Rex Burkhead listed as a breakout player in 2010

I think a healthy Helu will still be the number 1 back. His burst through the hole and ability to cut without losing speed is astounding. Rex however will take all the snaps at our "wild-husker" or whatever you want to name it. Depending on the progress of our QBs I could see Helu getting 17-20 carries a game, Burkhead getting 10-13 carries and Robinson/Heard getting 5 or 6 carries a game.

I agree with the bolded. I don't know about Rex taking all the snaps out of the wild-corn though. We have a lot of guys who can run it I think. It will be interesting to see what Watson does there, but Rex did run it like a pro. I'd like to see Martinez split out when Rex is taking the snap, and motioning back in at qb and stuff like that.

Healthy Helu = majority of the carries. He did take over for Lucky in 08 and looked real good. He got dinged and didn't really fully recover from the MU game. I bet Helu comes out with a chip on his shoulder this fall. Burkhead will be our Spiller/Harvin type of guy, he can pretty much run out of any formation and gives a nice changeup while giving Helu a break. I agree that Heard may make a splash this year, competion for playing time sounds like it might get intense, not a bad way either.

IMO, Helu has shown an inability to take the pounding of a full game. I think it would be to the benefit of the team if becomes the closer, and let Burkhead work in early in games, if not start. Helu seems to run well in the 4th quarter.

I think the reason we saw that has more to do with us pounding the rock for a majority of the game. Eventually the defense gets wore down and its at that point that Helu seems to run wild, even Burkhead had some good runs late in games. This is why moving to a more physical run style offense will vastly improve our chances in the Big12. Most teams are built to try and stop pass happy offenses, but when we lean on an undersized defense for an entire game eventually something has to give. For examples see the T.O. years.

Simply an excellent post, my kind sir.

how do you guys think the carries will be split up between Helu Jr and Burkhead?

I think it depends a lot on the health of Helu. If he stays healthy, I see it playing out like 2009, with Helu getting the majority of the carriers and Burkhead coming in for a change of pace/to rest Helu and wildcat formations. Between Helu, Burkhead, and Trey we are in a good spot as far as RB is concerned, that's for sure.

I see it like this in the beginning of the year- with additional duties of returns going to Burkhead. I think Burkhead and Helu's position flip later in the season. I love Helu, but Burkhead has a sixth sense that is really rare and keeping him off the field will only hurt the team. Trey R diffinetley has some talent, but I could see his brain getting in the way of his success.

We'll know after the spring