can run you down. [Earl] Thomas is fantastic. I wish he’d [go pro], to be honest with you. Both safeties are talented. They are young, too. You may see something on them schematically, but they recover so quickly.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...s&type=lgns

Texas isn't quite the same team now that they were then though.

I wouldn't say Colt is any less of a player this year like this guy said. Last years numbers were pretty crazy and that's hard to duplicate, but he has been a difference maker. I agree with the run game comment...if Texas makes it to the NCG then will they have the run game to win? I still think the run game and defense is what will win championships.