Texas shouldn't have gotten a 'second' chance

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Article from Fox Sports is below. Lots of people coming up to me because they know I am a Husker fan in So. CA asking for my reaction to the game. I would say about 80% of the people I talk to think we won and got jobbed. Yes, people want to talk about our horrible plays kicking the ball out of bounds and the horse collar (yes, I agree those were horrible plays and I was screaming when we did them). At that time I thought we were giving the game away. But then you know what? Texas gave the game back by horrible clock management and lost the game...it was over...clock at 0:00. Everyone expected Texas to win because they were within FG...but you know what they are human and made a bad play just like we had done earlier in the drive. No one wants to talk about that now...it was the biggest meltdown in clock management I have ever seen! But we all know what happened...refs bailed them out. I really have never had anything against Texas (honestly) and have never much liked Alabama...but if Alabama and Texas goes down, I hope Alabama completely destroys them.

Amen to this article.

Link:

The voters should do what the Big 12 game officials didn't have the guts to do.

That is, put Texas Christian (or Cincinnati, for that matter) into the BCS national championship game.

It's too bad it won't happen. The referees have an excuse: They work for the Big 12 Conference, which desperately needed Texas to avoid an upset by Nebraska.

The voters have no excuse. They still get to choose among undefeated teams to put in the national championship game against Alabama. But chances are, they will choose Texas.

Four times over the years, the Big 12 has screwed itself out of the national title game with a huge upset in the conference championship game. They weren't going to allow that to happen again, no matter how dominant Ndamukong Suh was for Nebraska.

Look, I don't hate the Longhorns. And I don't root for TCU, or Cincinnati ... or Nebraska. I don't hate the BCS, and I don't necessarily even crave a playoff tournament.

But that ending of the Big 12 championship game was just wrong.

Here's exactly what happened: There were 24 incomplete passes in the Texas-Nebraska game. On every one of them — every single one (I know, I went back and checked in slow motion) — the game clock ticked off that second, and sometimes another. That's how it always works in this and every other game: There's a bit of a human element (the eye sending the message to the brain, the brain relaying it to the finger on the clock button, the electronic impulses prompting the clock to stop).

And so, when Colt McCoy inexplicably decided to run a play with six seconds remaining instead of calling timeout or, well, showing any sense of urgency, he rolled out and threw the ball away, way out of bounds, as the clock ticked down to 0:00.

Nebraska rushed the field, Bo Pellini's team seemingly in possession of a sensational 12-10 triumph.

But since Texas coach Mack Brown wanted a second placed back on the clock, and because the Big 12 wanted to have a second placed back on the clock, and because all of the six major BCS conferences HAD TO HAVE a second placed back on the clock, and because the referees figured they might never have a chance to work for the league ever again if they do this wrong ... that's how it went.

So, unlike every other similar play in the game, the officials overruled the clock and put 0:01 back up on the scoreboard, and Texas ran the field goal team out there and Hunter Lawrence kicked it through.

So, since the refs felt the need to overrule the clock, the voters can always overrule the game officials. It ain't right: Texas has no business being in the title game.

The BCS ( Bowl Crap System ) did not want TCU in the national championship game. That's why the refs called that pass interference call on the Huskers that was NOT pass interference. That was enough penalty yardage to give the Longhorns the field goal for the win. So don't blame it on Texas or Mack Brown or anything else. The game was rigged by the BCS because of BIG MONEY. Maybe they should call the BCS for what it really is all about. BOWL CASH SYSTEM... :horns2:horns2:horns2

C'mon Huskers, you're better than this. I'm not saying that to be demeaning, but it's true. Huskers are portrayed as the classiest fans in college football, and I don't want to see this thread be the beginning of a change in that. Yes, I'm a Texas fan and may have my biases, but I'm a Husker fan second. I apologize if this post seems 'aimed' against Huskers, but I don't understand why this is even a controversial play.

First, Article 6 Rule 21:3 states that:

"the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable"

--Huskerextra.com

Second, yes, the ball hit the ball out of bounds with a second on the clock. We all understand this. However, many of you above are in disbelief because the whistle blew after the clock hit 0. I pulled this moment up on DVR, and I can assure you that the whistle blew before 0. More proof?

@ 10 seconds

This disproves any theory that we must go by the whistle.

For those of you who claimed to be at the game and are SURE you got jobbed because you heard the whistle after the ball hit the ground, here's a little physics lesson. The speed of sound is irrelevant compared to the speed of light. People in the upper decks would surely hear the whistle a good 2-3 seconds after the ball hit the ground, untampered. Add that there were 80K+ fans screaming to make the situation more ambiguous, and there is no case. I doubt fans from the bottom decks heard the whistle before the ball hit the ground.

Also keep in mind that the audio-feedback that ESPN uses is from the field in most big games. This is why there is very small lag from the officiator's call and his mouth moving, and why the loud 'crunches' you hear on big hits appear simultaneously with the hit itself.

I understand how everyone is riled up about it, as naturally most emotions would lead to, but I don't see how a case is coming out of this. I remember an instances VERY similar to this 1994 with Nebraska v FSU in the NCG where the odds favored the Huskers. I won't delve into detail at your expense, but the true NU fans should know what I'm talking about. It was almost identical to the situation tonight, only the rolls have been reversed and the kickers were different people.

Please don't jump on this conspiracy bandwagon that the rest of the nation is...

C'mon Huskers, you're better than this. I'm not saying that to be demeaning, but it's true. Huskers are portrayed as the classiest fans in college football, and I don't want to see this thread be the beginning of a change in that. Yes, I'm a Texas fan and may have my biases, but I'm a Husker fan second. I apologize if this post seems 'aimed' against Huskers, but I don't understand why this is even a controversial play.

First, Article 6 Rule 21:3 states that:

"the replay official may correct egregious errors, including those involving the game clock, whether or not a play is reviewable"

--Huskerextra.com

Second, yes, the ball hit the ball out of bounds with a second on the clock. We all understand this. However, many of you above are in disbelief because the whistle blew after the clock hit 0. I pulled this moment up on DVR, and I can assure you that the whistle blew before 0. More proof?

@ 10 seconds

This disproves any theory that we must go by the whistle.

For those of you who claimed to be at the game and are SURE you got jobbed because you heard the whistle after the ball hit the ground, here's a little physics lesson. The speed of sound is irrelevant compared to the speed of light. People in the upper decks would surely hear the whistle a good 2-3 seconds after the ball hit the ground, untampered. Add that there were 80K+ fans screaming to make the situation more ambiguous, and there is no case. I doubt fans from the bottom decks heard the whistle before the ball hit the ground.

Also keep in mind that the audio-feedback that ESPN uses is from the field in most big games. This is why there is very small lag from the officiator's call and his mouth moving, and why the loud 'crunches' you hear on big hits appear simultaneously with the hit itself.

I understand how everyone is riled up about it, as naturally most emotions would lead to, but I don't see how a case is coming out of this. I remember an instances VERY similar to this 1994 with Nebraska v FSU in the NCG where the odds favored the Huskers. I won't delve into detail at your expense, but the true NU fans should know what I'm talking about. It was almost identical to the situation tonight, only the rolls have been reversed and the kickers were different people.

Please don't jump on this conspiracy bandwagon that the rest of the nation is...

Look Pancake Man, like the name by the way, I have said some pretty bad things in frustration. I apologize and most of the things I haven't really meant. I did, however, have some problems because I had some friends that were at the game and had a somewhat bad experience with Texas fans. That is no excuse and that is probably one case and most Texas fans I have met aren't like that.

So on behalf of all the Husker fans I apologize Pancake...we have gone through so many of these types of losses the past few years it is getting difficult for us to get past these. So I retract all of my statements and wish Texas the best of luck in the NCG. I hope you guys have a good game against them, but I will also say when we face next year I think our boys will remember this game.

Edit- Oh and yeah the conspiracy needs to stop...we had our chances to put the game away and our offense couldn't do it. I have to give credit to Texas' Defense cause they looked good out there too. It was a helluva football game. I think we might have a bit of a rivalry going with good ol' Texas now. Make us proud in the NCG Texas.

TX.Pancake.Man's Post

Look Pancake Man, like the name by the way, I have said some pretty bad things in frustration. I apologize and most of the things I haven't really meant. I did, however, have some problems because I had some friends that were at the game and had a somewhat bad experience with Texas fans. That is no excuse and that is probably one case and most Texas fans I have met aren't like that.

So on behalf of all the Husker fans I apologize Pancake...we have gone through so many of these types of losses the past few years it is getting difficult for us to get past these. So I retract all of my statements and wish Texas the best of luck in the NCG. I hope you guys have a good game against them, but I will also say when we face next year I think our boys will remember this game.

It takes a true man to apologize like that GBR, and I applaud you for it.

Unfortunately, I'm actually not surprised if your friends met with some bad blood down here. In my experience, Texas has a large class fan-base, but an equally large group of kids that just assume that they should be given respect because they are wearing an orange T. To me, it feels these last few years have been too emotional for Texas and the standards have been raised too high that the fans expect big wins every time. Frankly, we've become greedy with the attention and when the other team gets more praise, we feel left out, and our stingy fans try to find someone to take their anger out on. Again, I can't speak for every Texas fan, but I think the population of these 'pampered' Texas fans is on the rise as the expectations climb.

Hell, half of our fans are gone by half-time in most teams we play at home. Gone are the times when every horn fan is yelling their minds out from the start to the finish, no matter the opponent, only to congratulate the other fans at the end of the game with a few drinks. I've envied the Husker fan-base and always wished Texas can build one up as loyal.

But this year behind us, I'm looking forward to a GAME next year. Good luck to both teams, and the best of luck to Suh in his professional career. The kid is a beast, and I thought he was deserving of the Heisman since mid-season. I'm glad he was able to capitalize on the big screen the game before the ballots go in.

Here's to a reunion in 10/16, and hopefully another suspenseful game that seems to have become the standard between Texas and Nebraska football.