What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

I agree with all except the part about NU living in an easy North conference. For years, we were in an easy Big 8(with the exception of OU) and I do not think it was good. for years we ate cake then got to the game against OU or a decent bowl and got beat. I like(no love) great competition in the North. It will make us that much better, get us a lot more TV time and better access to recruiting.

I like the part about playing the Big 12 BBall championship in KC. A bit self serving, but good enough!

Yes kept getting beat by the number 1, 2 and sometimes 3rd ranked team those years was a disgrace. :sarcasm:rolleyes:

The problem was when we didn't even look like we belonged on the same field with Miami or Florida State (or even Georgia Tech) in the late 80s/early 90s bowl games. Suddenly the power and option football we'd been ramming down the throats of the 7 dwarfs was meaningless when those teams would stack the line and we had no passer to keep them honest.

I agree that we looked bad in those bowl games, but we weren't used to the speed of those defenses. I think everyone loaded the box when we played them but we had a few match ups that we could usually exploit. Our D was the plodding 5-2 also, and that put us in the position to where we had to play from behind which was never our strong suit. Of course, our timing was always hosed because of the long layoff between the regular season and the bowl.

TO and Charlie figured it out though and we went on the run that most people agree was the best in history.

I agree with those who say there will be a few super conferences in a few years and I think the SEC will be the first. They'll grab teams like Miami, FSU, GaTech and someone else just to get the televisons....maybe even North Carolina. That would be a murderous conference though, so maybe they'd add some "weaker" teams than FSU/Miami....even though they are down right now.

The ACC/Big East will eventually align and try to pull in whatever they are forced to, IMO.

So which will be the super conference we are in? Big 12+ or Big11+, that's what it comes down to.

I don't think the Big 12 has the stroke to raid the Big 11 for any teams worth going after unless the Big 12 really goes after an upgrade across the board on TV, facilities, etc. Even then, who would you get? Iowa, Minnesota?

So that leaves the Utahs, BYUs, TCUs and Boise States of the world. No way is Arkansas leaving the SEC.

Either way, we're looking at extending travel whether the Big 12 expands or we leave the conference. One of those things will happen though. There's way too much rumbling for things not to get crazy soon. The PAC10 could grab those Utah schools pretty quickly as they are rattling their sabers now.

BYU would be tough due to the whole not playing on Sundays thing, I guess. Boise State makes too much sense for the PAC10.

Either way, expansion will probably have to include 1-2 more schools from Texas. Who else do you get? CSU? Wyoming? Utah State?

If you bring in the "weaker" schools, does that make it a super conference?

Super conferences will probably end the idea of any team going undefeated.