I need some help from my boys here on the board. I'm looking to purchase a handgun and I don't know squat about them. I have been given advice to get a .40 cal because of it's stopping power and it's manageable size.

Others have said a 9 mill would be better because of cheaper ammo prices and they have about the same stopping power. One person has told me that a .45 would be the way to go.

I want it for home protection and occassional target practice and I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

Any suggestions?????

i prefer the .40 S&W. It shoots like a 9mm (low recoil) and has roughly the stopping power of a .45ACP. It's a great round for a beginner shooter and can still put down targets. I love the Glock 23. It's slightly smaller than a full size Glock, enabling you to conceal carry, but is still big enough to fit comfortably in your hand. It is also a .40S&W. I know of several people that carry these. It is also very reasonably priced

Go to your local sportng goods stor and by 3 little league baseball bats. One for both the front and back door and one to keep by the bed. Go to your local hardware store and get two of their best dead bpot locks and install them on your doors. If you have a patio door get a one inch dowl and put it in the slide so the door won't slide open. Check to make sure all your windows have good locks. If you have older windows the dowl thing will work there to. Keep your cell phone close and 911 on the speed dial. Keep your yard well lit and if you don't have one get a dog. Crooks like dimly lit homes without dogs. This will save you money and keep you safer that having a loaded hand gun in the house. If you still feel the nead to have a deadly weapon in the house buy a 12 gauge shot gun.

T_O_B

Go to your local sportng goods stor and by 3 little league baseball bats. One for both the front and back door and one to keep by the bed. Go to your local hardware store and get two of their best dead bpot locks and install them on your doors. If you have a patio door get a one inch dowl and put it in the slide so the door won't slide open. Check to make sure all your windows have good locks. If you have older windows the dowl thing will work there to. Keep your cell phone close and 911 on the speed dial. Keep your yard well lit and if you don't have one get a dog. Crooks like dimly lit homes without dogs. This will save you money and keep you safer that having a loaded hand gun in the house. If you still feel the nead to have a deadly weapon in the house buy a 12 gauge shot gun.

T_O_B

ah but unless it's sawed off, a shotty is a poor choice for room clearing. trust me, it's my job. a nice handgun will be much better.

I personally don't favor keeping a loaded gun in the house, and especiaally if there are young people in the house.

T_O_B

too true. that can get very dangerous. kids will get into everything. and if you keep the gun and ammo separate, it won't do you much good in the event of a home invasion. however, should you decide to keep a gun in the home, it is important instruct your kids from an early age on gun safety.

I carry a 9 but I still like a .22 pistol for home protection. It doesn't do much damage to your home and once a .22 shell is inside a body, it bounces around and tears the crap out of you.

I don't beleive in calling 911 for home invasions. I respect the police and it is not a slam on them, I have a lot of friends that are officers. But when it comes to my home and family, my dobermans and I will take care of the situation just fine thank you.

This is the sign posted on my door...

post-4948-126627078824.jpg

this is my pooch Demon, he will help you find your way back out the door.

post-4948-126627059272.jpg

First, I agree fully that it's a bad idea to keep an unlocked and loaded gun in the house if you have kids.

If you are still set on a gun, my personal favorite is the Colt 1911. Going on 100 years old . . . and still in the conversation for best handgun. That said, it's not very beginner friendly and a double action or striker fired pistol might be more appropriate if this is your first pistol. Also, if you want the ultimate in reliability and simplicity . . . don't overlook a double action revolver. If it goes click . . . keep pulling the trigger until it fires. No safeties, no learning curve . . . point and pull the trigger.

I just bought my girlfriend a stainless S&W snubby .38 for Christmas. That would do the job nicely.

Finally, if you are set on a semi-auto, S&W is running a rebate special on their Sigma line. The rebate is for $50. When Sigmas go on sale in Omaha they are usually in the $290 range . . . so after your rebate and taxes you'd be looking at somewhere around $260 for a new gun. It's available in 9mm or .40.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=14819&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y

I carry a 9 but I still like a .22 pistol for home protection. It doesn't do much damage to your home and once a .22 shell is inside a body, it bounces around and tears the crap out of you.

***snip***

I don't mean to sound rude . . . but the .22 bullet does not bounce around and tear the crap out of you. It moves in a straight line unless deflected by bone. I know this firsthand because I've skinned hundreds of raccoons that were shot with a .22lr . . . and the wound channel is straight and generally unimpressive.

The .22lr is marginal, at best, for home defense. In most cases you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

I don't beleive in calling 911 for home invasions. I respect the police and it is not a slam on them, I have a lot of friends that are officers. But when it comes to my home and family, my dobermans and I will take care of the situation just fine thank you.

a .22 WILL bounce around IF it hits bone, but they generally move so fast unless they hit something solid they will fly right through you. this is why a ,40S&W or .45ACP is generally favorably looked upon. If you get hit with that center mass, your ass is going down. this is why LEO's and SPECOPS operators favor high caliber bullets. we hate those pu&&y 9mm beretta 92FS's we have issued

***snip***

I don't mean to sound rude . . . but the .22 bullet does not bounce around and tear the crap out of you. It moves in a straight line unless deflected by bone. I know this firsthand because I've skinned hundreds of raccoons that were shot with a .22lr . . . and the wound channel is straight and generally unimpressive.

The .22lr is marginal, at best, for home defense. In most cases you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

unless you are a good shot.

***snip***

unless you are a good shot.

it's dark, most people are scared, adrenaline is pumping, i don't care if you are a good shot or not, unless you are used to that situation, you aren't gonna pull off a headshot

a .22 WILL bounce around IF it hits bone, but they generally move so fast unless they hit something solid they will fly right through you. this is why a ,40S&W or .45ACP is generally favorably looked upon. If you get hit with that center mass, your ass is going down. this is why LEO's and SPECOPS operators favor high caliber bullets. we hate those pu&&y 9mm beretta 92FS's we have issued

I can only agree with that if you mean .22 as in 5.56mm. If you mean .22 long rifle . . . well, it's just not true. Standard velocity .22lr rounds go around 1,000 fps (give or take . . . some go faster, some go slower). That's almost exactly the same speed as 9mm and the .40 S&W, and the .22lr bullet weighs 1/4 to 1/5 of either of those.

***snip***

I don't take anything as rude. It's all good. I too have seen first hand, and not on animals. I'll stick with using it.