Husker coaches excited about Martinez's potential

You might want to go back and re-read the article. Direct quote from the coaches themselves:

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing and staying — at quarterback'.

Not wide receiver. Not safety.

Sure, they're options. Watson said those doors aren't closed, and that the quiet, humble Martinez is open-minded about playing another position.

"But are we going to do it? No, because we want to see this through," Watson said. "He's got talent."

And .. ?

Did you expect Bo to come out and openly criticize or talk about a potential move for any player? Martinez was going to get his shot this spring to prove he is a QB, and Bo is giving it to him. And while Taylor can run with anyone, the kid is still a horrid passer. :dunno

Further, these stories that come out ever spring need to be toned down 10 notches to get their real value. Every spring it it is full of cheer, outstanding progressions of players, and everything of the sort. Writers and coaches fill us fans up with expectations to get us excited for the season. Happens every year.

You might want to go back and re-read the article. Direct quote from the coaches themselves:

'Nebraska coach Bo Pelini was adamant in his pre-spring news conference about the 6-foot-1, 195-pound Martinez playing and staying — at quarterback'.

Not wide receiver. Not safety.

Sure, they're options. Watson said those doors aren't closed, and that the quiet, humble Martinez is open-minded about playing another position.

"But are we going to do it? No, because we want to see this through," Watson said. "He's got talent."

And .. ?

Did you expect Bo to come out and openly criticize or talk about a potential move for any player? Martinez was going to get his shot this spring to prove he is a QB, and Bo is giving it to him. And while Taylor can run with anyone, the kid is still a horrid passer. dunno.gif

Further, these stories that come out ever spring need to be toned down 10 notches to get their real value. Every spring it it is full of cheer, outstanding progressions of players, and everything of the sort. Writers and coaches fill us fans up with expectations to get us excited for the season. Happens every year.

Well let me ask you this, what would you rather talk about? Also could you please cite a source, proof, anything regarding how horrible of a passer Martinez is?????

Did you see Green pass the ball last year?????

I like articles like this. It does get me excited about someone's potential. If you do not choose to do so then there's nothing wrong with that either. That's your perogative.

It is the spring. Football is right around the corner. The quarterback race is a toss up right now. A complete and total toss up. There are Green fans, there are anti Green fans. There are Lee and Martinez fans. There's even

Spano and Washington fans out there. If someone tells me not to get excited about any member of our football team I guess I don't understand that logic. I love talking about Nebraska football. The what if's, sharing opinions with

people. It is significant that the coaches have said Martinez is staying put at quarterback since coming in that was not the case. Of course it's possible that down the road things could change. That goes for any player on our roster.

Lastly the quarterback I am the most excited about is Carnes. It's not even Martinez....

Well let me ask you this, what would you rather talk about? Also could you please cite a source, proof, anything regarding how horrible of a passer Martinez is?????

I like articles like this. It does get me excited about someone's potential. If you do not choose to do so then there's nothing wrong with that either. That's your perogative.

It is the spring. Football is right around the corner. The quarterback race is a toss up right now. A complete and total toss up. There are Green fans, there are anti Green fans. There are Lee and Martinez fans. There's even

Spano and Washington fans out there. If someone tells me not to get excited about any member of our football team I guess I don't understand that logic. I love talking about Nebraska football. The what if's, sharing opinions with

people. It is significant that the coaches have said Martinez is staying put at quarterback since coming in that was not the case. Of course it's possible that down the road things could change. That goes for any player on our roster.

Lastly the quarterback I am the most excited about is Carnes. It's not even Martinez....

Holy jeebus, Batman. Calm 'er down about 3 notches before you give yourself a coronary.

Source: myself. Martinez has always been a project as a passer, as I have noted since his HS days. His motion was horrid, which he has corrected quite a bit. All reports I have heard coming from practice is that Martinez still throws quite a bad ball, and doesn't have a grip on the offense either. Been more than one occasion where he forget the play between the huddle an getting to the line.

Yes, I saw Green pass last year. I also saw more video than I should have of him in HS and noted back then that Cody would have an incredibly difficult time adapting to college as a passer. Got beat to heck for saying that as well. Cody still has a ways to go himself, but he has spent more time in this offense than Taylor and has not been playing other positions as well in the past year.

I'm sure you do like articles like that. But there are hundreds of them every spring. Never do you see an article talking about how bad a player performs, but only building players up. You won't see articles about how none of our safeties are stepping up. Or the same about our LBs. You will not hear an article talking about how no one outside of Niles Paul is stepping up at WR. Stuff like that won't get mentioned in the press this time of year, and it never is.

Articles are all bright and sunshiney (is that a word?) that leaves us all with huge expectations for a player. And that article especially won't mention how Bo was insanely close to putting Taylor at WR for good just a few weeks ago. Which is why I have said what I have said.

And lastly, that is great for you. However, you cannot take what these coaches say and believe it as the complete truth. It's like the situation with Carnes, where Bo would not put any blame on Carnes, but instead put full blame on recruiting websites for what happened. Or the Cody Glenn situation. Bo will NEVER say a bad word about one of his kids, regardless of situation or circumstance. Which is why you have to take pretty much everything he says with a grain of salt.

Personally, IMO, this spring is showing the coaching staff more and more that Zac Lee is the only QB we have that is really ready to do work. I know, Zac Lee, blasphemy! But no one can even compete with him as a passer right now, and it isn't even close.

Holy jeebus, Batman. Calm 'er down about 3 notches before you give yourself a coronary.

Source: myself. Martinez has always been a project as a passer, as I have noted since his HS days. His motion was horrid, which he has corrected quite a bit. All reports I have heard coming from practice is that Martinez still throws quite a bad ball, and doesn't have a grip on the offense either. Been more than one occasion where he forget the play between the huddle an getting to the line.

Yes, I saw Green pass last year. I also saw more video than I should have of him in HS and noted back then that Cody would have an incredibly difficult time adapting to college as a passer. Got beat to heck for saying that as well. Cody still has a ways to go himself, but he has spent more time in this offense than Taylor and has not been playing other positions as well in the past year.

I'm sure you do like articles like that. But there are hundreds of them every spring. Never do you see an article talking about how bad a player performs, but only building players up. You won't see articles about how none of our safeties are stepping up. Or the same about our LBs. You will not hear an article talking about how no one outside of Niles Paul is stepping up at WR. Stuff like that won't get mentioned in the press this time of year, and it never is.

Articles are all bright and sunshiney (is that a word?) that leaves us all with huge expectations for a player. And that article especially won't mention how Bo was insanely close to putting Taylor at WR for good just a few weeks ago. Which is why I have said what I have said.

And lastly, that is great for you. However, you cannot take what these coaches say and believe it as the complete truth. It's like the situation with Carnes, where Bo would not put any blame on Carnes, but instead put full blame on recruiting websites for what happened. Or the Cody Glenn situation. Bo will NEVER say a bad word about one of his kids, regardless of situation or circumstance. Which is why you have to take pretty much everything he says with a grain of salt.

Personally, IMO, this spring is showing the coaching staff more and more that Zac Lee is the only QB we have that is really ready to do work. I know, Zac Lee, blasphemy! But no one can even compete with him as a passer right now, and it isn't even close.

Good post Willie. I do agree with you regarding how some articles can create hype. Truly it boils down to when a guy is finally playing and what he can on the field. I respect your opinion and enjoyed your post. I just can't wait to see how the qb race plays out and honestly I think it's going to be Zac Lee in the end with his experience. I want to see what he can do healthy too and if there's a difference.

Anyone wish they were televising the spring game? I can't wait to see the highlights.

You won't see articles about how none of our safeties are stepping up. Or the same about our LBs.

Are these examples thrown out for the sake of example, or is this actually the case? If so, uh oh.

It's true.

Constant rotation at safety between 4-5 guys where no one is latching on to the job. Gomes is the best of the bunch, and has played safety for about a month. Even Blatchford was getting an extended look at safety before he busted up his knee, if that tells you anything.

And Niles is being Niles (the end of season version of Niles :)), while the rest of our WR's are doing what they do best - nothing.