So my father-in-law calls this morning with the following symptoms for his Compaw notebook...

Keyboard will not type

Can't even get ctrl+alt+del to work

He ran system restore a couple times without any success

I ran him through this....

Checking keyboard properties, 'keyboard working properly', no warnings or anything

We uninstalled the keyboard driver(in hopes the driver would reinstall inself upon restart), then restarted. Drivers reinstalled but no luck with the keyboard

I had him create a different user account and then logged into it, keyboard works normally

I'm assuming there is not a mechanical issue or even a virus that is preventing it from working on his account(administrator).

Any help is appreciated....

Couple of things. First, it shouldn't be an issue involving the control panel and the keyboard. There is some sort of connection issue involving communication with your keyboard.

A) Try downloading the drivers again, making sure that you are downloading the drivers for the correct brand of laptop. If this doesn't work, move on to B.

B ) When you say you did a "system restore", did you completely restore the system? As in, completely reboot his entire operating system to the point of where it's pretty much a new computer? It would have gotten rid of all of his programs, any driver updates, etc. Usually, when you do a complete system restore, there is a disc (that came with the computer) that you must use. If you did this, move on to part C. If not, do the COMPLETE system restore which completely resets everything on his computer back to vanilla.

C) Did you run both a virus and spyware scan? And did you do complete system scans or just the 'quick' scans? If your answer is no to one or both of these questions, then do those. If your answer is yes to both of these, move on to D.

D) You say that creating a new Account User fixes the issue. So, create a new user and make them an admin of the computer. Then, delete the faulty User Account or just don't access it anymore. If this is not an option, move on to E.

E) Take the computer to a computer shop (maybe Best Buy's Geek Squad) and see if they will do their own system restore if none of the above options work. They will more than likely find the issue and get it fixed. If they can't find the issue, the system restore should work. If this does not work, move on to part F.

F) Get a new computer. Hopefully the one he has is under warranty. There must be some connection issue between the motherboard, processing unit, and the keyboard. If none of the above options work then the computer is just faulty.

I like option D because it seems like it would take the least hassle.

• Fire 1

Couple of things. First, it shouldn't be an issue involving the control panel and the keyboard. There is some sort of connection issue involving communication with your keyboard.

A) Try downloading the drivers again, making sure that you are downloading the drivers for the correct brand of laptop. If this doesn't work, move on to B.

B ) When you say you did a "system restore", did you completely restore the system? As in, completely reboot his entire operating system to the point of where it's pretty much a new computer? It would have gotten rid of all of his programs, any driver updates, etc. Usually, when you do a complete system restore, there is a disc (that came with the computer) that you must use. If you did this, move on to part C. If not, do the COMPLETE system restore which completely resets everything on his computer back to vanilla.

C) Did you run both a virus and spyware scan? And did you do complete system scans or just the 'quick' scans? If your answer is no to one or both of these questions, then do those. If your answer is yes to both of these, move on to D.

D) You say that creating a new Account User fixes the issue. So, create a new user and make them an admin of the computer. Then, delete the faulty User Account or just don't access it anymore. If this is not an option, move on to E.

E) Take the computer to a computer shop (maybe Best Buy's Geek Squad) and see if they will do their own system restore if none of the above options work. They will more than likely find the issue and get it fixed. If they can't find the issue, the system restore should work. If this does not work, move on to part F.

F) Get a new computer. Hopefully the one he has is under warranty. There must be some connection issue between the motherboard, processing unit, and the keyboard. If none of the above options work then the computer is just faulty.

G) When all else fails put it under the real wheel of your pickup, and put pickup into drive. Don't look back.

• Fire 1

Did you post this? If so, then follow Proton's advice below.

Haha good find, yeah that was me...started to post it this morning but stopped when the site asked me for my CC number, just closed it out. I guess it made its way on...Taking Proton's advice along with Enhance's. Thanks for your help!!!

Agreed and thanks for the recommendations. It was especially easy because the computer is fairly new, so there was minimal data transfer. Still wonder why the keyboard would just shut down for one user and not the others :dunno

Thanks again and to everyone that posted +1s :thumbs