What is wrong with the mens team?

Last nights game was Nebraska basketball to a T. Always seem to be playing for only 25-30 minutes a game and not a full 40. I don't see them winning another game this season, I think that was their last legitimate chance to get that treasured 2nd victory in Big XII play. :facepalm:

their last legitimate chance is CU at home. as of early this season they were on something like a 0-20something skid in away conference games. however, as good of a chance as they have to win that one, they have an even better chance to lead for 39 minutes and then blow a 20 point lead in a matter of 59 seconds. i can't say enough how much i love nebrasketball and, yes, doc. however, right now if doc and i were to go hunting i'm not so sure i wouldn't find him wandering into my cross-hairs at least a couple times. at the same time, knowing how pissed i am, i can't imagine the way he is feeling right now. he has made some EXTREMELY poor coaching decisions, but at the same time watching all the games this year, it's clear to me that more often than not doc actually has figured out how to win the game, it's his players that blow it. either cause they're mentally retarded (sek henry) or they're young, undeveloped talent. i don't care what you say, nebraska is not in a position to bring in freshmen that don't need to be developed, not yet anyway. doc took over a program that was run into the ground, and honestly i think his first three years went better than could be expected, which is what's making this year even harder to take. NU has led in the second half in 9 of the 12 conference games they've lost. in two years (and maybe even next year) you can expect to win 5 or 6 of those. that puts you at 6-7 or 7-6 with 3 extremely winnable games left. i'd be happy with an 10-6 record, plus you figure that team would beat st. louis, you're looking at a chance at 22-9 or 23-8. I know, i know, a lot of hypotheticals there; but guess what, in danny nee's 4th year he went 10-18. the very next year he went 26-8. don't give me this bs "oh, but danny was getting better players" doc has plenty of promising freshmen that can develop. i'm not taking doc off the hook or giving him any excuses, as this is absolutely unacceptable, BUT the big xii will not be nearly as strong next year and NU is losing nothing (anderson has been clutch and on fire lately, but no one will miss him next year. we got plenty of shooters that are more athletic sitting on the bench).

i should mention most of what is written above was an attempt to convince myself i should hold on the my season tickets for another year. if you don't like it or think i'm a moron, that's fine. i'm just trying to find some way to convince myself there's still a sliver of hope. it's not working real well, after reading through it, i don't believe half of it myself...

NU will be meaningless until we find a GOOD coach!

Oh yeah, Hi, new poster.

and who is this 'good' coach? where does he come from? what about nebraska attracts him? what would he be doing differently? how would he be able to pull it off? why would he decide to come here over a mid-major that can walk through their conference, make the tourney and then wait for a basketball school to come after him? you have as good of a coach as you are going to be able to get. end of story. unless tom opens up the wallet, but that ain't happening. nebraska basketball doesn't have football's tradition or support, it's going to take time. right now you have a coach willing to work his ass off and doesn't mind not getting the support he deserves. this year sucks balls, sure, i'll be the first to admit this is 110% unacceptable, but nebraska was lucky to even get doc sadler, let alone this 'good' coach you're talking about.

Oh yeah, Hi, new poster.

and who is this 'good' coach? where does he come from? what about nebraska attracts him? what would he be doing differently? how would he be able to pull it off? why would he decide to come here over a mid-major that can walk through their conference, make the tourney and then wait for a basketball school to come after him? you have as good of a coach as you are going to be able to get. end of story. unless tom opens up the wallet, but that ain't happening. nebraska basketball doesn't have football's tradition or support, it's going to take time. right now you have a coach willing to work his ass off and doesn't mind not getting the support he deserves. this year sucks balls, sure, i'll be the first to admit this is 110% unacceptable, but nebraska was lucky to even get doc sadler, let alone this 'good' coach you're talking about.

I disagree. We could easily get a "good" coach, as long as were willing to shell out the money for one. Takes money my friend.

Last nights game was Nebraska basketball to a T. Always seem to be playing for only 25-30 minutes a game and not a full 40. I don't see them winning another game this season, I think that was their last legitimate chance to get that treasured 2nd victory in Big XII play. :facepalm:

their last legitimate chance is CU at home. as of early this season they were on something like a 0-20something skid in away conference games. however, as good of a chance as they have to win that one, they have an even better chance to lead for 39 minutes and then blow a 20 point lead in a matter of 59 seconds. i can't say enough how much i love nebrasketball and, yes, doc. however, right now if doc and i were to go hunting i'm not so sure i wouldn't find him wandering into my cross-hairs at least a couple times. at the same time, knowing how pissed i am, i can't imagine the way he is feeling right now. he has made some EXTREMELY poor coaching decisions, but at the same time watching all the games this year, it's clear to me that more often than not doc actually has figured out how to win the game, it's his players that blow it. either cause they're mentally retarded (sek henry) or they're young, undeveloped talent. i don't care what you say, nebraska is not in a position to bring in freshmen that don't need to be developed, not yet anyway. doc took over a program that was run into the ground, and honestly i think his first three years went better than could be expected, which is what's making this year even harder to take. NU has led in the second half in 9 of the 12 conference games they've lost. in two years (and maybe even next year) you can expect to win 5 or 6 of those. that puts you at 6-7 or 7-6 with 3 extremely winnable games left. i'd be happy with an 10-6 record, plus you figure that team would beat st. louis, you're looking at a chance at 22-9 or 23-8. I know, i know, a lot of hypotheticals there; but guess what, in danny nee's 4th year he went 10-18. the very next year he went 26-8. don't give me this bs "oh, but danny was getting better players" doc has plenty of promising freshmen that can develop. i'm not taking doc off the hook or giving him any excuses, as this is absolutely unacceptable, BUT the big xii will not be nearly as strong next year and NU is losing nothing (anderson has been clutch and on fire lately, but no one will miss him next year. we got plenty of shooters that are more athletic sitting on the bench).

i should mention most of what is written above was an attempt to convince myself i should hold on the my season tickets for another year. if you don't like it or think i'm a moron, that's fine. i'm just trying to find some way to convince myself there's still a sliver of hope. it's not working real well, after reading through it, i don't believe half of it myself...

You moron. :D Just yanking your chain. I understand your passion for the game.

In all seriousness, Doc has to instill some confidence in his program or he's going to lose everything. He needs to go to Jeter and tell him it's his team to lead. Just take the reigns off and let them play basketball. The 60 minute clamp down defense he has them running and the constant pass pass pass offense is wearing them down where they can't finish games.

I say let them run and gun. Let the fans see what kind of talent we have on the bench. If he can't get the fans excited for next year, then he might as well hang it up.

I disagree. We could easily get a "good" coach, as long as were willing to shell out the money for one. Takes money my friend.

if you read what i wrote, my one exception was IF TOM OPEN'S UP THE WALLET. but it won't happen, we're behind in football compared to other schools, he certainly won't dish it out for bball if he's not for football

You moron. :D Just yanking your chain. I understand your passion for the game.

In all seriousness, Doc has to instill some confidence in his program or he's going to lose everything. He needs to go to Jeter and tell him it's his team to lead. Just take the reigns off and let them play basketball. The 60 minute clamp down defense he has them running and the constant pass pass pass offense is wearing them down where they can't finish games.

I say let them run and gun. Let the fans see what kind of talent we have on the bench. If he can't get the fans excited for next year, then he might as well hang it up.

i completely, totally, 150% agree. the season is lost, you're not playing for anything. you've got a new season starting with the big xii tourney and if you lose, it's over. just turn 'em loose and let them play the game they love. who knows, maybe they surprise you with a really strong showing saturday, build some confidence and finish strong. all of a sudden they are that extremely scarey team in the tourney that is playing with reckless abandon and could come out and punch any of the other 11 right in the mouth. i realize that won't happen, but the game plan for the past 13 games hasn't exactly worked so why not cut 'em loose?

also like the comment about jeter. his play has been a little shaky the last couple games (had a few bonehead turnovers lately, uncharacteristic), but i think if doc pulled him aside and said "they're yours, have fun, kick ass" he would respond. of course doc knows his players better than we, but from the outside it looks like he could be the guy

I agree in that he is a good coach. However where he excels in coaching he really lacks in recruiting.

i don't know if this is fair or not, but i've already made up my mind. it's not being talked about much, but doc is searching for a "go-to-guy" that he can bring in with almeida this year. it didn't get a whole lot of pub when that guard decommitted awhile back, but i'm going to watch and see who doc brings in. he has said multiple times this year we need a scoring threat that takes over the last five minutes of a game, and a week ago he sent two of his assistants out to hit the recruiting trail hard and find that guy. if he can bring a guy in this april that ends up being a difference maker, then i'll give him more time. if he swings and misses and gets no one, he's got next year to win me back and if things aren't good next year, i may start calling for a hot seat under doc with all these other guys

Few thoughts from the last couple of posts..

1. After this season I would consider Doc on the hot seat going into next season.

2. we can talk all we want about how if we dished out the money a "good" coach would come here. Remember in the football forum when we were all laughing about how Kansas expected to bring in a big time football coach and how they were upset with the hiring of Gill? It's the same thing on our side for basketball. Until we have some success, we can't expect to get a high calibur coach with the ability to bring in big time recruits and compete in the conference. Until then, expect little known coaches that have only proved they can do a mediocre job at a low level school. That's no diss on Doc but it's the truth.

3. Personally, I think Colorado is going to come in and win by 10-15. I don't see anybody really playing with the "passion" and the i'm not going to loose mentality, except for Anderson, kids on fire lately. You can see that alot of people have given up, I think Henry did 17 games ago. Because really there is nothing to play for except pride, and I don't see that yet with this team. But maybe they can prove me wrong.

Injuries aside, I refuse to buy into the thought that next year is going to be a breakout year until it happens. There will be alot of pressure on Doc, people will be a year older but until someone really steps up they don't have anyone who is going to step up and be a scoring threat, especially with Anderson gone. McCray will help but looking into my crystal ball I still think things will be extremely hard come next season, unless Doc can actually get a game changing recruit this off season. I'm setting the over under at 5 conference wins next year, and as of now i'm taking the under. But i guess if they win more than one game its an improvement right? :laughpound

Few thoughts from the last couple of posts..

1. After this season I would consider Doc on the hot seat going into next season.

2. we can talk all we want about how if we dished out the money a "good" coach would come here. Remember in the football forum when we were all laughing about how Kansas expected to bring in a big time football coach and how they were upset with the hiring of Gill? It's the same thing on our side for basketball. Until we have some success, we can't expect to get a high calibur coach with the ability to bring in big time recruits and compete in the conference. Until then, expect little known coaches that have only proved they can do a mediocre job at a low level school. That's no diss on Doc but it's the truth.

3. Personally, I think Colorado is going to come in and win by 10-15. I don't see anybody really playing with the "passion" and the i'm not going to loose mentality, except for Anderson, kids on fire lately. You can see that alot of people have given up, I think Henry did 17 games ago. Because really there is nothing to play for except pride, and I don't see that yet with this team. But maybe they can prove me wrong.

Injuries aside, I refuse to buy into the thought that next year is going to be a breakout year until it happens. There will be alot of pressure on Doc, people will be a year older but until someone really steps up they don't have anyone who is going to step up and be a scoring threat, especially with Anderson gone. McCray will help but looking into my crystal ball I still think things will be extremely hard come next season, unless Doc can actually get a game changing recruit this off season. I'm setting the over under at 5 conference wins next year, and as of now i'm taking the under. But i guess if they win more than one game its an improvement right? :laughpound

1. exactly like the ku football deal. hadn't thot of it that way, well put

2. mccray COULD help, but if doc keeps the same coaching mentality he won't play half the games. doc didn't come close to playing him as much as he could have last year cause the kid just doesn't seem to get it on the defensive side and doc has made it clear if your defense isn't damn-near perfect, you ain't gonna get the minutes. i hate to say having toney would have changed the season, cause i honestly don't know how much he would have played. he would have helped no doubt, but he may not have had enough minutes to change a loss to a win

Oh yeah, Hi, new poster.

I'm not the AD. I don't have to worry about finding the replacement! So many questions... All those questions are for the AD, I'm just a lifelong basketball fan on a message board.

I agree in that he is a good coach. However where he excels in coaching he really lacks in recruiting.

i don't know if this is fair or not, but i've already made up my mind. it's not being talked about much, but doc is searching for a "go-to-guy" that he can bring in with almeida this year. it didn't get a whole lot of pub when that guard decommitted awhile back, but i'm going to watch and see who doc brings in. he has said multiple times this year we need a scoring threat that takes over the last five minutes of a game, and a week ago he sent two of his assistants out to hit the recruiting trail hard and find that guy. if he can bring a guy in this april that ends up being a difference maker, then i'll give him more time. if he swings and misses and gets no one, he's got next year to win me back and if things aren't good next year, i may start calling for a hot seat under doc with all these other guys

What makes you think he can get that player when after 4 years he still doesn't have that player?

What makes you think he can get that player when after 4 years he still doesn't have that player?

first of all, who said i do think he can get that player? i never once said "i think doc can get that player." i said i will judge him on whether or not he gets that guy. second of all, i do think there is a chance he can. remember roburt sallie? yeah, i know he's not here. that ain't doc's fault, it's admissions fault. dude is a scorer and he wanted to be here.