Multiple Positions

just a thought........you see and hear alot about players moving around, practicing in alot of different different positions, while we all know the flexibility of having guys being able to play more than one position, i sometimes wonder if the trade-off of not having enough reps at any one positon is worth it? especially with so many new guys and such a short pre-season training schedule......is this common with other teams? is it possible this philosophy may hurt the consistency we are looking for, especially on defense? is this Cally's scheme or Coz's? just looking for some thoughts on the results that may or may not come from doing this, especially getting so close to the 1st game......

hunter

You know what they say "knowledge is power". When you have guys who have played on both the offensive line and defensive line, it helps create stability because if an OL or DL for example went down, someone who has already played OL and been switched DL could come in and it would be like you never really lost the guy at that position. This is something several NFL teams like the Falcons, The Ravens, the Oilers and Cowboys for example are doing these days

nameless, i couldn't agree with you more....my only concern is that might be asking alot to take these kids, some with only a few college snaps under their belts, and ask them to learn more than one position in 3-4 weeks of practice.

true we mat noy have a choice, but i sure like the idea of most guys getting really proficient at playing one position......this may be common in the NFL, but i am not so sure it makes so much sense in the college ranks, given the limited experience some of these kids may have.....anyway, it does make for interesting possibilities

hunter

nameless, i couldn't agree with you more....my only concern is that might be asking alot to take these kids, some with only a few college snaps under their belts, and ask them to learn more than one position in 3-4 weeks of practice.

true we mat noy have a choice, but i sure like the idea of most guys getting really proficient at playing one position......this may be common in the NFL, but i am not so sure it makes so much sense in the college ranks, given the limited experience some of these kids may have.....anyway, it does make for interesting possibilities

hunter

Yes., but you need to keep in mind that some of these kids going pro will get switched around. A guy coming out as an offensive lineman might be drafted as a Devensive Lineman in the NFL, so if he has the schemes for defensive lineman down, it might help him get ahead of other guys who are drafted for that same position on the team. Same for guys who are drafted as Cornerbacks and get switched to Strong Safety or Free safety. It might not seem very productive right now but Callahan and company are doing them a BIG favor

You also need to keep in mind that these players at NU have other responsibilities other than football, class you know. In pro football, players are paid to put in their 8 hour or 10 hour day. In college, you just don't get this much time.

Due to the youth of the players and the lack of preparation time, I just don't think it's the wisest move moving players around to different positions. In the spring, it makes sense as you don't have a game for several months. However, I don't think it's wise doing it just a few weeks before the first game. Time will tell.