Some positive aspects regarding Suh NOT winning the Hypesman

As much as I hoped Suh would pull the upset and walk away with the Hypesman along with his other many awards and achievements, in retrospect I can think of a few good reasons why it might be best for Suh personally that he did NOT win.

1) No Hypesman jinx and heightened media distractions to worry about in the upcoming Holiday Bowl, which could help result in a loss for the team as a whole. I believe him when he says that his primary goal is for the TEAM to WIN and he doesn't care about personal recognition.

2) No Hypesman jinx to contend with at the next level in the NFL, even though expectations will still continue to be very high for him.

3) Adding the Hypesman to his long list of awards and achievements would have elevated him to the status of super celebrity (at least in the sports world) and all the problems associated with super stardom (can't trust who you're friends are, paparazzi following you everywhere, the potential that it goes to his head and he turns from nice guy to screwed up egomanic, etc. etc.). He's going to contend with all the usual celebrity type issues to some degree as it is, but it would have been magnified several fold if he won the HT.

It's not like winning the Hypesman would have changed his draft stock or potential paycheck that much. The guy is already projected as a Top 5 draft pick (likely 1st) who is still destined to sign a HUGE multi-million dollar contract. How much MORE money could anyone afford to reward him for adding the HT to his resume? The NFL scouts knew well before the HT ceremony what extraordinary resources he brings to the table, so I say his financial gains would have been minimal.

I just hope he is able to stay grounded and humble and let his pads continue to do the smack talking on the playing fields of the NFL and all the way into the Hall of Fame.

Suh Big Red!

:corndance

Even if he had won the Heisman, I honestly don't think you would have seen adverse side-effects as far as the media attention would be concerned. Even from the start of the year, Suh had a lot of high expectations put on his shoulders. People were telling him left and right you'll have to control this defense and that he may end being the #1 NFL draft pick in April. I think, had he won the Heisman, he would have been just fine imho.

He has and will continue to get plenty of publicity. Just about 2 weeks ago most of the country didn't even know who he was or how to pronounce his name. It all does wonders for his draft status and our recruiting. There are plenty of positives with him just getting invited to the ceremony and can you imagine how much attention he and the program are going to get leading into the draft.

He has and will continue to get plenty of publicity. Just about 2 weeks ago most of the country didn't even know who he was or how to pronounce his name. It all does wonders for his draft status and our recruiting. There are plenty of positives with him just getting invited to the ceremony and can you imagine how much attention he and the program are going to get leading into the draft.

I agree completely, but my topic is focused on him PERSONALLY, not what it will obviously do for U of N.

The fact that he nearly sky rocketed from relative unknown to superstar status overnight is of some concern, as some people just can't cope with all the sudden overwhelming attention and ass kissing from EVERYONE around you. That level of attention poured on some people is not a positive thing and leads to many, many distractions and temptations (evidenced most recently by the previously rock-solid and squeaky clean Tiger Woods and his fall from grace).