Announcers

NoDoubt

They wear pads and helmets for a reason. How many DB's get lit up by blindside blocks by receivers? The defenseless reciever penalty pisses me off, they have pads and a helmet, as a DB you often don't know if he caught the ball or not, it's the wussification of football.

Hehe I loved the 90s when that's what our receivers were for ;)

Ed Cunningham was definitely out of line saying he should be ejected.

But back to the root of the issue...Asante the Assassin!

Please name one physical safety in the NFL that has not received his share of personal foul penalties. There isn't one that comes to mind...

People forget that these guys are typically the most athletic, fastest, physically gifted players on the field and there are times where their sheer speed and momentum cause them to make what look like bone-headed plays.

I like the fact that Asante is always in there mixing up because opposing teams DO NOT like it...AT ALL...

Trust me, the UT WR's will see some of his hits on film and they know he will be there...

Please don't take this as condoning all of his actions this year, but it is a nice change from recent history to see an NFL caliber safety making plays for the Huskers....

This Saturday, when the Husker D is containing the run, sacking McCoy and has Texas on the ropes with a 4th quarter 3rd and 12 and a scrambling McCoy throws the ball out of bounds and Asante gives his man a good whack anyway and Texas a first down it didn't earn, you may learn the difference between aggressive play and smart football.

btw....the NFL is full of aggressive DBs who don't continually draw unecssary roughness penalties. Asante will learn.

This Saturday, when the Husker D is containing the run, sacking McCoy and has Texas on the ropes with a 4th quarter 3rd and 12 and a scrambling McCoy throws the ball out of bounds and Asante gives his man a good whack anyway and Texas a first down it didn't earn, you may learn the difference between aggressive play and smart football.

btw....the NFL is full of aggressive DBs who don't continually draw unecssary roughness penalties. Asante will learn.

So now Asante "continually draws unnecessary roughness penalties"??? WOW! I can recall at least 4 or 5 off the top of my head and only 2 of them were stupid plays...

Also, I wasn't referring to all DBs, just safeties...Ed Reed, Polamula, Sharper, Bob Sanders, all those physical, run support type guys draw their fair share of flags...

btw...I hope you're right about us containing the run, sacking McCoy and having Texas on the ropes...

Somebody call the Waaambulance, this isn't some game of pattycake.....it's football. :box

I like it when our DB's are earholing receivers and knocking people's heads off. It's a territorial thing.

The next time that receiver goes up high or runs a crossing route, I want him to hear those footsteps, or have it in the back of his mind he's going to pay for that reception with a hard hit. Those receivers and running backs get alligator arms really quick if they get blasted once or twice.

This is an entertaining thread, some of you should go back and read the CU game thread from last year when our DB laid out your receiver right before the half and the comments about the CU DB, we all have varying views on dirty play especially when it comes to these kids wearing the colors we love.

Okay so i didn't read the whole thread, kinda in a hurry to get out and been busy lately... but here's my feeling on the whole thing.. The guy that called out Asante is a pure tool. Always has been. The announcers in general were slanted towards CU for a majority of the game..there were times where they were like, oh i didn't see nething on NU there, so it wasn't completely, but it was pretty much like a CU crew doing the game...

HOWEVER. Calling him out for the OU hit was a load of sh#t.

The guy made a GREAT hit to make sure he didn't come down with the ball in a close, hard nosed defensive game... He celebrated the hit.. ANYTIME in football when someone makes a great hit, they celebrate it.. ANYTIME! Asante didn't know the guy was hurt when he hit him, how the hell was he supposed to know?

Let's use baseball for an example.. You hit a homerun in a tie ball game, ball barely clears the wall and the right fielder just went balls out to try n make the play and hit the wall and is now down in right field.. guess what? The guy is still running around the bases pumped up and his team there to greet him at home plate. It was a great play. Just like Asante's..

I have a HUGE problem with this. Ed Cunningham and Ron Franklin have no business calling Nebraska football games. All they do is bad-mouth Nebraska and the players/plays. Franklin especially. I didn't realize it until it was pointed out on P'Zone but clearly the man only says negative things. Ed Cunningham makes it a point to prognosticate on what plays will/should be run next but he is never right. He says something about how a flag should have been thrown or a play made a certain way, then backpedals and slays the exact opposite 15 seconds later.

Ron Franklin should go back to doing fishing and hunting shows, where he was equally inept. In this particular case, Asante was trying to let up. I don't think it even should have been flagged. The flag was thrown after it looked like the contact was intentional....but when they showed the replay and slowed it down it was clear to me that Asante noticed that the ball was not catchable and trying to avoid contact.

lol, regardless of whether or not the hit was clean on the OU guy (which it was), and regardless of whether or Asante knew he was hurt, you don't stand there and celebrate over him. There really should be no debate about either point there, and there's something wrong if there is. You want to celebrate a hit like that? Sure thing...do it walking away, not looking down at the guy. Because if you do it like Asante did, it looks like taunting even if that's not what you intended.

That was just a bad move on his part regardless of whether he was taunting or not.