NU-TU: Keys to the Game?

craigsker

It will be exactly like the OU game, except Texas will score a lot more and we will score 10 again.

Our offense will need gift wrapped red zone turnovers to have any hope for scoring 10 or more points.

Did any of you watch the TU/TA&M game last night? A&M moved the ball all over the Longhorns and I don't want to here how freaking much better A&M's offense is than ours, THEY SUCK PEOPLE!!! A&M has been the whipping boy for pretty much all the Big 12 south this year. I think Texas has shown several times this year that they can be very suspect and not the Goliath that some make them out to be. After watching last nights game, our D will give McCoy and Co. major fits next week. TU's defense was very susceptible to a good running game and our O is getting better. Either way, we almost always play them very close even when we were way down (07). I am hearing more and more commentators say that the Huskers have a legitimate shot at winning this. At the half of the Cinci/Illinois game they were talking about it and said that the Huskers could pull it off, especially after watching last nights game.

aTm skill positions on offense >>> NU skill positions. No way to spin it sir . . . A&M's QB and WR's are wayyy better than ours.

We will see!!! :) I'll take our record over theirs any day of the week, no way to spin that either. We can very well beat Texas and I am not the only one saying it by any means.

I'm not saying that I don't think we have a shot to beat Texas. I'm just saying that if we do . . . odds are very good that we do it on the back of our defense . . . not on winning a shootout as Texas A&M almost did. I'll take Jerrod Johnson and the A&M receivers over Lee/Green and Paul/Holt/Gilleylen any day of the week.

Granted, I'll give you that. What excited me though was how A&M ran the ball so well against them. If the Huskers can keep improving the ground game, it could get very interesting.

Exactly. Unless NU switches to the option in the next week it's pretty moot. Their RBs had 1 good run.

i bet our defense will score a touchdown. NU will not allow them to run so they will have to pass and we will be able to exploit that. if we can score 21 points, i think we can win. i know, i'll get attacked for saying if we can score 21, but between Rex and Helu, we will run and get 1st downs on 3rd and short and eventually open up the big pass.

It will be exactly like the OU game, except Texas will score a lot more and we will score 10 again.

Our offense will need gift wrapped red zone turnovers to have any hope for scoring 10 or more points.

Did any of you watch the TU/TA&M game last night? A&M moved the ball all over the Longhorns and I don't want to here how freaking much better A&M's offense is than ours, THEY SUCK PEOPLE!!! A&M has been the whipping boy for pretty much all the Big 12 south this year. I think Texas has shown several times this year that they can be very suspect and not the Goliath that some make them out to be. After watching last nights game, our D will give McCoy and Co. major fits next week. TU's defense was very susceptible to a good running game and our O is getting better. Either way, we almost always play them very close even when we were way down (07). I am hearing more and more commentators say that the Huskers have a legitimate shot at winning this. At the half of the Cinci/Illinois game they were talking about it and said that the Huskers could pull it off, especially after watching last nights game.

aTm skill positions on offense >>> NU skill positions. No way to spin it sir . . . A&M's QB and WR's are wayyy better than ours.

If aTm has such good skill positions how come their record sucks??????????

Because their defense is BAD and their OL play is spotty. Simple enough, no?

If aTm has such good skill positions how come their record sucks??????????

That is a bad stance to have to prove a point. It can be argued where would our record be without the defense based on how our offense played.

Keys to the NE vs. UT game hmmmmm don't we play colorado on friday....not texas? Hopefully the players and coaches don't think like some of the people on this board.

newsflash: none of us are on the team. none of us are coaches. (I may or may not be Mack Brown incognito, shhh). do not worry, i have not lost focused in practice because of UT, oh wait, i do not practice, i am a spectator. why is every so concerned about the fans interest in the UT game? :dunno:dunno:dunno every time someone starts to discuss the UT game there are a dozen, 'don't forget about about CU,' 'remember, we play CU,' 'is not there a game before UT, oh yea, CU.' well i am not a player or a coach and i can be as distracted as i please, i will be just as focused watching the CU game whether or not i spend this week discussing UT, do not worry. UT is big news and it is exciting and it is worth discussing on a board that lately should not be called HuskerBoard.com, but rather HuskerBored.com. Every, feel free to discuss UT, if Bo is so distracted by what we are saying on this board that he can not focus on CU, well then, we are in bigger trouble than just overlooking CU.

Actually...

I know of at least one HB-member that's on the team...

A 2nd generation Pillen?

Although I haven't seen him posting much since the start of the season.

Mostly, It's probably a backlash from some of the members having the "No looking ahead" drilled into us by our own coaches back in the day.

Either way..These current players don't live in a vacuum..Lots of our posters have classes with them and I can't imagine very many players/coaches successfully avoid reading/listening to fans thoughts on upcoming opponents...Hopefully, they can ignore us for the most part, but so much of College Football hinges on momentum and emotion. :dunno

Plus..Some of us are just plain karma sensitive or maybe even superstitious. (And Vicarious)

Luckily, we only lost to CU statistically.

Keys to the NE vs. UT game hmmmmm don't we play colorado on friday....not texas? Hopefully the players and coaches don't think like some of the people on this board.

newsflash: none of us are on the team. none of us are coaches. (I may or may not be Mack Brown incognito, shhh). do not worry, i have not lost focused in practice because of UT, oh wait, i do not practice, i am a spectator. why is every so concerned about the fans interest in the UT game? :dunno:dunno:dunno every time someone starts to discuss the UT game there are a dozen, 'don't forget about about CU,' 'remember, we play CU,' 'is not there a game before UT, oh yea, CU.' well i am not a player or a coach and i can be as distracted as i please, i will be just as focused watching the CU game whether or not i spend this week discussing UT, do not worry. UT is big news and it is exciting and it is worth discussing on a board that lately should not be called HuskerBoard.com, but rather HuskerBored.com. Every, feel free to discuss UT, if Bo is so distracted by what we are saying on this board that he can not focus on CU, well then, we are in bigger trouble than just overlooking CU.

Actually...

I know of at least one HB-member that's on the team...

A 2nd generation Pillen?

Although I haven't seen him posting much since the start of the season.

Mostly, It's probably a backlash from some of the members having the "No looking ahead" drilled into us by our own coaches back in the day.

Either way..These current players don't live in a vacuum..Lots of our posters have classes with them and I can't imagine very many players/coaches successfully avoid reading/listening to fans thoughts on upcoming opponents...Hopefully, they can ignore us for the most part, but so much of College Football hinges on momentum and emotion. :dunno

Plus..Some of us are just plain karma sensitive or maybe even superstitious. (And Vicarious)

Luckily, we only lost to CU statistically.

alright, Husker 37, you did not have to post it twice.

but i could understand why we wanted to discuss UT and thought we should savor the 2 weeks. also, if we can distract the players and coaches (we as posters) they are in more trouble that it does not matter, they have a lot more pressures and media to focus on ignoring than little 'ole Huskerboard.

alright, Husker 37, you did not have to post it twice.

but i could understand why we wanted to discuss UT and thought we should savor the 2 weeks. also, if we can distract the players and coaches (we as posters) they are in more trouble that it does not matter, they have a lot more pressures and media to focus on ignoring than little 'ole Huskerboard.

Is it just me or are any of the rest of you still having problems posting sometimes?

I usually get a message saying something like my connection isn't working, I hit resend and it shows up twice.

If I don't resend it's lost in cyberspace with no gravity belt.

I usderstand your frustration..and I too was anxious to read about how we are going to tear apart tUT.

But to many of us..it's a reflex action...

Sorta like Drew Carey being told by some stranger at the next table in a restaurant that his burger is going to kill him.

"What!? Ptui..Why don't they warn people?"

"Thanks to you kind citizen...I almost had a moment of enjoyment...Ya Safety Nazi".

:box

and there was a lot to discuss about CU, still is, but UT and the Big XII Championship game is so exciting. i remember after the heartbreaking loss to Va. Tech, the only thought that got me through it is that we played really well and we would have, at worse, a puncher's chance against UT. i was really confident in our ability to win the North. the same emotions came back after we beat Mizzou, then i felt for sure we would win the North... and finally, here we are, days away.

Here's what an anonymous Big12 assistant (obviously a Sooner) wrote about Texas:

A QUICK LOOK AT TEXAS

OFFENSE Colt McCoy was off the charts last year, and he kind of has come back to earth. He is turning the ball over more. The issue with their offense is it’s really Colt McCoy and [wide receiver Jordan] Shipley. We were really physical with Shipley and he wasn’t a major factor in our game. When you can force those other receivers to have to be the playmakers and you limit what they do in the run game, you can manage them offensively. Now, that’s easier said than done. That’s what we were able to do. We were physical. We knocked Shipley around and we got after McCoy, too. And we really limited their running game.

And they don’t have a great running game, anyway. The issue they will have in a title game is can they sustain a running game? And can the other receivers hurt you besides Shipley? I think that’s where their weaknesses are.

The running backs are good athletes. A little of it is their scheme. They aren’t a downhill running team. They are a spread, lateral team that tries to hit creases on you. The last couple of years, they haven’t been a great running team. McCoy has gotten them off the hook in tough situations by scrambling. He hasn’t run as much this year. I think he was dinged up early. So that hasn’t been as big a factor. … He doesn’t look like a substantial guy, but he seems to stand up to the hits pretty well.

DEFENSE They pressure you without blitzing. They’ll bring one guy and play a lot of press technique. They tried to play a lot of man against us. We had some schemes on them. We were just one skill kid away from beating them offensively. We just needed to make a play. We were just a play away. You can be physical with them, so it will be interesting to see how they do against a physical outfit.

They will pressure you, and they have the athletes to run with you and play good man defense. They will try to get [sergio] Kindle on the edge and into your quarterback’s face.

We got in some cluster sets and ran a lot of crossing routes and pick plays, and we made some plays. We just couldn’t pop a guy with some of our young receivers. When they get into a championship situation and match up to some similar athletes, someone [on the other team] will have to make a play.

I think they are outstanding in the back end. Their safeties have more speed and range than most anybody. Their corners are as good as there are in our league. Kindle is a guy who was better last year when they had Brian Orakpo. I thought they were tougher schematically to play against last year because they had two pass rushers. They have adequate pass rushers [this season]. Kindle is a little more on his own this year, which limits his effectiveness even though he still is a tremendous talent.

But what makes them go is their secondary and the fact they can press you. Their safeties have such range that when you get people open, they can run you down. [Earl] Thomas is fantastic. I wish he’d [go pro], to be honest with you. Both safeties are talented. They are young, too. You may see something on them schematically, but they recover so quickly.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...s&type=lgns

Texas isn't quite the same team now that they were then though.

Here's what an anonymous Big12 assistant (obviously a Sooner) wrote about Texas:

A QUICK LOOK AT TEXAS

OFFENSE Colt McCoy was off the charts last year, and he kind of has come back to earth. He is turning the ball over more. The issue with their offense is it’s really Colt McCoy and [wide receiver Jordan] Shipley. We were really physical with Shipley and he wasn’t a major factor in our game. When you can force those other receivers to have to be the playmakers and you limit what they do in the run game, you can manage them offensively. Now, that’s easier said than done. That’s what we were able to do. We were physical. We knocked Shipley around and we got after McCoy, too. And we really limited their running game.

And they don’t have a great running game, anyway. The issue they will have in a title game is can they sustain a running game? And can the other receivers hurt you besides Shipley? I think that’s where their weaknesses are.

The running backs are good athletes. A little of it is their scheme. They aren’t a downhill running team. They are a spread, lateral team that tries to hit creases on you. The last couple of years, they haven’t been a great running team. McCoy has gotten them off the hook in tough situations by scrambling. He hasn’t run as much this year. I think he was dinged up early. So that hasn’t been as big a factor. … He doesn’t look like a substantial guy, but he seems to stand up to the hits pretty well.

DEFENSE They pressure you without blitzing. They’ll bring one guy and play a lot of press technique. They tried to play a lot of man against us. We had some schemes on them. We were just one skill kid away from beating them offensively. We just needed to make a play. We were just a play away. You can be physical with them, so it will be interesting to see how they do against a physical outfit.

They will pressure you, and they have the athletes to run with you and play good man defense. They will try to get [sergio] Kindle on the edge and into your quarterback’s face.

We got in some cluster sets and ran a lot of crossing routes and pick plays, and we made some plays. We just couldn’t pop a guy with some of our young receivers. When they get into a championship situation and match up to some similar athletes, someone [on the other team] will have to make a play.

I think they are outstanding in the back end. Their safeties have more speed and range than most anybody. Their corners are as good as there are in our league. Kindle is a guy who was better last year when they had Brian Orakpo. I thought they were tougher schematically to play against last year because they had two pass rushers. They have adequate pass rushers [this season]. Kindle is a little more on his own this year, which limits his effectiveness even though he still is a tremendous talent.

But what makes them go is their secondary and the fact they can press you. Their safeties have such range that when you get people open, they can run you down. [Earl] Thomas is fantastic. I wish he’d [go pro], to be honest with you. Both safeties are talented. They are young, too. You may see something on them schematically, but they recover so quickly.

A QUICK LOOK AT TEXAS

Interesting. Thanks for this.