I carry a 9 but I still like a .22 pistol for home protection. It doesn't do much damage to your home and once a .22 shell is inside a body, it bounces around and tears the crap out of you.

***snip***

I don't mean to sound rude . . . but the .22 bullet does not bounce around and tear the crap out of you. It moves in a straight line unless deflected by bone. I know this firsthand because I've skinned hundreds of raccoons that were shot with a .22lr . . . and the wound channel is straight and generally unimpressive.

The .22lr is marginal, at best, for home defense. In most cases you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

I don't take anything as rude. It's all good. I too have seen first hand, and not on animals. I'll stick with using it.

Care to elaborate? And we are talking about unplated, lead, .22lr rounds, correct?

I carry a 9 but I still like a .22 pistol for home protection. It doesn't do much damage to your home and once a .22 shell is inside a body, it bounces around and tears the crap out of you.

I don't beleive in calling 911 for home invasions. I respect the police and it is not a slam on them, I have a lot of friends that are officers. But when it comes to my home and family, my dobermans and I will take care of the situation just fine thank you.

This is the sign posted on my door...

post-4948-126627078824.jpg

this is my pooch Demon, he will help you find your way back out the door.

post-4948-126627059272.jpg

If for some reason you can't keep a dog, sometimes just the sign will do. I also like your .22 cal. advise, and especially for someone who is inexperienced. The ammo is fairly inexpensive and that alone gives you an opportunity to practice and become profecient in the use of your weapon.

T_O_B

***snip***

I don't mean to sound rude . . . but the .22 bullet does not bounce around and tear the crap out of you. It moves in a straight line unless deflected by bone. I know this firsthand because I've skinned hundreds of raccoons that were shot with a .22lr . . . and the wound channel is straight and generally unimpressive.

The .22lr is marginal, at best, for home defense. In most cases you'd be better off with a baseball bat.

unless you are a good shot.

it's dark, most people are scared, adrenaline is pumping, i don't care if you are a good shot or not, unless you are used to that situation, you aren't gonna pull off a headshot

^^^This^^^

Plus, intruders aren't likely to stand still in the light for you.

***snip***

it's dark, most people are scared, adrenaline is pumping, i don't care if you are a good shot or not, unless you are used to that situation, you aren't gonna pull off a headshot

Thats pretty true but you have two major advantages. You know your home layout, and they have to come to you. I could easily squeeze off 10 rounds into a targets chest from 10 yards. I have never killed a man, I have never pointed a gun at another man. But i know myself well enough to know if someone has put my wife or son in danger I would kill him in the blink of an eye.

Yes a .22 will not have the stopping power that a larger caliber will. It will not drop a man like a .40. But a bullet through your lungs/heart/brain works pretty much the same regardless of caliber.

not that it matters. the only weapon I could easily use if it were to happen is my 12 gauge. Pretty hard to miss someone walking down a hallway with that thing.

***snip***

^^^This^^^

I'll put it like this. I started shooting when I was 7. I would consider myself a very good shot. A dead eye even. ;) If I know the layout and know stratigic placements I feel I could perform with almost any weapon. Put me someplace I am unfamilar with and take away all my advantages, And I totally agree with you guys. Give me the largest caliber you have and even better a 12 or 10 gauge with buck shot.

***snip***

I don't take anything as rude. It's all good. I too have seen first hand, and not on animals. I'll stick with using it.

Care to elaborate? And we are talking about unplated, lead, .22lr rounds, correct?

I didn't shoot anybody with mine, if that's what your getting at. :lol: Just from pictures and autopsy reports from friends. The reports I have are from the 22 long shells. I honestly could not tell you exactly what I have. I bought some at the last gun show I went to and they have Russian wrote all over the boxes. They almost look like a little hollow point. I'll try to take a pic and post it.

Have you seen the Sigmas on sale in Omaha lately? I also looked at the snubby for my women. She loves the country, except for when I'm gone working over night.

We can go on and on about which hand gun is better. I for one still like the idea of a dog and a ballbat. If for no other reason than I never had a hand gun that would put its head in my lap or lick my face or welcome me home at the end of the day.

T_O_B

TO you are correct also. Although I do have a shotgun in my room, I also have a well lit house, two good door locks, good windows and locks, and an alarm system with motion detection. My gun is the absolute last resort and I would rather never have another human at the other end of the barrel

***snip***

^^^This^^^

I'll put it like this. I started shooting when I was 7. I would consider myself a very good shot. A dead eye even. ;) If I know the layout and know stratigic placements I feel I could perform with almost any weapon. Put me someplace I am unfamilar with and take away all my advantages, And I totally agree with you guys. Give me the largest caliber you have and even better a 12 or 10 gauge with buck shot.

No worries. And not to get into a pissing match, but I'd already shot my first pheasant at age 7. I've been shooting guns from pellet guns all the way up to a few shots with a .50bmg for 21 years now . . . that said . . . a .22lr would not be my first choice for home defense. I'll stick with my Kimber .45 thank you. :)

We can go on and on about which hand gun is better. I for one still like the idea of a dog and a ballbat. If for no other reason than I never had a hand gun that would put its head in my lap or lick my face or welcome me home at the end of the day.

T_O_B

:yeah:) This is very true. If you choose to have a gun, please choose to be safe about it. And I really don't want to argue guns with you guy's that use them everyday to defend our country. Thank You! :woo

***snip***

I didn't shoot anybody with mine, if that's what your getting at. :lol: Just from pictures and autopsy reports from friends. The reports I have are from the 22 long shells. I honestly could not tell you exactly what I have. I bought some at the last gun show I went to and they have Russian wrote all over the boxes. They almost look like a little hollow point. I'll try to take a pic and post it.

Have you seen the Sigmas on sale in Omaha lately? I also looked at the snubby for my women. She loves the country, except for when I'm gone working over night.

I think Bass Pro had the Sigmas @ around $300 a few weeks ago. I'd just watch the fliers that come with the newspaper and they seem to have them on sale at Cabelas, Scheels, or BP about once a month. The rebate promotion goes until April 1.

Anybody see the History Channel piece on long range snipers yesterday? This show was awesome. From over a mile away the sniper put down 3 terroists who were hiding behind a concrete block wall. He was using a .50 cal sniper rifel. I'm really happy these guys are on our side.

T_O_B

Anybody see the History Channel piece on long range snipers yesterday? This show was awesome. From over a mile away the sniper put down 3 terroists who were hiding behind a concrete block wall. He was using a .50 cal sniper rifel. I'm really happy these guys are on our side.

T_O_B

I have it on the DVR, haven't watched it yet. There is a tribute video on YouTube that shows these guys walking down the dirt street through some third world turd and they pluck off the two guys on each side and third guy just stands there wondering what the hell just happened...................he didn't have to wonder for long.

Don't buy a 9mm for home defense. The high velocity and small size of the bullet will make it go straight through unprotected targets, which could be dangerous in a small environment where there might be people/things you don't want to hit. Go with a larger and slower calibre like a .45 or .40 S&W... Actually I don't know if the .40 S&W is like that or not.