Scholarships for University Employees

Don't kids whose parents are working for the school get a free ride anyway??

I believe that's the case, but with Cotton, it's not like money is an issue. By all standards in Nebraska Barney is pimp daddy rich. I understand recruiting in-state potential, but when you have the case where a guy could walk on with no real financial difficulty (and who WOULD walk on, more importantly) in an already small class, I don't think the staff made the right call here.

Yes, though each school has their own policy regarding how long an employee must work at the school in order to be vested enough to receive tuition remission for family members. In my experience in working at a few universities, I've seen it where a school allows 100% tuition remission immediately upon hire, another where you are gradually vested (e.g., 25% tuition remission after 2 years, 50% after 3 years, 100% after 5 years) and one where you are only fully vested after 8 years working at the school. I don't know UNL's policy. Good question though.

But as someone else has already suggested somewhere on here, NU should just give Barney an extra raise for the amount of tuition, above the raise all of the assistants are set to receive. That way you still honor the Cottons while saving a scholarship. It's not rocket science.

Another thing––they could have had him walk on and earn a scholarship later on down the road. Money isn't the issue here. Maybe in a few years when we have normal-to-large recruiting class space, he could have been tacked on. The real issue this season in the scholly crunch we're under. You assume that a majority of your kids are never going to see the field in a significant way. With an especially small class, then, you have to be even more diligent.

No. Not at NU, and it would violate NCAA rules to boot. See here:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=519127

and here:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=548866

Anyway Cotton looks like he'll grow into an OT anyway.

They get a half-ride per parent

Eligibility for Dependent Scholarship Program

All regular full-time (1.00 F.T.E.) employees of the University who meet the employment eligibility requirements of the Employee Scholarship Program may transfer up to a total of fifteen (15) credit hours per year (August through July) to their spouse or to any dependent child at tuition equal to the University's resident tuition charge per semester credit hour at the campus of attendance.

That is 5 normal classes (or 4 with some Lab classes) and does not cover room/board, books and fees. In general if both parents work for the university you can expect to pay around 1,000 in fees each year you go to school. Trust me on this, my father is an administrator for the university.

No. Not at NU, and it would violate NCAA rules to boot. See here:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=519127

and here:

http://www.huskerboard.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=548866

Anyway Cotton looks like he'll grow into an OT anyway.

They get a half-ride per parent

All regular full-time (1.00 F.T.E.) employees of the University who meet the employment eligibility requirements of the Employee Scholarship Program may transfer up to a total of fifteen (15) credit hours per year (August through July) to their spouse or to any dependent child at tuition equal to the University's resident tuition charge per semester credit hour at the campus of attendance.

That is 5 normal classes (or 4 with some Lab classes) and does not cover room/board, books and fees. In general if both parents work for the university you can expect to pay around 1,000 in fees each year you go to school. Trust me on this, my father is an administrator for the university.

As noted above, however, you have to consider NCAA regulations on this matter as well, not just the university's policy.

As noted above, however, you have to consider NCAA regulations on this matter as well, not just the university's policy.

As pointed out, NU only gives you 15 credit hours per year which does not include any fees, books, board, etc. which can be given to a spouse or dependent. However, under NCAA rules if the coach has not been with the school for 5 years, that counts as institutional financial aid and "counts" toward the 85 limit. He would also apparently not get all of the extensive benefits (including training table meals) you are allowed as a full scholarship student athlete. But on the plus side: "An institution may provide fruit, nuts and bagels to a student-athlete at any time."

(FYI I plan to move all of this OT discussion to another thread.)