Who gets the redshirt in 2010?

ESPY

Now that we have an official 2010 recruiting class, I figured we could move this discussion away from the Recruiting page. Of today's signees, who do you think will redshirt in the fall? I know it's way too early to tell, but isn't that what makes predictions so fun?

My first pick is Carnes, especially if Spano stays healthy. I think it's a given that Lee & Green are in the driver's seat with Spano & Washington as backups. We should have no need for Carnes to waste a redshirt like Green did last year.

Another prediction is one of our many DEs - Donovan Vestel. We are stacked on the Dline, and I think we'll want to redshirt at least one of the incoming signees, if not 2 or 3.

I think Carnes can make a run at the #2 job. If he does, hope he doesn't redshirt and Green does.

That way Green gets a nice year under his belt, and Carnes gets a year of experience - both guys will be better equipped to make a run at the starting job in '11.

Of course, if Spano takes the #2 job that would be interesting - do you play Carnes as well to give him experience?

Carnes getting experience also separates him from Turner, especially if Turner redshirts. Which is something made more palatable by Carnes having experience.

Now that we have an official 2010 recruiting class, I figured we could move this discussion away from the Recruiting page. Of today's signees, who do you think will redshirt in the fall? I know it's way too early to tell, but isn't that what makes predictions so fun?

My first pick is Carnes, especially if Spano stays healthy. I think it's a given that Lee & Green are in the driver's seat with Spano & Washington as backups. We should have no need for Carnes to waste a redshirt like Green did last year.

Another prediction is one of our many DEs - Donovan Vestel. We are stacked on the Dline, and I think we'll want to redshirt at least one of the incoming signees, if not 2 or 3.

I hope that we can RS most of them especially the DL. I dont see anyway Carnes sees the field as well as the DL positions. We are starting to build depth and being able to RS alot of this class will only help to continue that.

The only two player I could see possibly getting some PT would be Cooper and Heard. If we have injury problems at RB I could see Heard throwing his hat in the ring ala Burkhead. I could also see Cooper with his measurables getting some PT.

I'm also of the thought that Heard & Cooper will see PT in 2010, but I think we'll see more than just those two, in spite of all the guys coming off RS next season. Obviously David and Yoshi will make an impact, but I also think Rodriguez and Bell stand a good shot.

I'm thinking the question is who has a good chance of not redshirting --- that would be Yoshi, maybe Rome or Guy. After that I'd guess that everyone else has a greater chance of redshirting than not.

• Fire 1

I'm thinking the question is who has a good chance of not redshirting --- that would be Yoshi, maybe Rome or Guy. After that I'd guess that everyone else has a greater chance of redshirting than not.

So you don't think David will get PT? I find that highly unlikely since he's JUCO & we have a big need with such an inexperienced LB crew. Time will tell, but I see him and Martin making the biggest impact.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper gets a redshirt since we're already so stacked in the secondary. Either way, should be fun to watch those guys vs any QB.

So you don't think David will get PT? I find that highly unlikely since he's JUCO & we have a big need with such an inexperienced LB crew. Time will tell, but I see him and Martin making the biggest impact.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cooper gets a redshirt since we're already so stacked in the secondary. Either way, should be fun to watch those guys vs any QB.

I think its obvious that the JUCO's will not be redshirted.

When was the last time we redshirted every recruit? I can't remember if that's ever happened, so if you can prove there's been an entire class that's redshirted, I won't call that completely unlikely. (although, I agree that would be best for all incoming players.)

I think its obvious that the JUCO's will not be redshirted.

Maybe not as obvious as you think. I believe several are 3 to play 2 guys.

Lavonte David - I would've liked to see him enroll for Spring Ball, as he has a great opportunity to make a big contribution, similar to the contribution Dejon Gomes had this past season. I'm looking forward to seeing the athleticism that David and Eric Martin will bring to the LB position

Jermarcus "Yoshi" Hardrick - I fully expect him to start at left tackle, I've had enough of Mike Smith.

Braylon Heard - I'd like to see Tray Robinson work his way into the "Castille" type power back, but if he doesn't, that could open up an opportunity for Braylon Heard to contribute.

Brion Carnes - I'd like to see him redshirt, along with Cody Green. Cody really needs a year of development before he can contribute.

Corey Cooper - We need to find another safety alongside PJ Smith, and maybe it's Eric Hagg if he makes the move. Corey Cooper should at least be playing special teams in 2010.

Chase Harper - I just don't see how he plays in front of Ben Cotton and Kyler Reed for the #2 and #3 role. I'd really like to see Kyler Reed have a bigger role in the offense with his athleticism.

Andrew Rodriguez - With all the hype surrounding the 2009 class of OL, I'd like to see him redshirt and develop.

Chase Rome - Crick, Baker, Thad Randle, and who else? Rome could contribute to provide depth on the interior of the defensive line.

Kenny Bell - We need more speed and athleticism at the skill positions, don't think he's ready to contribute in 2010.

Quincy Enunwa - If Curenski Gilleyen continues to struggle, it wouldn't surprise me to see him work his way into the WR rotation with Niles, Kinnie, Cooper, and possibly Antoinio Bell.

Jay Guy - Could provide depth along with Chase Rome in the interior of the defensive line.

The rest of the 2010 class should redshirt and develop.

Can't wait to see what type of class BO can put together for 2011. Jamal Turner's films remind me of Tyrod Taylor.

• Fire 2

When was the last time we redshirted every recruit? I can't remember if that's ever happened, so if you can prove there's been an entire class that's redshirted, I won't call that completely unlikely. (although, I agree that would be best for all incoming players.)

Wake did this one year actually under Grobe, in the early Grobe years, and though they took their lumps that year it established a good foundation moving forward.

JUCOs redshirt depending on the situation. Ricky Henry for example, because he needed to. Zac Lee, because he was a QB and could, and because there were guys in front of him, and because he was injured. I was actually kind of surprised Kinnie and Gomes weren't redshirts (I guess Kinnie was 3-3?), but Gomes proved that he was just a baller.

I can't see Hardrick or David redshirting. We need OL help and Hardrick is supposed to be a beast. Likewise at LB. TE Harper, if he can, could benefit from a redshirt year, just to get a little separation from the current logjam (is Dreu Young still going to be around?). Am I missing anybody here?

My thinking is.

Offense - Brion Carnes, Quincy Enunwa, Mike Moudy, Braylon Heard, Jake Cotton, Tyler Evans, Bronson Marsh, Andrew Rodriguez.

Defense - Ciante Evans, Joshua Mitchell, Harvey Jackson, Lavonte David, Walker Ashburn, Tobi Okuyemi, Donovan Vestal, Jay Guy, Corey Cooper.

It was really hard to figure if A. Rod would redshirt this year, my feeling is 50/50. It really depends on how much progress the O-line makes during the off-season. I would put Heard in the mix as well, but there is too much talent and experience over heard in the RB stock for him not to redshirt, i think he is going to got the way Dontrayevous Robinson did, he will get redshirted but if injuries plague us like last year, i think they will remove it to take a look at him. I don't expect Kenny Bell to make an impact as a reciever but maybe special teams, if not redshirt for him. I think Corey Cooper will redshirt unless out current safety roster is that bad.