Joe Ganz gives insight into NU offense

COLUMBUS -- Ex-Nebraska quarterback Joe Ganz is working on special projects for the Huskers.

205220-1262726709.jpg He is looking into different offensive schemes used throughout the NFL and NCAA to see what successful rushing and passing offenses do to gain the edge on opponents. He shared some of his thoughts Wednesday at the 7 Mile Steakhouse during the Big Red Review Show.

“As an offensive intern, I do all I can within the rules,” Ganz said. “Right now, I’m working on special projects, seeing what the New Orleans Saints do in the passing game and what Oregon does in their spread run schemes.”

The Huskers are trying to get better offensively than a season ago. Ganz’s findings from his film study could alter the way the Huskers do things in a subtle manner. With the understanding of how other offenses gain a slight advantage, the Huskers can apply some of the same philosophies to their offense.

“The Saints’ passing game, the Oregon and Nevada running games, all teams do things a little differently,” said Ganz, who was joined by the Associate Athletic Director of Football at Nebraska Jeff Jamrog. “We want to know how they do things differently because it can give us ideas on how to get better. We want to know the little things that successful offenses do to improve our own. We want to know how teams block plays, what formations they use to gain advantages. My job right now is to check everything out and see what they do.”

Ganz said he hopes his knowledge of the offense will help Nebraska quarterbacks Zach Lee and Cody Green develop and they can excel when it comes time to step back into Memorial Stadium.

“If those guys have questions for me, hopefully I can answer them,” Ganz said. With my experience playing and being in the system, I think I can do a lot to help the offense get back to where we want to be and where we should be.”

After Ganz’s departure from the Huskers, Nebraska’s offensive production fell from 450 to 322 yards per game. With total yards per game dropping, NU’s average points per game fell from 35 to 25. But the Huskers played to their strength in 2009. The defense improved, allowing the offense to play a more conservative style.

Ganz said he thinks it just takes time. Nebraska had a new quarterback and new receivers so it was expected. But now, with a year under Lee’s and Green’s belts, Ganz expects the overall offensive production to go back up.

“It’s just about gelling together,” he said. “Keep working and keep fighting through. It’s going to help that our main guys have experience now. Experience in the spotlight means a lot to how a player will react. Once they start growing more and more together, I think we’ll be back.”

The quarterback and receivers have to be on the same page in the Nebraska offense. The Huskers usually attack two coverages with one play. One side of the formation is designed to beat a cover two defense, while the other attacks a cover three. The wide receivers and the quarterback need to read the coverage right for a pass play to be successful.

“The defense that we are facing dictates what we call and where the ball goes,” Ganz said. “As soon as we recognize the coverage we’re reading, we throw to the right side. It’s really like can you play monkey in the middle with one guy.”

Ganz relishes the opportunity to step into coaching. While it’s not playing football on Sundays, the fire that drove him as a player, drives him to excel at his new job.

“I want to coach, I want to be around the game,” Ganz said. “Playing and coaching give me the same feeling. You’re still doing whatever you can to win. You still have that competitive nature, trying to out-think your opponent, trying to find ways to beat the defense so it’s a very similar feeling. The difference is you don’t get beat up so it’s not too bad.”

LINK

• Fire 1