Pitt update

Link

With one full week complete in training camp and the first intrasquad scrimmage evaluated, Pittsburgh's depth chart has begun to take shape.

The starting units have maintained their standing, for the most part, since spring drills. But the influx of some freshmen and several injuries have given other players the chance to get more playing time.

First-year Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt was especially effusive in praising the Panthers' linebacking corps. He said J.J. Horne and Clint Session are starters and the team is fortunate to have H.B. Blades, Brian Bennett and Derron Thomas.

"We've got a really outstanding group of linebackers," Wannstedt said. "So, we're going to rotate those guys around a bit more. Blades will be the only one that doesn't really move, but we're going to alternate some guys. We have to try to get them all on the field as much as possible."

Blades moved in the spring to middle linebacker from the right outside spot, while Thomas shifted to the outside. Bennett, who lost his starting job to Malcolm Postell last fall, regained it and has been playing with the first group at weak-side linebacker on the left side.

Horne has been running a close second to Bennett, while Session -- a starter in the middle as a sophomore last season -- has moved outside and ended up playing behind Thomas. But his tackling has improved, and he has gotten more playing time as a result.

"I liked playing in the middle, but I don't mind being outside," Session said. "As long as I'm on the field, nothing else matters. So, I just want to do whatever I can to help the team. That's why I worked hard on my technique, and I think I got a lot better in the spring. And I'm a lot stronger now, too."

The Panthers also are fairly deep in the secondary, but the depth chart is filled with underclassmen at many other positions. That's why Wannstedt and his staff have decided to shuffle the deck a little bit in hopes of finding the best combinations.

The quarterback spot isn't likely to change too much, unless starter Tyler Palko is injured, since freshmen Bill Stull and Shane Murray are learning on the fly and competing for the backup position.

Stull and Murray have both done a good job and neither has pulled in front of the competition, Wannstedt said.

"Being thrown into that situation is not easy, particularly when you don't expect it. You sign with a team as a freshman and expect to come in and have that buffer year. Then all of a sudden a month or a couple weeks before training camp, we say that one of you guys has to be ready to play against Notre Dame if something happens. I think they've handled it well," Wannstedt said.

Wannstedt continued to be impressed by the running backs. Freshman Rashad Jennings, who enrolled in January and played spring ball, will get more time with the first team. And freshman LaRod Stephens-Howling will get more repetitions as well, Wannstedt said.

Notes: The Panthers will practice twice Wednesday, including the first one under the lights from 7 to 9 p.m. at the UPMC Sports Complex, and won't scrimmage again until Friday afternoon.

greg lee isnt as good as si and every other magazine says that he is... last year he dropped alot of passes and with wannesdadt in there now he will make a statement by running the ball alot more than walt harris did i think. last year harris would call plays to lee on every single play on a drive down the field and if teams didnt adjust they scored in about 5 plays and 2 minutes. wannesdadt brought in the ravens o-coordinator... the ravens' whose offense did not do anything worth b eing proud of for the past few seasons besides jamal lewis. there is no jamal lewis on pitts team... plus its a whole new playbook