ANOTHER Uninspiring Win

Washusker

I'm not the only one who thinks so.

“We played sloppy football,” Pelini said of his team’s 28-20 win against Colorado on Friday. “We didn’t play to our standards in what we showed out there for four quarters today.”

What is frustrating here is that this team can't put together a consistent, 60-minute effort.

I got crap for complaining about this team's effort after the K-State win, but this was no different.

Underacheivement? Or a lack of talent? Or poor coaching?

“We played sloppy football,” Pelini said of his team’s 28-20 win against Colorado on Friday. “We didn’t play to our standards in what we showed out there for four quarters today.”

What is frustrating here is that this team can't put together a consistent, 60-minute effort.

I got crap for complaining about this team's effort after the K-State win, but this was no different.

i think it was different than the KState game, although I understand why you would say it was not. with the KSU game, we got a 14 point lead, and then did nothing, and we did not allow them to do anything.

this game, we got a lead, slouched off and let them back in the game, and then got a lead again, slouched off again, and repeat...

i wonder if Bo works the 'd' too hard during the week because since the the OU game, they have lacked intensity and energy, unless they are in the redzone.

BLAH BLAH BLAH, we suck bring back Callahan, remember how you felt in 2007, were you inspired by Husker football. Yea we all no they stunk up the joint, and will probably loose to UT but try to keep everything in perspective, we have no talent at the QB level, a average O-line, young recievers.

Lets see in a couple of years if its talent or poor coaching. Give them a break, our offense has had some major problems this year but they found a way to get 9 regular season wins and a shot at the conference championship. Something we haven't had much of around here in the last decade.

The offense is never going to look "good" this season. There have been real issues for most of the season stemming from loss of experienced players, injuries, and so on. It's not something one can just magically fix mid-season.

That said, both sides of the ball looked pretty flat even for their usual selves. Colorado was really nothing more than a trap game and that probably played a part. Some can talk all they want about coaching the kids up, keeping them from falling for trap games, and so on, but it happens year after year to many teams. It's just a fact of life with the game and to some extent it happened to us this game.

I think the team will play better against Texas.

It would be appreciated if you would stop pointing out the OBVIOUS. I don't think anyone would be blown away by our last 2 wins, but heck..they are WINS. Do you really expect more out of an offense that can hardly hold itself together right now? We are slowly getting our running game back and our passing attack is mediocre. I think we found out a long time ago that our defense is good enough to beat the best, but our offense is NOWHERE NEAR good enough to hang with the best, so lets stop dwelling on what we already know!

I know I know, so uninspired i just wanna go drink. Boy i sure hope we beat Texas by 30, cuz if I have to watch us beat another team like we have the last few weeks, I'm just gonna Hurl

IT'S A WIN, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 of them now, with opportunities for two more. At least this team has an attitude of finding a way and not just givin in a 45-20 Callahan special. We're still light years ahead of '07.

I do see the negatives of it, i do see your point and the problems we have, but it is in no way "UNINSPIRING".

I know I know, so uninspired i just wanna go drink. Boy i sure hope we beat Texas by 30, cuz if I have to watch us beat another team like we have the last few weeks, I'm just gonna Hurl

IT'S A WIN, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 of them now, with opportunities for two more. At least this team has an attitude of finding a way and not just givin in a 45-20 Callahan special. We're still light years ahead of '07.

i would say our offense now is better than Callahan's best defense, hard comparison to make, but i think it is true.

We are indeed far ahead of where we were in 2007. Some seem to forget that Pelini said this would be a long process and we wouldn't get to where we want to be in a short amount of time. I cringed when we had such huge improvement last season because I knew we'd hit a season like this where everything didn't get better from the previous season and some people would start losing their minds.

i do not know why everyone is so down on our offense, the team has gotten the job done for 5 consecutive games. the offense has seemed to have found an identity. the o-line is getting better. lee made some pretty good passes today. and the rex/helu combo is pretty stout.

I don't consider myself to be down on the offense. They're doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. In many ways they've had the deck stacked against them this season. And they are definitely showing improvement from the middle of the season since we changed our style around to something we could more easily execute. But the fact remains they are still pretty inconsistent and they are definitely the weaker half of the team right now. I think what you see as being "down" on the offense is more people feeling frustrated because the offense was pretty good last year combined with the disparity between our defense this year and the offense. People are also looking ahead to Texas and knowing they are going to have to play better than they have been for us to put enough points up on Texas to win.

We, as a fan base, have really gotten into a rut of demanding improvement every single season in all aspects. Sorry to say that just isn't going to happen with any team, including ours.

Edit - I suppose I should say weakest third of the team, since special teams definitely plays a big part in football.

i do not know why everyone is so down on our offense, the team has gotten the job done for 5 consecutive games. the offense has seemed to have found an identity. the o-line is getting better. lee made some pretty good passes today. and the rex/helu combo is pretty stout.

Found an identity? Maybe have ran the ball fairly(nothing eye popping) well the past couple games, but to say it's found an identity is wrong. We are still trying to emerge as a run first/throw second team. Lee has not had very good stats because we have thrown so conservatively. Take away all the defensive/sp teams big plays and try saying we have found an identity on offense...

Not trying to be a downer because I support the direction the offense is going, but just stating it how I see it. We're just not there yet on offense.

I don't consider myself to be down on the offense. They're doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. In many ways they've had the deck stacked against them this season. And they are definitely showing improvement from the middle of the season since we changed our style around to something we could more easily execute. But the fact remains they are still pretty inconsistent and they are definitely the weaker half of the team right now. I think what you see as being "down" on the offense is more people feeling frustrated because the offense was pretty good last year combined with the disparity between our defense this year and the offense. People are also looking ahead to Texas and knowing they are going to have to play better than they have been for us to put enough points up on Texas to win.

We, as a fan base, have really gotten into a rut of demanding improvement every single season in all aspects. Sorry to say that just isn't going to happen with any team, including ours.

Edit - I suppose I should say weakest third of the team, since special teams definitely plays a big part in football.

Ebyl, well said

Finding an identity means hangin your hat on somethin you know can work. Iowa St. game and previous, this team had no idea what it wanted to do, now they know it's power football and managing the game and getting a couple of scores and playin field position so our D can play downhill.

I just wanna add I think Barney Cotton is doin a decent job right now, these offensive lineman are not built for this run-oriented offense, nor were they recruited for it, but they are doin a trememdous job in the transformation and simply getting it done right now.

Found an identity? Maybe have ran the ball fairly(nothing eye popping) well the past couple games, but to say it's found an identity is wrong. We are still trying to emerge as a run first/throw second team. Lee has not had very good stats because we have thrown so conservatively. Take away all the defensive/sp teams big plays and try saying we have found an identity on offense...

Not trying to be a downer because I support the direction the offense is going, but just stating it how I see it. We're just not there yet on offense.

i think we differ on what I meant on 'found our identity.' we have found something that can work with our personnel, and it is a team game, so our offense necessarily complements our defense, and vice-versa. i'm not saying we are where we need to be, i was just saying we know where we should go, which is a big positive after the low point of our season with the two game losing streak.