BIG 10 - media bias

I've kind of mentioned this on a couple of other forums, but is anyone else sick and tired of BIG10 network aka ESPN showing a terrible BIG 10 game every Saturday when there are way better games being played? Purdue-Northwestern comes to mind. JEEZ! It's ridiculous! I remember, 2 years ago, having to watch that game when Nebraska was playing a decent north rival like Mizzou or something. I remember thinking, hell I'd settle for a good game right now! Show me an SEC game, at least. The BIG 10 hasn't been good in 10 years. :espnsucks::rant:madash

I've kind of mentioned this on a couple of other forums, but is anyone else sick and tired of BIG10 network aka ESPN showing a terrible BIG 10 game every Saturday when there are way better games being played? Purdue-Northwestern comes to mind. JEEZ! It's ridiculous! I remember, 2 years ago, having to watch that game when Nebraska was playing a decent north rival like Mizzou or something. I remember thinking, hell I'd settle for a good game right now! Show me an SEC game, at least. The BIG 10 hasn't been good in 10 years. :espnsucks::rant:madash

The media is biased towards the Big Ten? Maybe only slightly so after the bowl games, but before that, the media has hated the Big Ten. Everyone picked Oregon over Ohio State. ESPN had this shtick about the Big Ten being slow, boring, conventional football that couldn't compete with the SEC or PAC-10 all year. I don't have any stake in the Big Ten, I'm just saying that our media has a hard-on for the SEC and to a lesser extent, the PAC-10. The Big Ten is always under the boot of the media.

The media is biased towards the Big Ten? Maybe only slightly so after the bowl games, but before that, the media has hated the Big Ten. Everyone picked Oregon over Ohio State. ESPN had this shtick about the Big Ten being slow, boring, conventional football that couldn't compete with the SEC or PAC-10 all year. I don't have any stake in the Big Ten, I'm just saying that our media has a hard-on for the SEC and to a lesser extent, the PAC-10. The Big Ten is always under the boot of the media.

Yeah, ESPN did say some of that stuff, but I think I only heard em' talk about how bad the Big 10 was twice. Plus the BIG10 schools seem to get good match-ups in their bowl games. The only game I thought they were the underdog in was against an overrated LSU team. I tried posting on ESPN.com all the time, early in the year, to ask them why they played these terrible BIG 10 games that no one cared about - like Northwestern v. Purdue. I just think a lot of people at ESPN have ties to BIG 10 schools. Yeah, you're right though. They do have a "hard-on" for the SEC, but at least their good. As far as the PAC-10 goes, you're right, they belong on this thread too.

I just really think the PAC-10 and BIG10 are overrated, and they play a BIG10 game every Saturday afternoon. The C-USA and MWC are almost better than both conferences.

I think one of the reasons why they are on ESPN all of the time is b/c of their rivalries they have with each other. The top tier teams all have trophy games and it is fun to watch the good ones. Living in Little 11 country sucks big time b/c they put the ESPN game on and then another one on for the regional game. The main reason I get frustrated is that they continue to choke their a$$es off in the big time games and still get respect!

I think one of the reasons why they are on ESPN all of the time is b/c of their rivalries they have with each other. The top tier teams all have trophy games and it is fun to watch the good ones. Living in Little 11 country sucks big time b/c they put the ESPN game on and then another one on for the regional game. The main reason I get frustrated is that they continue to choke their a$$es off in the big time games and still get respect!

Ha, that would suck. That's a good theory about the rivalry games. They do have a lot. I wonder how other conferences compare there though, because the BIG 12 has a lot too.

Yeah, ESPN did say some of that stuff, but I think I only heard em' talk about how bad the Big 10 was twice. Plus the BIG10 schools seem to get good match-ups in their bowl games. The only game I thought they were the underdog in was against an overrated LSU team. I tried posting on ESPN.com all the time, early in the year, to ask them why they played these terrible BIG 10 games that no one cared about - like Northwestern v. Purdue. I just think a lot of people at ESPN have ties to BIG 10 schools. Yeah, you're right though. They do have a "hard-on" for the SEC, but at least their good. As far as the PAC-10 goes, you're right, they belong on this thread too.

I just really think the PAC-10 and BIG10 are overrated, and they play a BIG10 game every Saturday afternoon. The C-USA and MWC are almost better than both conferences.

The Big 10 usually has the worst match-ups in bowl games because they usually have their 3,4,5 matched up with another conference's 2,3,4. This year, OSU was an underdog to Oregon (both critically and in the rankings), Northwestern was an underdog to Auburn (although played very close), MSU was an underdog to Texas Tech, and Penn State was an underdog to LSU. Those aren't very favorable. Wisconsin @ Miami was even. ISU beat Minnesota. Also, the Big 10, similar to most Big 12 and Big East teams, always plays their big games in enemy territory.

Big 10 isn't overrated in the slightest bit. Everyone thinks they suck, and it was only until the bowl results came out that some sportswriters gave them credit. They are on the way up though, 2010 should be a better season for the Big 10. Ohio State has lost two National Championships in a row, both to SEC teams. The buzz is that the best of the Big 10 is just antiquated and boring football and cannot compare to the SEC.

The Big 10 usually has the worst match-ups in bowl games because they usually have their 3,4,5 matched up with another conference's 2,3,4. This year, OSU was an underdog to Oregon (both critically and in the rankings), Northwestern was an underdog to Auburn (although played very close), MSU was an underdog to Texas Tech, and Penn State was an underdog to LSU. Those aren't very favorable. Wisconsin @ Miami was even. ISU beat Minnesota. Also, the Big 10, similar to most Big 12 and Big East teams, always plays their big games in enemy territory.

Big 10 isn't overrated in the slightest bit. Everyone thinks they suck, and it was only until the bowl results came out that some sportswriters gave them credit. They are on the way up though, 2010 should be a better season for the Big 10. Ohio State has lost two National Championships in a row, both to SEC teams. The buzz is that the best of the Big 10 is just antiquated and boring football and cannot compare to the SEC.

I'm getting the feeling that you're a BIG 10 backer. I'm not. We obviously have different perspectives there, and so we see things differently. Where you think "everyone thinks they suck..." I think they don't get criticized enough. I'm not trying to say that I'm unbiased here. I'll fully admit that I don't like the BIG 10, and maybe that's clouded my view a little bit. This is the kind of thing that statistics and standings can only support to a degree. I'll try the best I can.

We both agree on the PAC-10 being overrated. Because of that and the rankings, #8 OSU #7 ORE, I think you've got to throw this game out. It's like saying Nebraska was an underdog in the Holiday Bowl. The Northwestern-Auburn game is going to be hard to argue, but Chizik coached at ISU before Auburn. He sucked. That's probably the team that has been most puffed up by the media this year. Northwestern was on an upswing this year. I'm not going to say they're overrated. I'll give them credit, but I'm just going to say that loss isn't as impressive to me as it is to most people. MSU lost to a TTU team that had just lost it's head coach a few days before the game. That kind of thing can create divisions on a team, but TTU still managed to win. LSU was ranked #12 with Penn State at 13. Again, it's hard to say Penn State was the underdog. The game was played in a downpour, which typically favors the bigger team. Also, though, LSU was overrated. They beat a UDub team that has won 5 games in 2 years by 7 points. I'll agree on Miami-Wisconsin being even. I don't know what you're trying to say about ISU beating Minnesota. ISU is among the bottom two teams in the BIG 12 talent-wise. They only beat us 9-7 and we had 8 turnovers.

Going in to every one of these games, I was thinking hey this could go either way. I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong here, but I'm just giving you the opposing view point. I'm not trying to sway you or anything because it's pry not possible, just like you're not going to be able to change my opinion here. Again, I'm definitely biased on this because I don't like the BIG 10. That's why I posted this on the BS part of the board. I think they think they're better than everyone else, and it just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Maybe it is just the media we are exposed to. Everyone on the East Coast hates the Midwest programs (perhaps a cultural element here...) and is all for the Big East basketball and PAC-10 football. Since the Northeast doesn't have any quality college football, the gigantic transplanted SoCal population here makes a lot of people PAC-10 fans, and since the national media is based in NY and LA, our media has more of a PAC-10 tie to it. All we ever hear is how much the Big Ten is an archaic failure of a conference when in reality they are just "average". I am not a Big Ten fan. At all. I am totally indifferent.